Y-coach.com - Forum
Johnp2

Play Calling Logic

As an attempt to start some conversation on here, I thought I would inquire as to your logic with respect to play calling.

1. Do you typically start the each game with the same play?

1a. If so, what is it and why?

1b. If not, what goes into your decision for your first play.

2. Do you script your first x plays?

2a. If so, what does x=?

3. Do you "save plays" for important downs (i.e. 3rd) or do you execute your strongest plays on earlier downs to make 3rd down more manageable?

4. If you need 10 yards, are you more apt to run or throw?

5. Do you set up plays?

5a. If so, give us an example.

6. Do you have a specific play you call for x-points?

7. In the flow of a game, what drives your decisions for calling plays? i.e. Are you intent on spreading it around, do you just pick one at random, or does it depend on the situation?

8. How many different (unique) plays do you typically call in a game?

9. Do you go into each game knowing which plays you are going to call (and stick with it), or do you bring your entire playbook and pick through it?

10. How aggressive are you in going for it on 4th down?

---------------------------------------------------

I'll begin with my responses. I'm curious to hear each of yours as well!

For the past two or three seasons, we've started each game with the same two plays.

We run an end-around to the wide-out first, and on the second play we fake it to him and execute a bootleg to the slot receiver running an out.

Yes

2a. If so, what does x=?

Typically 10.

3. Do you "save plays" for important downs (i.e. 3rd) or do you execute your strongest plays on earlier downs to make 3rd down more manageable?

I have specific plays intended for my lesser-skilled players. I am more apt to call these on first or second down, and go with my stronger plays on third down.

Throw.

5. Do you set up plays?

I would say we set up plays 50% of the time. I have no problem "throwing away" a play if I feel I can hit a home run on the subsequent play.

We like to throw a screen pass left twice in a row, and on the third play pump in that direction but run the Statue of Liberty going right.

The only constant I have for extra-point plays is giving it to lesser-skilled players to try and get them in the end zone.

7. In the flow of a game, what drives your decisions for calling plays? i.e. Are you intent on spreading it around, do you just pick one at random, or does it depend on the situation?

After my scripted plays, I'll go in almost a round-robin fashion giving it to different players. Each position has about five plays specific to the position, and I will keep the ball touches equal and call the most applicable play for the player whose "turn" it is out of those five plays.

About 20. In fact, only a few plays are called more than once in a game.

9. Do you go into each game knowing which plays you are going to call (and stick with it), or do you bring your entire playbook and pick through it?

I never bring our playbook to the game. Instead I write down the 20 plays we want to run. The players all know the play---so we just call its name. Every now and then I might call a play I did not bring with me, but this is pretty rare. Decisions on which plays to bring to the game are based on the line up for that game.

Actually not that aggressive. I alway try to make things easier for our defense and play for field position. I cannot remember the last time we went for it in our half of the field. If I am between mid field and the third first down marker, I will go for it only if we need < 10 yards. If I am past the third first down marker, I'll always go for it.

• Like 1

1) I start with a running play that will get me away from the end zone at the beginning of every series, never pass. Too risky for safety or interception.

4) If I need long yardage, I'll use play action.

5) I set up plays all the time. Example: bring someone in motion, handoff, next play fake it and pass. Run up the middle twice, fake it. Usually a run, then fake or vice versa. Watching defense to see how they react to first play.

7) Flow of game, I usually run plays and watch for exploits. It might take a few plays or even a series to find a team's weak spot, but that's usually what I'm going for every series. If the exploit worked for a nice gain, I might tell the QB to try it again, if it's not there go with option B.

8) I have two sets of 18 plays on one double sided paper, so 36 total plays. Probably use 10-12 of those in a game. I have one 12 original plays with two varations of each.

10) See #4.

No scripting **(see below), no saving plays, no specific play for x points, bring entire two pages of plays each game.

**Having said all the above, equal ball touches for the kids is a primary concern. It's easy to get wrapped up in "finding the exploit" or "gaining big yards" and lose site of developing players who need ball touches. I try and have plays taylored for our developing players to help them not only get ball touches, but hopefully be successful by gaining yards.

Yes, same play all season.

I call end around. I like it because it's good against a lot of defenses, can bust a long run. It also helps me to see if they are in man, how their corners are playing. It's a very revealing play. Plus I like a run on the first play to let the kids get into the flow of the game and not worry about turning it over.

No, I have in the past but not recently. I moved to a format where I'm calling my plays based on the defense not just running plays in general. I find it works better.

