Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rushbuster70

Spring 2010

4-6 yr old team won yesterday, I think we're 2-4? dunno. lol. Still blows me away they allow kids that young to play football even though it's only flag. Every practice/game I have kids getting hurt, not seriously, but taking some pretty good shots. I'm amazed they keep score and stats for this division. You'd think something like that wouldn't matter, but I've run into teams running their best players, arguing with the ref, and complaining about the smallest details. Last week the refs warned both teams before the game about "setting picks". I almost fell on the ground laughing. The only thing these kids are picking are their noses.

11-14 team lost yesterday, it's been a tough season for us, there's definitely more "competitive teams" in the mix. I've only been practicing the alloted one hour before the game each week and religiously tracking the ball touches every game. Our touches have been off the hook. Yesterday there were kids on the other team that maybe got one touch in the entire game.

I was talking with a ref yesterday who's been around a long time. He said the coaches that complain the most are usually the ones who are losing. Funny, I found myself in that situation a few times this season. Had to bite my tongue more than once.

This season has been a great reminder of what this whole rec sport thing is really about. I wonder how many kids/parents never return or give up on sports because they were sold one thing and experienced another?

This season has been a great reminder of what this whole rec sport thing is really about. I wonder how many kids/parents never return or give up on sports because they were sold one thing and experienced another?

I'm sure it happens all the time. There is a kid on my son's baseball team who wore an I-9 shirt to practice. I asked him about where and when he played because we probably ran into his team at some point. He's a coordinated kid, pretty fast, just from his baseball playing I can tell he'd be a solid flag football player. When I asked him he said he had a very bad experience and would not play again. Apparently the coach played certain kids a lot more than others and he was one of the ones that sat on the bench mostly.

That's why certain coaches get alot of request then others. Most coaches in my league focus on some players i coach alot sports at the ymca im only 22 years old and i cant believe how some of this coaches coach i focus on developing the entire team so that way the parents and kids get a great expeirence and they come back for more and that's how teams become good because they stick together for along time yes you want them to be competitive but you want to have fun and really teach them the game and if you loose a couple of games down the road don't worry because they will get better in the long run and will be one of those teams who dominate the field no matter who you have

You'd think something like that wouldn't matter, but I've run into teams running their best players, arguing with the ref, and complaining about the smallest details.

I was talking with a ref yesterday who's been around a long time. He said the coaches that complain the most are usually the ones who are losing. Funny, I found myself in that situation a few times this season. Had to bite my tongue more than once.

As always, I agree and respect your approach, Rob.

We had an interesting incident in our first game. We were beating our opponent fairly handily. In the fourth quarter, we had stopped our opponet on 4th down (note that I track ALL plays so this was a fact). As we broke the huddle and lined up to run an offensive play, I was shocked to see our opponents were lined up on offense as well. The opposing coach (who was really their assistant--and new) said, "What are you doing? It's our ball!" I asked our official which down it was---the officials did not know. Seeing as we were up and I don't "argue" on the field, I said, "Okay, no problem. Give us a second to line up on defense then." As our kids were positioning themselves for defense---some with their BACKS TURNED to the LOS, the coach said to his team, "Snap the ball! Snap the ball!" Incredible! We still stopped them (on that fifth down) but I gave that coach a very disappointed look and kept my composure.

After the game, I had a parent from my team, AND the opposing team come up to me and tell me they appreciated my "sportsmanship and integrity" for not retaliating on that---as it was very flagrant, and everyone saw what happened.

As jqmoney said, this is why some coaches get requests, and others don't. Our number one rule is that we play with class, and it truly is amazing how many coaches don't agree with that philosophy.

As our kids were positioning themselves for defense---some with their BACKS TURNED to the LOS, the coach said to his team, "Snap the ball! Snap the ball!" Incredible! After the game, I had a parent from my team, AND the opposing team come up to me and tell me they appreciated my "sportsmanship and integrity" for not retaliating on that---as it was very flagrant, and everyone saw what happened.
That's pretty amazing, like you said, some coaches get it, some don't. I always try to throw out some compliments for the players on the other team, especially if they make a good run or catch. I've had a few parents and coaches come up after games to tell me they appreciated the comments. I don't do it for that reason, but it's cool to know that people are aware of it.

We've been talking about sportsmanship and respect with the 4-6 yr olds. Last game I had two 4 yr olds as captains. We won the coin toss and the ref asked my kids if they wanted the ball or did they want the other team to have the ball first. They both looked at each other and pointed to the other team. The coach and ref looked shocked, they asked if my captains were absolutely sure. We told them our captains make the coin toss decisions.

Sorry I'm late in checkin in with everyone. Computer fried, lost alot of info, but I'm recovering a lot of it. Anyway, update ...

10-13 year old team ...

