Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach Rob

Fall Season 2009

We ended up in a 10-14 division this season which is definitely going to be a challenge. Lost our first game today 17-6. Some of the other teams kids were tall and incredibly quick. Very tempting to run hotshot against hotshot, but we held to our philosophy of ball touches, everyone had at least 2+.

I don't think it's fair to your team to do that. I'm sure your team would benefit more from winning than everyone getting embarrased trying to run the ball. To me, that is putting kids in a position to fail. I would stick with you best two backs and teach all the kids that no position is more important than the other. When you try to let everyone play QB or touch the ball, your sending the message that those are the only important positions. I know that isn't your intent but that's what happens. Lastly, kids enjoy winning and giving them a shot to win is part of your job as a coach. If my son played on a team that did this it would be short lived because it's sending the wrong message in my book.

We won 25-7. It was good to get the first game done and see what this team looks like during a game. Our boys were clearly better athletes and more experienced so I wasn't surprised at the outcome. We gave up a late touchdown because I told our D coordinator to switch to man coverage for the practice. Up until that point we hadn't yielded a first down with our 1-1-3. We had an inexperienced player let his man slip by and the result was the td. I'm not sure our kid understands man defense. But that's something we can work on. My offense did enough to move the ball and put points on the board but our defense gave us a short field a couple of times. The other team played a 2-1-2 and when I began working the middle they pinched the 2 safeties inwards. After that we got a nice strike on a long flag play and then when I began running my halfback swingouts to their weaker side we moved the ball and scored at will. Missed a lot of passes in the first half though which also gives me more to practice.

<br />We won 25-7. It was good to get the first game done and see what this team looks like during a game. Our boys were clearly better athletes and more experienced so I wasn't surprised at the outcome. We gave up a late touchdown because I told our D coordinator to switch to man coverage for the practice. Up until that point we hadn't yielded a first down with our 1-1-3. We had an inexperienced player let his man slip by and the result was the td. I'm not sure our kid understands man defense. But that's something we can work on. My offense did enough to move the ball and put points on the board but our defense gave us a short field a couple of times. The other team played a 2-1-2 and when I began working the middle they pinched the 2 safeties inwards. After that we got a nice strike on a long flag play and then when I began running my halfback swingouts to their weaker side we moved the ball and scored at will. Missed a lot of passes in the first half though which also gives me more to practice.<br />
Orange,

Did you get a chance to run your QB switch play in the game? If so did it work? I remember you saying it only worked against man2man so maybe they didn't run anything that gave you that opportunity, except maybe on the goal line...

I don't think it's fair to your team to do that.
I hear you. Part of the challenge we're facing is playing in a 10-14 yr old division. We'd normally be in a 10-11 yr old division, apparently not enough kids signed up so they combined the ages. We'll be fine this season, it's going to take more effort than past seasons though.
I'm sure your team would benefit more from winning than everyone getting embarrased trying to run the ball. Lastly, kids enjoy winning and giving them a shot to win is part of your job as a coach. If my son played on a team that did this it would be short lived because it's sending the wrong message in my book.
We win, promise. To put it in perspective, we've had three #2 finishes and two #1 finishes in the past 5 seasons, I'm not too worried about the whole "winning" aspect. The cool part is we made it through all those seasons making sure all our kids touched the ball at least twice each game on average. We also tried to get every kid a score.
When you try to let everyone play QB or touch the ball, your sending the message that those are the only important positions.
I definitely have a few QBs I stick with for most of the season, but we do try and get everyone in at QB sometime during the season, even if it's only for 1 or 2 plays. With regards to the ball touch aspect, I have to respectfully disagree. If we were playing in a league with tryouts and it was crystal clear the better kids would get more play time, I'd switch my coaching style. However, the league we play in promotes several aspects and one of those is trying to get every kid two ball touches per game. I agree with this concept whole heartedly, for the simple reason that most parents don't sign their kids up in a rec league to never really touch the ball in games. Besides, it's easy to win in a rec league if you only use your best players most of the time.

We'll see how things go, I'll post our games as we go along this season.

Did you get a chance to run your QB switch play in the game? If so did it work? I remember you saying it only worked against man2man so maybe they didn't run anything that gave you that opportunity, except maybe on the goal line...
I ran it several times today, cool play and it worked against a zone. I have three varations of his play, good stuff.

Orange,

No. They ran a 2-1-2 and I didn't think it would work. They sat back in their zones fairly well and sent a good rusher. I noticed they switched to a man once or twice but it was not predictable. Plus we took an early lead and it never looked like the outcome was in doubt. All that added up to my not wanting or needed to use that trick play. My swing pass was the money play for this game.