I'm mixing it up all during the game. And since I'm calling plays based on the defense my best play one game might be different for the next game. Also, our format is that you get 4 downs to make a first down or score and if you fail the other team begins on their own 5 yard line. There is no punting. But I will call more reliable shorter gaining plays on 1st and 2nd downs to get us closer.

I'd throw but it would most likely be a short pass designed to get YAC for the first down. I'd rather have a high percentage pass and have to run the next 7 yards then throw it for the entire 10 and have less of a chance of completion or worse (an int).

5. Do you set up plays?

All game long.

Faking the end around is a classic since we run the end around a lot. I'll watch the defense to see who vacates their responsibility quickly on the end around and then fake it and try to hit that open spot. Another example is hitting the wideout at the los one play and then trying a pump and go the next play.

We run into man a lot on xtra points. I like crossing patterns over the middle or a wash type play at the los where all the receivers go one way except one who cuts underneath.

I call plays specific to the type of defense that we're facing. I've worked out separate playbooks for man, 1-1-3 zone and 2-1-2 zones. After that I'll then modify within those plays depending on where I see a weak spot or something to exploit.

I estimate 12 on average.

I pick my plays based on the defense and what I can exploit. It becomes like a chess game.

In our league you don't punt you just use your 4 downs to score or make a first down. If you don't make it the other team takes over at their own 5. And since an interception results in the other team scoring or taking possession where they are stopped it's far better to turn the ball over on downs. So normally I'll call a regular play even with 4th and long. I'd rather not throw the ball up for grabs and risk the pick. I'm more likely to call a swing pass to my halfback and see if he can gain the 15 yards or so with his feet.

Thanks for your replies. That is interesting about four downs for a first or score. What is the length of your field? Is it 10 yards for a first down? Our field is 75x35. There are three first down markers every 20 yards. If you elect to "punt" the other team gets the ball on their own five yard line.

I do like having "true" 4th downs, as it has helped us more from a defensive stand-point than anything, last year especially. For some reason, we had a lot of teams "go for it" and the majority of the time they were stopped. The players/crowd all get really pumped when we stop someone on fourth down.

Our field is 30 yards wide, 70 yards long and is divided lengthwise into two zones of 25 yards each, which lie

between two end zones of 10 yards each. You can make a first down if you cross the midfield line. That's your only chance to make a first down. You start your possession on your own 5 yard line so it takes 20 yards to make a first down. Of course if you get an interception you could have less distance to a first down. If your possession starts at midfield or past midfield then you can only score (no first down available).

I think that's fairly consistent with I-9 and NFL flag rules.

2a. If so, what does x=?

5. Do you set up plays?

1.My plays change from game to game depending on who we are playing and what kind of defense they do.Im always looking for a big play to get started.

2.I never script my plays.I just cant do it.I've tried.Never works for me lol

3.I definitely save plays.Trick plays are for when we need yards or I just want to lighten them up a little or to get us going.I try and keep things consistant but not predictable for the defense.

4.I'm throwing if I need 10 yards.We hardly run the ball actually.We will play action to get them to think run though.

5.Read #4.We play action to setup plays.

6.Absolutely.I have a special set of short yardage/extra point plays.They are for 7 yards & less.

7.My play calling varies.I want kids to get touches but its also situational.If we have a big lead in the game I will make sure everyone gets some touches.

8.I have no idea lol.I dont keep count at all.Some games I will call some over & over and others I wont call that play once.

9.I make a bunch of plays that will work for the team & go week by week.

10.We are 3 downs only.However I play it like 1st/2nd/4th down.So we always look for some kind of different play to keep the defense off balance.

1a. Yes. We either start with an end around to get an idea whether it is a man or zone defense or a long pass play to test the safeties. What we run depends on how much we know about the team we are playing and/or how they line up.

Usually no. I prefer to try and call plays depending on what the defense shows, but sometimes I do.

No not really. I'll run anything at anytime, although I do have certain short yardage and extra point plays that I typically only use in those situations.

It depends. If I'm on my end of the field I may do either, depending on how good the team we are playing is and how effective we've been at either running or throwing. If the defense is good, I will usually not throw to avoid interceptions. On the opponents end of the field I will usually throw.

5. Do you set up plays?

5a. Yes. Alot of my plays have several different options out of the same basic play, so they can be used to set up a run or pass or variants of both.

Not really. I have a handful of short yardage plays that I use for short yardage TD's and single point conversions. For 2 point conversions I usually run a run/pass option play.

I am intent on spreading the ball around AND picking the play I think will be most successful in each situation. On 3rd downs (we only have 3 downs to make a first down and another 3 to make a TD) I try to get the ball in my playmakers hands to get the conversion.

