Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
esimmons00

8 On 8 League

I am doing an 8-on-8 for the first time this year. Only D-tackles can cross the line of scrimmage. It is a feeder league for the tackle program (I have 3rd and 4th graders, tackle starts in 5th grade) so we are pushed as coaches to teach a lot of basic football skills. Naming formations, calling running plays by player and hole numbers and such. First scrimmages are this Saturday (9/12). What kind of info are you looking for? I know one of the long-time posters on the forum also coaches 8-on-8 too (maybe Johnp2) as well.

We do block full contact. Only the D-tackles can cross the line of scrimmage. Most of our pass plays are run off misdirection or to our linemen that we hope the defense neglects (we use running backs as decoys to draw the defense). With the instant rush from the line (even though we will double team the tackles as they rush) it is tough to get a QB set up for a traditional pass play. We roll him out or use an end around to get the defense moving and then target a specific spot for the receiver. For example, we run the Center on both a seam route (10 yards down the field) and a wing on an arrow route to the side that the qb is rolling. If the D doesn't get to the outside quick enough (watching the pay fake going the other way), the Wing will be open with plenty of open space in front. If they stay at home on defense, the center will have split the safeties (and hopefully gotten a bit lost in the scrum in the middle).

Our QB's can also rush, so the bootleg action usually gives him the opportunity to make positive yards if the pass is covered. If the Linebackers get out on the Wing receiver, the QB has about 7 yards in front of him before the other LB. I will try to post my playbook next week, but it may not be too helpful - it is run heavy (based on my team) and you will probably want to spread the field ALOT more than we are able to do. Getting your kids moving at full speed, in space, with the ball is the key to advancing the ball.

I would take a look at the playbooks here on the forum and just add 2 or 3 players as the case may be. Orange and Coach Rob (i think have some great ideas). Also, depending on the age of the kids, I would use colors for each player on the diagram. I did that last year with 1st and 2nd graders and they picked it up well. We worked on the position names during practice, but games get a little hectic for the younger kids.

I was looking for some basic passing plays. Is contact allowed in your league? In our league, contact is not allowed.

Hi there!

I'm coaching a couple of 8 on 8 teams (8-9 year olds, 10-13 year olds) at the local YMCA where contact is not allowed.

I've put together a few basic plays, but have no idea how to translate them into this site. Currently they are in crude form on Excel.

It's my opinion that the easiest way to pass at the younger age group is a quick in route or out route. It is simple for the kids to follow and easy to teach/coach.

I'll try to figure out how to put it on this site and try to get it uploaded. I'd email it, but to be frank there are alot of people out there putting viruses into excel files and such, so I'm not demanding someone trust me, an unknown person on a website!

Oh, a piece of advice from what I've learned - unless you're in a young agegroup (7 & under), don't try to let everyone play the quarterback position. Pick three or four players for that position, so they can be more intensely coached. I've gone through a few seasons letting everyone play QB, and it's led to some interesting results (not all of which were good!).

I've put together a few basic plays, but have no idea how to translate them into this site. Currently they are in crude form on Excel.

You can always upload them. I'm sure most would like to see them. Let us know if you need instructions on how to upload them.

It's my opinion that the easiest way to pass at the younger age group is a quick in route or out route. It is simple for the kids to follow and easy to teach/coach.

Agreed. We were 7-9 last year, and passed quite a bit (much more than our opponents). We ran a lot of drag routes and quite a few outs. It was a methodical dink and dunk. The biggest advantage of this was that because we passed as often as we ran---we were able to keep the defense on their heels--whereas our opponents would only attempt 3-5 passes per game.

Oh, a piece of advice from what I've learned - unless you're in a young agegroup (7 & under), don't try to let everyone play the quarterback position. Pick three or four players for that position, so they can be more intensely coached. I've gone through a few seasons letting everyone play QB, and it's led to some interesting results (not all of which were good!).

Agreed again. We have two QBs in our team. My son (who is the starting QB) and one other player who is the backup and plays one quarter at the position each game. <ProudFather> My is our starting QB because I coach him on the position outside of our team practices--thus he knows the position very well. He went through some growing pains, but last season there was no doubt he was the best QB in our league--due to all of his hard work.</ProudFather>. If a player wants to be the backup QB on our team, he must do a lot of self-study because as you alluded to---it's difficult to put the sort emphasis required on the position during practice and focus on the other seven positions---for me it is at least. :-)