Y-coach.com - Forum
lew7hokiefan

What Info Or Game Prep Do You Give To The Parents?

Do you guys give a playbook or a rule book to the parents? Or any kind of info that you ask from the parents? Let me know, thanks.

I give a hand out to the parents on the first night of practice. The handout includes information on everything from type of defense being run, offensive philosophy, how playing time is distributed, and my expectations of both the players and parents. At the end of the first practice I go over the hand out with the players / parents and let them know if they ever have concerns or questions they can reach out to me, and I give them phone and email contact info. This has worked well every year and lets the parents know up front how things will be handled.

If I were coaching a new team I'd let the parents know:

-my overall coaching style and philosophy

-info about practices (length, attendence expectations, what I'd be teaching the kids)

-playing time/ball touches and how you will track that

-how you will be communicating with them (e.g. e-mail, text, phone)

The league we play in gives out info on the rules to parents. They also have a meeting specifically for parents. I probably wouldn't give the parents a playbook.

I've found that if you're crystal clear with your communications before the season starts, you'll minimize future hassles.

I do essentially the same as Coach Rob. For all sports that I coach, I give out a parents letter that describes my coaching philosphy, gives a brief description of my background, expectations, and some other pertinent information about the team and league. I also give out team specific rules and how I will apply discipline if needed. Other material provided is a team roster with contact info (sounds smple but you would be suprised how many coaches don't do this), practice schedule, game schedule, league rules, practice and game uniform requirements, and other misc items (e.g., name on equipment, bring a water bottle, no food, etc.). After I have jersey numbers, I will hand out a business card to parents with player names and numbers (and parent names if enough room). This last football season, I also provided an example play and explained how we would call plays and how the kids would play on offense and defense. I also provided a handout on how to give/take a correct handout, hold the ball when running, etc. in the event a parent would practice at home with the kids. During baseball season, I did something similar on proper fundementals for catching, pitching, fielding grounders, etc. Finally, I give out a couple quotes I found in books that emphasise that this is kids sports and parents should treat it as such. I absolutely agree with Coach Rob to be clear on expactations and communications with the parents. Some of my most frustating experiences as a parent have been when the coaches didn't communicate with me.

Husker Fan

I give out a playbook, a weekly line-up for each of our games, and a weekly newsletter as to how our team/players are progressing. I cannot emphasis enough the importance to give all players equal attention. This lets the parents of lesser-skilled players know that you are counting on their sons to be an equal part of the team, and lets the parents of skilled-athletes know you will not allow their sons to carry the team. This is how we roll at least.

Do you guys give a playbook or a rule book to the parents? Or any kind of info that you ask from the parents? Let me know, thanks.

The group that I coach has been together for a few years and the parents mostly know what's going on so I do not have any formal handouts or communication. There were a couple of new kids to the team and I took the time to call the parents or speak with them in person. I explained all the ins and outs of my philosophy, practices, playing time, etc. Before and during the season I email the parents about practice times, things to remember, game times and location, etc. I would typically send 1 email per week although it is probably more frequent at the beginning of the season. I do not give them (or the kids) playbooks.