Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach Rob

Fall Season 2009

Well we lost in the first round of the playoffs 28-12. My QB again had a very bad day in the first half, and the defense played terrible in the first half, so we were down 21-0 at half. I stuck with my 1st QB too long hoping he would pull it together, but he never did. I switched QB's in the second half and we played much better defense too. We came back from 28-0 to make it a respectable 28-12 (should have been 28-14 but I had a kid drop the 2 point conversion in the endzone (after he had caught the ball).Looking forward to our tournament this weekend. A chance to play some high quality opponents and see what they do differently.

We ended up in a 10-14 division this season which is definitely going to be a challenge. Lost our first game today 17-6. Some of the other teams kids were tall and incredibly quick.
Had a great season of football. Ended up winning in the playoffs and faced a really quick team in the finals with an amazing QB. They also had a few crazy fast kids with some cool flea flicker plays. We marched down the field and scored first, they countered and went ahead with a TD + PAT. After going back and forth, we finally busted loose with some intercepts for scores. We were up 44-22 and they scored one more time with only a few seconds left. Final score 44-29. Snagged another div championship.

Can't say enough about my kids, coaches, and parents. It makes coaching very enjoyable. Had one of my older sons video taping the playoffs, should be able to throw up some highlights on that in a few days. Had some awesome plays.

Thanks to everyone who participates on the boards, I always learn something that I can use during the season. A big thanks to Orange for letting me "bend his ear" more than once during this season.

On to basketball - 7 of my football kids play on our 5th/6th grade team. We're already 3 games into a 16 game season. Tough competition, but it's good for my kids.

CRob

We won our first round playoff game. We played the same team as last week who we had beaten 20-13. This time around we figured out their offense and shut them out. We won 26-0.

Our second round game is next week against the #1 team in our league who hasn't lost a game in at least 2 years, possibly 3. It will be very challenging for us I'm sure but we're going to give them our best. If we can win, we'd play in the title game later that afternoon.

We lost to the mighty Colts. To say that they are a good team is an understatement. Typically I have found that most flag teams field 8-10 kids and have 1-3 kids that really stand out speed and skill-wise. The Colts only have 7 kids but 5 of them could be all-stars and the other 2 are pretty good too. That's a very high skilled ratio. Not only that they are very well coached.

We won the toss, took the ball and drove down and scored. I was quite happy at that point, we had a long consistent drive, not one of those long lucky plays. They got the ball and drove it right back to tie 6-6. Our next drive we went the length of the field but came up 10 yards short. They drove again and scored 13-6. I still felt like this was a good ballgame and we drove the length of the field once more and came up short, dropping two passes in the endzone. With 1 minute left in the half the Colts went the length of the field and with 4th and goal and 5 seconds left they scored to make it 20-6. Things were looking better when we stopped them on the first drive in the second half. We had a couple of plays that gave us a fist down at midfield. At that point we threw an interception and we ran out of gas. They scored twice more and our offense didn't move the ball much. We lost 33-6.

It was a great season, we ended 7-2 having only lost to the two teams in the championship game. I feel like we could have beaten the other team in the championship if given the chance again. The Colts were destroying them 28-6 at the half; that's all I watched but the Raiders barely moved the ball at all, only scoring on one long play with missed flags. But the Colts are just too tough for us right now, there was no shame in losing to them I told my boys, they are just a super team.

Our first game. We played a club soccer (playing flag) team who was the fastest I have ever seen. We got beat 55 to 14. All but 2 of my players have played before and I had to explain the LOS to all them..urrrrr. The kids did get better throughout the game. They learned to stay in their zones and how to set picks against man defense. The last 2 series we got a stop and scored. Wish I could of had the posts ya'll usually have.

We finished up our season today.We won 27-0 and only allowed 2 first downs.We played our all around best game all season long today.We finished up 4-4 on the season.A lot of young inexperienced kids but we learned about ourself and had a good season.I'm proud of them.Another solid season.

My team had one last game, a scrimmage against another team that plays in a different league. It was a Friday afternoon thing and we played with their rules, 6 on 6 but everything else was the same. We began losing 20-13 but made a comeback. We did not keep official time just kept switching possessions. We ended playing for an hour and a half and we won 42-30. The other team was good but once we adjusted to playing with 6 we got it together. Fun way to spend the afternoon.

We played in a tournament 2 weekends ago. There were 25 3rd/4th grade teams playing that were bracketed into groups of 5 teams each. Each team played 4 teams in the morning with the top 2 teams from each bracket going on to play playoffs in the afternoon.

There were alot of great teams playing from all around central Texas. We drew a pretty tough bracket and ended up playing a team we lost to in the regular season 34-13, and the eventual winner of the whole tournament. We lost to the eventual winners 26-0, and they were REALLY GOOD!! The things that stuck out to me about this team were: They played a 3-1-1 defense. The only team we've ever played that ran this type of defense and they played it superb. The 3 up front played excellent short zone and the safety was the best I've seen at this age. He could read the QB's eyes like a book, and had a natural ability to read which way the play was going. He picked us off 3 times. They blitzed often and their blitzer was in theield very quick, causing our QB to make bad decisions.

Overall it was a great learning experience getting to see so many good teams playing in the same place. This was our first tournament and definitely won't be our last.

We have been playing well this season. We have won all our games save for one game against new team that is in our league. They are a select team that came from another city, only have seven (VERY good) players on their team, etc. Their coach doesn't even go on the field with them (and this is an 8-9 year old league).

To put in perspective, we've shut out every other team we've played, but lost to this team 41-0! They have beaten every other team much worse. Regardless we are having a lot of fun.