Here is something funny that happened during the game. We have one kid who is fast and has very quick feet. He runs distance for an AAU track team. His football knowledge is limited and he cannot catch well but he does have speed. So he shows up right before the game and I hustle him in. I always run an end around my first play because a) I like it and B) it helps me see what the defense is playing. I call the end around to him and everything looks good, motion, handoff, he speeds towards the edge... then I notice it. He forgot to get his flags on. In our league that means he is immediately down. OK, next series I decide to give the kid another chance. I'm thinking heck he's fast, he'll be fine. I double check that he has his flags this time. Motion, handoff... bam his flags fall off the instant he gets the ball. OK, a few series later I call the same play, check his flags have him make sure they are on good. Motion, handoff, flags are still on!! He gained about 4 yards...

<br />We ended up in a 10-14 division this season which is definitely going to be a challenge. Lost our first game today 17-6. Some of the other teams kids were tall and incredibly quick. Very tempting to run hotshot against hotshot, but we held to our philosophy of ball touches, everyone had at least 2+.<br />
Rob,

That is going to be a tough jump for your kids. I've watched some of the 5th/6th grade games in our league and there is definitely a big jump in skills as well as game philosphy in those older kids.

I'm sure you will do fine as your coaching experience and knowledge will allow you to adjust (to the best of your kids ability).

Was there anything you saw that really surprised you or maybe that you didn't expect?

Hey guys well we didn't have our first regular season game yet we had a preseason game My 1st-3rd team won 30-0 the offense was on the field maybe twice the entire game because my defense kept getting interceptions I'd like to thank Orange for helping me out with my defense the 1-1-3 worked like a charmed i even added blitz schemes to it as well. I also coach two teams in the 4th-6th division and my 4th grade team had to play my 6th grade team and the lost 30-6 it was good for my 4th graders to have to play one of the top teams in the league it made them alot faster and it will help in the long run and it helped my 6th graders gain their confidence i think my shortest 6th grader is like 5' 3" and it also helps to have a two great QB's and two recievers that are 5 ft 8 and 5 ft 10

Was there anything you saw that really surprised you or maybe that you didn't expect?
Amazing speed and quickness. Our normal speedster probably would've scored in a 10-11 div, they chased him down yesterday. Also, their ability to react to a pass on defense was amazing. Our receivers were wide open several times, but the QB waited too long to throw and the DB would recover to break up the play. This is a great opportunity for our kids to grow as a team, they'll have to kick it up a few notches on execution.

Hey guys well we didn't have our first regular season game yet we had a preseason game My 1st-3rd team won 30-0 the offense was on the field maybe twice the entire game because my defense kept getting interceptions I'd like to thank Orange for helping me out with my defense the 1-1-3 worked like a charmed i even added blitz schemes to it as well. I also coach two teams in the 4th-6th division and my 4th grade team had to play my 6th grade team and the lost 30-6 it was good for my 4th graders to have to play one of the top teams in the league it made them alot faster and it will help in the long run and it helped my 6th graders gain their confidence i think my shortest 6th grader is like 5' 3" and it also helps to have a two great QB's and two recievers that are 5 ft 8 and 5 ft 10

You're welcome! Our 1-1-3 was spectacular yesterday also. It wasn't until yours truly told the D coordinator to switch to man to get some practice running it, that the other team got their first first down and then scored their only points.

Wow, I know kids start to hit growth spurts around that age. Our kids are 5th and 4th graders and I think the tallest one is maybe a little under 5'0". Actually I have a short team. There are the two that are close to 5'0" I have a few like my son in the 4'8" - 4'9" range and the rest under that as little as 4'5"ish. But those little guys tend to be very quick. The issue we'd have is facing some tall kids where they could just throw jump balls up to them.

I don't think it's fair to your team to do that. I'm sure your team would benefit more from winning than everyone getting embarrased trying to run the ball. To me, that is putting kids in a position to fail. I would stick with you best two backs and teach all the kids that no position is more important than the other. When you try to let everyone play QB or touch the ball, your sending the message that those are the only important positions. I know that isn't your intent but that's what happens. Lastly, kids enjoy winning and giving them a shot to win is part of your job as a coach. If my son played on a team that did this it would be short lived because it's sending the wrong message in my book.

