Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tiger4life

More Run Less..

Well last Saturday was our first game and it was a close one but we pulled it out thanks to Coach Robs playbook. I had to modify it for 6 men flag, basically add a player and their route. We won our first game and I believe we have a special team, my question is if we have 4 downs to get across the midfield line and 4 after that to score would it be better to run more running plays and use the quick short yardage stuff closer to midfield.

The reason I ask is most coaches me included seem really quick to try the deep pass and 6 on 6 5th & 6th graders the long pass is not a high percentage play. I caught my self panicking the first part of the game and trying get get big yards quick, the second half I backed off and used our speed running the ball until we got close to midfield then going to drag plays and it seemed to work well. The short center 7 slot drags seem to be high percentage plays.

Do you veteran coaches think this way, am I on the right track.

Oh yea Shotgun or under-center?

I only run Shotgun plays.I want my QB to be able to read the defense a little better.With kids that age I would only run short passes and run the ball.Most kids that age cant catch deep & if they can you may not have a QB who can throw it deep.So its better to stick with a short passing game & a good running game.A good running game will setup the pass and create bigger gains so you'll have success either way around.Dont panic and stick to what works for your team.

Congrats on the win. Depends on your philosophy, I try and crunch it out to get more ball touches per kid. However, if I can score in one play I'll take it. If it takes 6-7 plays we've given more kids an opportunity to touch the ball, but I'm always hoping for big gains or a score especially early in the game.

Oh yea Shotgun or under-center?
Shotgun most of the time, switch to under center depending on the play I'm running.

I've always believed (and still do) that short passes and runs are the best way to work the ball down the field.

We're almost always under center.

<br />I've always believed (and still do) that short passes and runs are the best way to work the ball down the field. <br /><br />We're almost always under center.<br />

I tried running shotgun with our 3rd/4th grade team this last winter and it went terrible. We dropped at least 2-3 snaps per game while we were doing it so I went back to under center after a couple of games.

If you keep the same center all the time it might work at this age but it requires alot of practice and consistency.

In theory I love the shotgun and I'll probably try it again in another year.

If you keep the same center all the time it might work at this age but it requires alot of practice and consistency.
You nailed it. That's the reason I use my son as center quite frequently; we practice in the backyard a lot. He's only 10, but I've got him to a point where he can snap from different distances with consistency.

Coach Rob thank you for your playbook it has worked wonderfully in each game. We are now 4-0 now and rolling, we have been playing exclusively in the shotgun because of the rush and trying to buy some time for our QB. I am having a hard time keeping my QB looking for the player dragging he has a tendency to look for the deep route. But Coach Rob your playbook is one of the big differences in our team this year, I have had parents and refs in every game tell me that the play calling is great and I feel it's more the plas you have posted than my play calling.

I think I attached them to one of my post but I will post them hear for you guys to look at and if you see something I could do different let me know.

Wristband week 2.2.pdf