Y-coach.com - Forum
tiger4life

6 0N 6 Flag Plays

Here are the plays we are using in are wristbands this year for 6 on 6 flag football. I did not draw these up but got them from this site and they where for 5 vs 5. I just modified them by adding one more player and route, they have been working great and we are 5-1 right now because of these plays. I think these where Coach Robs plays, just be creative on the play calling and it works great. We usually start out with some running and drag plays then hit one or two long pass plays.

Wristband week 2.2.pdf

Hey guys, I'm about to start a 6 on 6 season. thanks for the off. plays. what defensive strategies worked best for you??

Hey guys, I'm about to start a 6 on 6 season. thanks for the off. plays. what defensive strategies worked best for you??

Hey there. I will probably get blasted for saying this, but I personally think putting together a solid defensive strategy is easier than offense. I say this because there are really only a few ways to put together a stout defense.

Below are my tips. Take them for what they are worth, but we've posted something like 15 shut-outs in the past 20 games. ;-) Additionally, many coaches this past season told me it was the best defense they had ever faced. I do not take the credit, however, as I simply adopted--and built on--what my former DC had implemented seasons ago.

1. We run a 3-2-1. I put a NT right in the middle on the LOS. Typically, this my least skilled athlete. I put two Ends/CBs out very wide. These are typically my most disciplined players. I put two LBs back about 5-7 yards--midway between the NT and End. The LBs are typically my best athletes. Finally, I put a Safety back about 15 yards from LOS.

2. The #1 rule is that the players do not move until the ball has crossed the LOS. This cannot be stressed enough. This is more than just "staying home", but instead I coach them to literally stand ready in the spot they are until the ball crosses. Just let the play unfold. Once the ball crosses the line then swarm. Cover the field, not the offense. It sounds simple, but watch how many defenses do not do this.

3. Our #2 rule is "keep them in the box." By that, a ball-carrier is NEVER allowed to get around the Ends to the sideline. I split the Ends out very wide to assist with this. Most times I will put them out a few feet from the sideline. If you think about it, most ball-carriers head toward the sideline when they have the ball, and the majority of TDs are scored by ball-carriers streaking down the sideline. We already have someone there waiting for him. Worst case scenario is that he turns upfield you will always have a LB there go get him. This can be very difficult for kids to learn. It also looks very unorthodox because you have two wide gaps at the LOS, but I'll give up 2-4 yards up the middle all game long.

4. #3 rule is no one, NO ONE is allowed past the Safety. I have found this to be the hardest thing to coach. Kids obviously want to run up to the ball when it crosses the LOS, or run forward to cover a player in the seam, etc. I keep the rule simple. I only ask one thing from the Safety, and that is no one gets behind him---ever. At the beginning of this season, my Safety (who has played with me five seasons now) did not like this. He told me, "I just want to be able to get flags." I asked him if he would rather have flags or INTs, and of course he said INTs. He led our team with six INTs this season, AND made several TD-saving flags.

PRACTICE: We don't do a lot of flag-pulling drills--but this is not to dismiss it. I simply have had the same players for many seasons now, so I already know they know how to pull flags well. We will spend our first few practices doing it just to get the feel for it, but usually after the fourth practice we stop. What I do coach in practice, is playing in position. I'll line the defense up, get five guys for offense, and I'm the QB. Most times I'll send three receivers out (one deep, one in the seam, and one underneath), keeping two players back for dump off passes or hand-offs. It's very fast pace, but it allows me to see which players are moving out of position. Better yet, when they all stay in position, it's a beautiful thing to watch as I cannot find an open player to get the ball tto. ;-)

Hope this helps some.... I could go on and on (as you've probably figured out), but this is the foundation of our defense.

Thanks for the playbook, it really helps a lot. This is my first year with 6X6, 9-10 yr olds. A question re: the wristbands that may sound ignorant. Your attachment has a lot of plays. How many of those do you fit on your boys' wristbands; do you rotate them? thanks.