I have to respectfully disagree with this---to a point. I disagree with the approach that you should disallow the non-skilled players an opportunity to make an impact in the game. I'm confident most children under the age of 12 cares more about their contribution to the game as opposed with the final outcome. I certainly know this is true for players 9 and under. I base this on my 10+ seasons coaching youth sports. This is not to dismiss the importance of winning. Teams should indeed endeavor to defeat their opponents. However, I don't feel the only focus of a youth sports coach (12 and under) is to win. Instead it is to foster a true team environment and provide the children with a healthy experience when it comes to athletics.

Feeding it only to your best two players is the EASY way to coach, in my opinion. Keeping all the players involved and giving them each an opportunity to directly affect the outcome promotes a team environment, and I personally think children at this age need to embrace the team concept before they concern themselves with winning. I wholeheartedly believe in giving all players the opportunity to touch the ball and affect the game. I've faced many coaches that did not agree with this---but as Rob, I stuck with my philosophy. Last season we earned our first championship---and I promise you it was MUCH sweeter knowing we did it with all players getting ball touches as opposed with the easy way---something I could have easily accomplished previous years. Based on the sheer number of parents requesting their child to play on my team (I actually have to decline some requests due to roster limits), I'm safe in saying that most parents agree and care more about the opportunity their child has as opposed with the number of wins his team has.

These are the traits that I feel youth coaches should focus on, as very soon the kids get older and play on select teams where they must try out to gain a roster spot. That is when those lesser-skilled players should be weaned out, but certainly not at this age. I've learned that there are many players out there that will excel when no one thought they could---given the opportunity. This opportunity is provided in youth sports. I've always told the parents of my players that I coach them for their future teams. This means that regardless of whether they continue to engage in athletics once they reach middle/high school---they were ALL given the opportunity to see what they can do.

As mentioned, we go in to each game as a team doing everything we can to beat our opponents. But we do it just as that---a team. No one or two players carry the load.

I really don't mean to come across harsh here, so forgive me if I have. However, based on your post, you lead me to believe you advocate only giving the ball to your top one or two players in order to win, and I have no problem telling you I disagree with that. If I've misread your comments, then please forgive me.

Thanks

It's funny as I've struggled with this concept lately. I've always been of the philosophy that all the kids should get equal playing time, equal opportunities, etc. I've never even considered having a team that features certain players let alone restricts playing time. My team is 9-10 year olds. Interesting enough little league seems to be the sport that begins to universally condone playing your best players, sitting the lesser players etc at the youngest age. I know I've run into flag teams that do the same thing but they are more of the exception then the rule. I've gotten some indirect suggestions that I consider doing the same or perhaps backhanded compliments like, "I like your philosophy coach, but we could win more by playing certain kids in the crucial situations."

As I embarked on this new season I began to rethink my philosophy and I've come to the following conclusions: There are no hall of fames for 10 year old coaches or teams. Winning a title at 10 is not as important as learning, experiencing and creating a love for the game. These kids will be in situations all too soon where they will possibly be sitting on the bench or not making the team at all. I measure myself not by how many games we win but by how many kids come away from the season with a truly good feeling. I understand winning is important and I do things to position our team to win without compromising some of my basic principles. It's not easy some times but our team wins a lot more than we lose.

I do give everyone equal playing time. I have 2 main quarterbacks but a couple of others who want to play the position that I try to work in (doesn't always happen). I have kids who I'll go to at certain key junctures in the game but in the end I want everyone to have the ball, run/pass/ something. I do not measure touches but I keep a mental note of it. I do have other key positions that I use select players for, center for instance is a key position and gets a lot of balls in my offense. I have 3 players trained to play center. Plus this is 5 on 5 so everyone is a potential receiver and runner.

You've got it, Orange. It's something that every coach at this level deals with. Trust me, there have been Championships I know we could have won---had I gone for wins. In these cases, both the parents, and more importantly, my players knew it.

I've asked myself the question many times. "When should I start going for wins?" Because when I do, the gloves are off. There is no middle ground. I just don't think that type coaching is what parents expect at this age, and the players don't have the tangible benefits they would getting when they the ball in their hands. My players, parents, anyone that will listen knows---win or lose, we do it as a team.

Orange,

I can't say it enough you are doing the right thing. In the bigger perspective winning a certain game is not what they are going to remember. They will remember that you taught them to love the game of football.

I can say from personal perspective that I have regretted getting caught up in winning over doing what is best in regards to certain kids everytime. While I may have been disappointed and second guessed myself during the day to day of a season or after a tough loss, I have never looked back at the end of the season and regretted giving everyone as many opportunities as possible.

