Y-coach.com - Forum
bobretro

Game Highlights On Youtube

I've definitely found the right place. People here think I'm crazy for how much time and attention I put into coaching but its a combination of 2 things I love most- my children and my favorite sport.

Been coaching 3 seasons of 5/5 5-6 year old flag football here in Phoenix. We have a few good leagues here with about 8 teams in our age division, pretty intense competition among the top 3-4 teams. First season we were 4-4 and lost in the playoffs 1st round. Second season we were 6-2 and lost in the championship. This past Fall we finished 15-0-1, on the championship and then also won a Valley-wide championship tournament consisting of all the teams. Biggest things I learned was to not get caught up so much in offense and really commit 70-80% of practice time to defensive fundamentals. A great defense is an equalizer. This past fall our kids only allowed 6 ppg. And we did this with a roster of 10 kids who all got equal playing time. The DBs always pushed runners inside and the middle 3 gobble the plays up.

Offensively I worked on the passing game against weaker opponents but against the great teams, its really the reverses, double reverses that get it done b/c most teams in this age division fall badly for misdirection. Trying to throw against the older, faster teams was a challenge b/c the QB has to lead the receiver which is easier said than done at this age. That being said, my son was the QB. In his 3 seasons he ended with 23 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and about a 65% completion rate. At least 90% of his passes were inside of 7 yards but he could get it out to the 10-12 yard range. Beyond that was an adventure.

Here is video of their playoff run from this past season. Love reading about all of your kids and experiences. Thanks for allowing me to be part of your board.

• Like 1

I've definitely found the right place. People here think I'm crazy for how much time and attention I put into coaching but its a combination of 2 things I love most- my children and my favorite sport.
Man, keep that team together. They'd be off the hook in a few more years.

Whiskey, your vids are absolutely amazing. Not sure what your day job is but I'd bet you could have a second in the cinematography/editing world if you so choose.

Your team looks great too. Their fakes and execution are killer!!

We are playing in the Cedar Park 5th/6th grade winter league again this year. Looks like you play South Austin, but it'd be fun to catch one of your games if you guys ever play North...

I know i dont coach flag anymore but hopefully you guys all remember me...heres some of my teams tackle stuff.

RB Run-This RB was probably the most physical kid in the league.Best athlete i've ever coached in my life.

TD Pass

Whiskey, your vids are absolutely amazing. Not sure what your day job is but I'd bet you could have a second in the cinematography/editing world if you so choose.

Your team looks great too. Their fakes and execution are killer!!

We are playing in the Cedar Park 5th/6th grade winter league again this year. Looks like you play South Austin, but it'd be fun to catch one of your games if you guys ever play North...

Thanks. We played a season at Murchison a few years ago, but that was as far north as we've been. Last several seasons we've played 3/4 or 3/4/5 in South Austin, Westlake, Regents, etc.

We've got a pretty solid pee wee team shaping up in i9 south (4 & 5 y/o). They're moving to NFL in Spring. You can tell the boys all have older brothers. Lots of fun. (3m 01s):

I know i dont coach flag anymore but hopefully you guys all remember me...heres some of my teams tackle stuff.RB Run-This RB was probably the most physical kid in the league.Best athlete i've ever coached in my life.
Hey Rush! That kid definitely has the RB mentality, the ref was lucky he didn't mow him down.
We've got a pretty solid pee wee team shaping up in i9 south (4 & 5 y/o). They're moving to NFL in Spring. You can tell the boys all have older brothers.
Another great vid. You keep those boys together and that could turn into a great team. Just remember us when you're rich and famous. heh

Playing around with a newer version of Premiere Pro and using slow motion. Several clips from this past weekend. 2nd/3rd grade 5v5. For some reason, google defaults to a lower quality, if you click the little gear in the lower right corner, you can select 720p HD and it is better quality video (even on full screen). Not quite Whiskey Alpha quality video, but slow mo turned out pretty smooth. Click here.

https://docs.google....N2xNa29UM0lGYXM

How are you getting these videos to embed in the forum? Thanks.

Some nice videos. Makes me kinda jealous with how some rules are in other areas lol. I see blocking, QB keepers and tosses. We're not allowed to do any of those where I coach. Makes it more exciting that's for sure.

We are allowing pitches for the first time this season, as well as interceptions being returnable. Our season starts a week from Saturday. I am anxious to see how it works out with the new rules.

Another year gone. Time for another ATX Falcons flag football yearbook (3m 21s).

It's amazing how much our core group has developed since summer 2011.

http://youtu.be/daeHitsAvgc

Have to say just watched several of your videos and I am very impressed with:

1. The form and footwork of the Quarterbacks

2. The amount of catches with the hands of the receivers (very few body catches).

3. The manner in which several runners make just one quick cut and continue up field.

Granted I know these are just highlight reals, but it really shows that you have done very good teaching the fundamentals. Any special tricks you have around these areas or is this a lot of by product of getting a good group of kids and multiple seasons with them?

Another school year gone for the ATX Falcons. We played three seasons of 5/6 and 5/6 Elite and generally maintained a 70/30 split of 4th/5th grade.

Giving up two birthdays at this level was much more challenging than previous years. Our boys hadn't ever seen 12 y/o speed (or acne). It was a great experience for them. Every game was a dogfight. Every game, they had to be salty.

In the end, they won a championship, lost a championship, and played their guts out just to go 4-4 in the spring.

https://vimeo.com/67629520

I am sure there will be new videos once the Fall season ends.

alpha - that's insane. those boys are very crisp on their execution of fakes, handoffs, and quick passes. The athleticism is quite good for 6/7 yr olds. Should be fun seeing these guys in a few years.

Very impressed with my little guys after this last season. It was their third season doing some form of quick game. Roster is two 1st graders, three 2nd graders, and two 3rd graders.

They exclusively pass the ball unless the QB recognizes man coverage.

Another year almost gone. Still a work in progress, but the boys keep getting better and better. Roster is mostly 2nd / 3rd grade and two 4th grade. Since last year we've exclusively played 3/4 NFL Flag in central Texas.

Enjoy.

I've been updating this thread every year since 2011 when some of my players were 4 years old.  And every year they get better and better and better.  Fun to watch this group and even more fun to coach. They are mix of 3rd and 4th grade.