Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rclee

Defense To Cover Deep Middle Passes

We play in the 7-8 5-man league. QB can't run. We play a base 2-3 defense with the middle guy in the back rushing every time. So far this has not been a problem as we have not faced any really good teams this season and have won handily. But in the future I can see there being a problem. The better teams have their fastest guy play running back so the qb pitches the ball immediately to him every play, and he will have the option to run or throw which he will be able to do easily. So the 2 guys up front have to stay home and can't drop back into coverage too much. If in that scenario a wideout does a post pattern across the middle and deep, how do we cover that? Should we switch up the defense? Right now I have the cb's watching th qb's eyes making sure they follow the receiver he's looking at.

I like the 2-3 because I feel you get really good coverage but since we send a rusher ever time, it's more like a 2-1-2.

Any suggestions?

We play in the 7-8 5-man league. QB can't run. We play a base 2-3 defense with the middle guy in the back rushing every time. So far this has not been a problem as we have not faced any really good teams this season and have won handily. But in the future I can see there being a problem. The better teams have their fastest guy play running back so the qb pitches the ball immediately to him every play, and he will have the option to run or throw which he will be able to do easily. So the 2 guys up front have to stay home and can't drop back into coverage too much. If in that scenario a wideout does a post pattern across the middle and deep, how do we cover that? Should we switch up the defense? Right now I have the cb's watching th qb's eyes making sure they follow the receiver he's looking at.

I like the 2-3 because I feel you get really good coverage but since we send a rusher ever time, it's more like a 2-1-2.

Any suggestions?

I used that D couple of years back in the same age group. What I would do is find there fastest man or 2 and put my fastest 2 guys on them. man on man and let everyone else play zone. If you don't think their best person is getting the ball next put 1 of your guys that were covering him and have him rush.

It worked really well and shut their best guy down.

You can always have your blitz come from one of the outside DBs. Have them come in at a contain approach. or - when the ball is handed off your corners can come accross in contain form. Trust your backside safety to cover deep middle until he reads reverse.