There are no hall of fames for 10 year old coaches or teams.
What!?!? No hall of fame for coaches in the 10 yr old divisions?!? Great, now you tell me.

There are no hall of fames for 10 year old coaches or teams.
What!?!? No hall of fame for coaches in the 10 yr old divisions?!? Great, now you tell me.
Ha!! I know a couple of coaches in our league who are sure they are getting in. They'll be dissapointed to hear this...LOL

Agree on the coach issue. We spent yesterday's practice working with 4 potential QB's. They all have limitations, but I think we can shuffle in complete sets of backs (QB and 2 RB's) to run a set bunch of plays. In our preview games, most teams used 2 QB's and I saw one team (did not play them) use 1 QB and ran him most plays. I bet the 5 kids on the line were REALLY bored by the end of the day. I always try to identify each players strength (speed , throwing, catching, blocking etc.) and play to them. For example, my slowest player is a natural blocker. Even in the open field he finds somebody and really gets into 'em (with no remorse either). However, he can also really throw the ball far and is left handed. My deal with him is a great first half of blocking earns him a series as a QB or RB with plays designed especially for him (a RB sweep and a pass going to the left where most coaches will not expect a pass). Don't tell him that we would still run those plays for him in the 2H regardless, but I put him in a position to be successful in multiple positions. I doubt his sweep will gain a yard (unless my pulling center does a number on the end - which he might because my son also digs the blocking!), but we will run it anyway. I think the player has real football talent as a lineman (the tackle league he will play in next year WILL NOT let someone his size advance the ball), but he deserves the chance to run with the ball this year.

As an aside, I was always the kid who was too big to run the ball in the leagues I played in as a kid. Flag football will be the last chance some of these kids get to be a ball carrier. Plus, as was alluded to earlier, we have no idea how these kids' bodies will change over the next few years. Get them to love the game now and you will have a player/fan/contributor for life. That is more important than the championship.

Orange i'm glad to hear you say that.I wish all youth coaches stressed that.Its about touches.I did the best I could with 12 kids to make sure every kids got a chance to get the ball.with 11-13 year olds its a bit harder because there skills are starting to get polished but we made sure we gave every kid a chance last season.It was the funnest season I ever had.All the parents & players loved it and praised it.We did blow out teams but at the same time it wasn't because we tried to.It was because every kids was getting touches.Defenses couldnt chime in 1 person.It made us a better team doing that and I'm glad I did.It was a great experience as a coach.

Spreading the ball around also has its strategic benefits. I'm sure we agree that we're fortunate when all players make it to a game. Last season going into a game the stars aligned perfectly to where I was without my top six players (including my son). However, even thought the remaining eight I had were lesser-skilled they had the experience and confidence---we didn't skip a beat in that game.

Spreading the ball around also has its strategic benefits. I'm sure we agree that we're fortunate when all players make it to a game. Last season going into a game the stars aligned perfectly to where I was without my top six players (including my son). However, even thought the remaining eight I had were lesser-skilled they had the experience and confidence---we didn't skip a beat in that game.

Agreed - not only do you have a bunch of kids who are ready to step up to the challenge when you need them, but if you spread around the ball to different players you are a much harder team to defend.

Hey guys... been away most of the summer, but it is that time again. We started our fall season last weekend and this year we moved up to the 10-11 year old division. We have played 2 games so far (played last night) and we are fortunate to have opened 2-0 on the season. I have 6 kids returning to the team, which is a team of 10. I am blessed to have some wonderful parents and kids this season and I am thinking this could be one of our funnest seasons yet!

One thing I am extremely happy about through two games is the fact that my offense is spreading the ball around. We are tracking ball touches and stats this year and when I look at the sheet, there is a complete balance between touches and catches. It seems as I enter into this older age group, they are getting more polished and even more competitive to want to do well. As a result, I have a pretty solid group who all could catch, so after 2 games and the ball being spread like it has, defenses are not able to key in on one or two players. Our pass attack is great, my QB has really matured. We have only run the ball 9 times in two games!! That is a change for my teams too, believe me.

I look forward to hearing about all your seasons and how they are going guys... thanks for hearing me out!

So we start practice tuesday...i'm looking foward to it.i changed it up this year offensively.unless i have big guns we will be dinkin & dunkin our way downfield.we have 5 gadget/trick plays.10 crossing plays & 8 regular plays...i have my QB returning back who has a great short arm but we will see what the rest of the kids have.hopefully this season will be another great one.