Probably 10-12. If we are winning big I may open up the playbook and try new plays.

I have a basic set of plays that I always use, and a bunch of others that I think will work in certain situations. I always use the regular plays over and over, and sometimes try the others depending...

We always go for it on 3rd down as we only have 3 downs. If we don't make it the other team starts from their own 5 yard line so we have nothing to lose.

(I'm answering based on my 10-13 team.)

Yes and No. It varies depending on the opponent, as well as what I did the last time(s) I played them, but I do plan out the formation.

Yes and No. I do not script the exact plays, but again I do script the formation.

Tough call. I typically do save stronger plays for 2nd & 3rd down (or 4th), but I do try to be unpredictable.

Again, depends on the team, the defense, how we've done, etc. But typically I'll use short pass looking for a lateral or YAC. Hook & Ladder works well most of the time.

5. Do you set up plays?

Yes! A resounding yes on this one. I love to run fakes to the RB and pass opposite on an out pattern. After running the ball, and running that playfake, I'll fake to the RB, have the QB look opposite for 2-3 seconds to look off the defense, and then hit the RB out in the flats.

Usually hitting a player on a short out after a play fake, it leaves the defense moving right and left, which opens the middle for a QB run if needed.

I do spread the ball around, I'm proud of the fact that everyone has had the ball in their hands, whether running or receiving. Most of the team has had at least 1 touchdown. But what drives my decision is what is the best play for the the team at that time.

Again, depends on the game. Most games, I'm calling over a dozen, usually around 15. This past game, I called 7. Two of them run only once.

I bring my entire playbook, but I plan out which plays I will use. As for sticking with it, it depends on the scenario. This past weekend, we had a worked for a week on the plays to use. But their defense left the middle open time and again for a QB middle run, so I took what was available.

Usually, very aggressive. We do first downs in 8 yard zones, so if it's about that distance, I'll usually go for it. If it's too long, I'll punt - but so far this season, I've punted once in 7 games.

I know it’s not a new topic but just got into it, my approach is a bit different so I wanted to share.

1.Do you typically start the each game with the same play?

Not the same play but always start with running plays until I gain at least 15 yards, offense always starts on our own 5 yard line so I don’t like to risk pass close to my end zone.

Yes, I actually carry around a 20 plays script which I random for every game, I start using the script once we get out of my end zone (which I mentioned on answer #1), if script is working I’ll just go on with it until its stops giving me positive results, then I switch to what the defense is giving me. I can go by the scripts the hole game or just for the first two offensive drives, it depends on what the opponent is allowing me. If we are way ahead on our game I hand off the script to the Qb and let him do the play calling.

My script is based on what I called “the base plays” (pass and running plays), I keep away from this script all the special plays (attraction, delays and end arounds), so when I need the special yardage or to pump up the game I interrupt my script and start sending these special plays, in some case depending on the opponent I only call one or two of these plays in the game or in other cases I have to start using them eraly and throw them in the entire game, the longer the opponent finds out I got an ace under my sleeve, the better for me.

Depends on which side of the field we are, we have no punting so if we are at our own territory we run to avoid interceptions, beside passing is what the opponent is expecting, if we don’t make it it’s okay, our opponent has to start his drive on his 5 yard line, if it’s forth and goal then we go for it to the end zone by air.

5. Do you set up plays?

We set up the special plays only, for instance we have a play called “122 delay” that I run only in third down and in most cases on my second drive, so before execution I run a couple of pass plays end just before the play I run “122 deep pass”, the setup play has the intentions to make CB aware of deep passing playing capabilities and make them turn their backs, the pass play and the delayed play run from under center with a 5 backstep drop, Hb takes a dive/fly route on the pass play and on the delay play he just sands still in his positions like 4 secs while receivers are taking the defense deep, then Qb about 2 secs after backdrop just suddenly stretches his arms to the HB which has way open field in the middle, this play gave us around 9 tds from our own filed side and at the least it will give us a 20 yard mark, it only works once or twice a game. Last note, play dosen´t work if you fake on the runner in the previous pass plays, also Qb and runner have to read defense rush at play start, if so they have to break up the play.

Just 2 mesh passing plays.

All of the above, I sell strong running play at first, then I switch to a basic plays scripts, and if script is not giving me what I need I take what defense gives me.

I run between 15 to 20 different plays in a game.

My script + my special plays include my entire playbook for that category.

I always go for it on 4th down but aggressiveness of the play selection depends on field position.