Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spearhead27

Coaching Style Conflict

I've been a club and high school coach on a competitive team. I have recently been asked to join a faith based volleyball program. Though I am a believer, I find it hard to incorporate my style, not an abusive coach but I do have high expectations for my players. I want to help my players find Christ through the game that I have been a part of for 10 years but at the same time I feel I'm doing the parents a disservice if I don't hold my players accountable and get on them when they are not putting an effort. Should I just lower my expectations for my players? I am truly conflicted perhaps some of you on this forum could help me with this transition

It would help to know what a "faith based volleyball program" means in terms of their mission statement or philosophy. Is this is a rec league where players who haven't played club or competitive sports get an opportunity to play? No tryouts? Different skill levels? If so, you'll probably have to lower the expectations.

Spearhead,

Holding players accountable for their effort is not a Christian/Non-Christian thing to do. God holds everyone accountable for our actions. The difference between a Club team and a faith based team is usually the emphasis put on winning. Club teams are usually winning/performance focused. Parents are paying (sometimes a lot) of money and want results. They want their kids trained to compete at a high level.

Faith based programs are usually more character focused. Now there is definitely overlapping between the two. But in the grand scheme of things, faith based programs do not have the emphasis on winning as much as on the competition and the lessons to be learned within the framework of the sport. Parents still want their kids to win, but the goal of having fun and character lessons are the primary goal. The goal of any sport is to win. But, especially with kids, this goal can be reached in different ways. I argue that if kids have fun and learn/practice sound fundamentals, are taught to give 100% of their effort 100% of the time, and are held accountable for their actions, they will be far better off in the race of life than kids who are taught that winning is the only thing.

As Coach Rob said, find out what the philosophy and mission statement are for the league. If you have expectations and goals based on effort and learning fundamentals you will be far better off than expectations about winning the championship. Pray about it and see if that is what God is calling you to do.