Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Eric

New Here, Need Offensive Help Please!

Hi Everyone,

I am coaching in a new 7 on 7 flag football league. Six teams in the league and we're the only one without a win (0-4). We have not been blown out -- we've been competitive in every game mainly because our defense has kept us alive. The problem is, we have only scored three offensive TDs in the four games we've played. Our kids are 8 years old, and we have some athletic players, especially our QB but the issue is that we often get sacked or don't have ANY time to run a successful play because the league rules allow the defense to rush and blitz as many kids as they want (no limit) without waiting or counting after the ball is snapped. Plus the D-Line and/or any rushers can line up right on the LOS (they don't have to start 7 yards back like in some leagues. Our kids are having fun, but I (and they) are getting frustrated and would like to enjoy the feeling of winning just one game. We may have an opportunity to win this weekend (Sunday) because our opponent has only won once. I am so sorry for the long post, but everyone seems so nice and accommodating here I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for fast-developing plays we might be able to run before the rush gets to our qb. (The one play that has worked for us is a shotgun formation, wide receiver screen as our qb has a good arm and the WR is fast. As as last resort we can also always just run straight qb sweeps but I thought I'd throw this out for discussion.) Thanks so much in advance.

I have two suggestions for a hard blitz:

1. Center Sneak. A classic but only works once/twice a game. It will still cause some hesitation by the LBs, especially if the center fakes it a couple times after running the play.

2. Shuffle pass and/or utilize the center to catch a pass at the spot where the blitz originated.

Eric,

I think you've got the right idea with the screens and shotgun formation. A few quick bubble screens should slow down the rush quite a bit, and if it doesn't, run em all day until they stop it.