Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach3

Doing More With Less

This past week saw an incredible performance out of my 8th Grade boys basketball team. Keep in mind now we only have 5 players so expectations aren't as high as say 7-8 players. Before half we had a player foul out therefore having to play with only 4 players for the 2nd half. We also had another player with 4 fouls going into the half but somehow did NOT foul out. Game over right? Not so fast. We actually had the game tied @ 21-21 going into the 4th quarter. We did run out of gas finally but the effort was the best under these circumstances I'd ever been a part of. There was no quit in these kids and as a result I think everyone learned what I preach,DONT GIVE UP. Good things happen when you don't give up no matter what the score. If you were wondering we lost 35-28. As a team we did grab 15 Defensive rebounds and 9 offensive so we do have more work to do. Didn't help only going 2-9 from the free throw line. My 1 guard did turn it over 11 times but being 1 of the smallest guys he also grabbed 6 rebounds. There are good and bad in all games. I want my players to build on this effort as the stakes have been raised as they know NOW what they can do to overcome. We didn't win a game @ all last year in my 1st year so looking to gain some ground and bring this program back up and keeping it there. It's simply not a case of winning at all costs but a learning curve o not making the same mistakes time and time again. My players don't mind getting to the 4th quarter as I'm usually hoarse is the voice by then and they tease me,Coach what was that. What a great group of kids I have!! Stay tuned. Would like to hear your stories of your games as well to be able to view and comment on. Bobcats Coach

This past week saw an incredible performance out of my 8th Grade boys basketball team. Keep in mind now we only have 5 players so expectations aren't as high as say 7-8 players. Before half we had a player foul out therefore having to play with only 4 players for the 2nd half. We also had another player with 4 fouls going into the half but somehow did NOT foul out. Game over right? Not so fast. We actually had the game tied @ 21-21 going into the 4th quarter. We did run out of gas finally but the effort was the best under these circumstances I'd ever been a part of. There was no quit in these kids and as a result I think everyone learned what I preach,DONT GIVE UP. Good things happen when you don't give up no matter what the score. If you were wondering we lost 35-28. As a team we did grab 15 Defensive rebounds and 9 offensive so we do have more work to do. Didn't help only going 2-9 from the free throw line. My 1 guard did turn it over 11 times but being 1 of the smallest guys he also grabbed 6 rebounds. There are good and bad in all games. I want my players to build on this effort as the stakes have been raised as they know NOW what they can do to overcome. We didn't win a game @ all last year in my 1st year so looking to gain some ground and bring this program back up and keeping it there. It's simply not a case of winning at all costs but a learning curve o not making the same mistakes time and time again. My players don't mind getting to the 4th quarter as I'm usually hoarse is the voice by then and they tease me,Coach what was that. What a great group of kids I have!! Stay tuned. Would like to hear your stories of your games as well to be able to view and comment on. Bobcats Coach

Last January my 8th grade girls (i only had 6 on the team)played a game with 4.I had 1 girl gone for a soccer camp,and my tallest girl had an ankle sprain.The refs told me we could play the game if I put the girl with the sprain on the court for the tip-off,then call a time out and remove her,which I did.before the game i told my 4 girls(3 8th graders and 1 7th grader)to just go out and have fun,,and who knows,maybe someday 10 years from now you will be talking about how you won a game with only 4 players.I put them in a diamond zone defense under the basket and had them guard their zone.I gave them 1 thing to work on...to have less personal fouls than the quarter we were playing in.Well,guess what,,even with the other team pressing most of the 4th quarter we still won by 4 points..it was close at the end but we pulled it out.You would have thought we won the championship that day,thats how fired up the girls were.It has to be one of my favorite sports games to be involved in in the 15 plus years I have been coaching youth sports.During the season ending tournament we had one of the same refs from that day and I overheard him telling the other ref that day the story of how we won with only 4 girls,,the diamond defens,,,etc.etc.He was pretty animate explaing it to him.He laughed and asked me if I only planned on playing 4 at a time during the tournament.Have a great season and make sure the kids are having fun at whatever level you are coaching,that way they will want to go on at higher levels.

Last January my 8th grade girls (i only had 6 on the team)played a game with 4.I had 1 girl gone for a soccer camp,and my tallest girl had an ankle sprain.The refs told me we could play the game if I put the girl with the sprain on the court for the tip-off,then call a time out and remove her,which I did.before the game i told my 4 girls(3 8th graders and 1 7th grader)to just go out and have fun,,and who knows,maybe someday 10 years from now you will be talking about how you won a game with only 4 players.I put them in a diamond zone defense under the basket and had them guard their zone.I gave them 1 thing to work on...to have less personal fouls than the quarter we were playing in.Well,guess what,,even with the other team pressing most of the 4th quarter we still won by 4 points..it was close at the end but we pulled it out.You would have thought we won the championship that day,thats how fired up the girls were.It has to be one of my favorite sports games to be involved in in the 15 plus years I have been coaching youth sports.During the season ending tournament we had one of the same refs from that day and I overheard him telling the other ref that day the story of how we won with only 4 girls,,the diamond defens,,,etc.etc.He was pretty animate explaing it to him.He laughed and asked me if I only planned on playing 4 at a time during the tournament.Have a great season and make sure the kids are having fun at whatever level you are coaching,that way they will want to go on at higher levels.

That is a GREAT story coach!! Ya know I was going to try to install the motion offense this year with my 8th Grade team but with only 5-6 players not only have I failed at this as I don't know how to install it but my kids just don't move @ all. We make countless turnovers doing the same thing every time and I don't knowhow to break this vicious cycle. I already knew I didn't have good guard play going into this year but it's frustrating. We have absolutely no depth so was trying to keep it simple. We don't attack and are more passive and with the size Ive got I just don't get it. I'm trying to be proactive instead of reactive but am always searching for answers. Any advice would be gladly appreciated. Thanks Coach!!