We went 2-4 in the season, cut short by weather issues. However, we won 2 of the last 3, and the one we lost, it was only by 6 points, and against the #1 rated team in our division. Playoff games later, and we've won, and we're now in the Championship. It took a drive the length of the field with 2:15 on a running clock with 1 timeout, but we did it! Of course, we did it too quickly, as we left 29 seconds on the clock. Thankfully we played our best defense at the end, stopping them on 4 downs to win the game. Then again, while we won 20-19, the top team won 25-0, so our work is cut out for us.

8-9 year old team ...

We only have 9 kids for an 8-on-8 team, but oddly enough even with school testing, vacations, sicknesses, and everything else, we've fielded 8 players every week. The frightening thing is how well these kids get the plays. I have now 9 audibles that I can call and they can run them to perfection. They're 7-0 this season, and it's not been close. These boys really do rally around each other. Every player has scored at least 1 touchdown and 1 extra point. Every quarterback (I have 4 kids who play the position) has thrown at least 2 touchdown passes.

Defensively, it's ugly. We average just under 7 points per game given up. This past weekend we played two games, and won by a combined score of 51-13. The first team we played has averaged 20 ppg this season, and averages only 3 ppg against us. It's a real pleasure to watch them play defense, they get how defense works - each man has his assignment, and he does it.

On a personal and perhaps overly prideful moment, my son is one of the QB's. I originally had him set as my #4 QB. Still, I try to play the QB's on a rotating schedule, half-game each, every other week, so I was determined to play him. So far this season he's played 2 halves and once played the entire game at QB. In those games he has inexplicably outplayed every other quarterback. For the season, he is 23 of 27 passing, for 6 touchdowns and about 200 yards. (He's also rushed for 2 td's, and caught 2, and run back an interception.) He's only thrown 3 balls deep all season (completing 2 of them), most of his passes are within 10 yds of the line. But he's got a knack for looking off defenders and hitting open receivers. I figured he'd play QB for a few minutes, but he's looked good out there, so I've had to play him.

Funny side note - when he played QB the first time, one of the parents started to complain. The mother of one of the QB's, she wanted her son to star in the role (he's my #4 now), she's no longer complaining - 2 of Noah's 6 td passes are to him.

I've been asked by a few people about my playbook, and yes, I am definitely willing to show it to anyone, I just don't know how to put it up anywhere. I'm willing to email it out, though.

Sorry again for being late with this post!

We went 2-4 in the season, and we're now in the Championship.
Very nice job!
8-9 year old team ...The frightening thing is how well these kids get the plays. I have now 9 audibles that I can call and they can run them to perfection. They're 7-0 this season, and it's not been close. These boys really do rally around each other.
When kids click like that it is awesome to see on the field. The neat part is you'll have them for several years to come.

Curious what your practice schedule is for these teams? How often and how long do you practice? I found myself getting burned out with two teams, maybe it was the 4-6 yr old factor on one of them.

We went 2-4 in the season, and we're now in the Championship.
Very nice job!
8-9 year old team ...The frightening thing is how well these kids get the plays. I have now 9 audibles that I can call and they can run them to perfection. They're 7-0 this season, and it's not been close. These boys really do rally around each other.
When kids click like that it is awesome to see on the field. The neat part is you'll have them for several years to come.

Curious what your practice schedule is for these teams? How often and how long do you practice? I found myself getting burned out with two teams, maybe it was the 4-6 yr old factor on one of them.

Yeah, I'm proud of how well the 10-13 team responded to their situation. The funny thing is that we went into the semi-final game expecting the opposition to run their usual "five in the box on the line two cb's playing man to man off the line one safety" defense. Instead they spread it out wide, and left the middle wide open. And all game long we ran the qb up the middle for big gains, about a quarter to a third of all plays! Now we're preparing 2 other plays for the last game, this team plays that 5 in the box defense as well, should be interesting!

With both teams, we practice twice per week, 1 hour each, back to back. The advantage to that is that there are alot of siblings, younger brother on the 8-9, older brother(s) on the 10-13. It helps the younger players to go against the bigger faster stronger players, and then they step in and help provide defenders for the 10-13 year old kids. It's wonderful! (And very tiring down here in the Florida sun!)

If I had a 4-6 year old team, it'd be hard, they're harder to organize! I call it herding cats!

As our kids were positioning themselves for defense---some with their BACKS TURNED to the LOS, the coach said to his team, "Snap the ball! Snap the ball!" Incredible! After the game, I had a parent from my team, AND the opposing team come up to me and tell me they appreciated my "sportsmanship and integrity" for not retaliating on that---as it was very flagrant, and everyone saw what happened.
That's pretty amazing, like you said, some coaches get it, some don't. I always try to throw out some compliments for the players on the other team, especially if they make a good run or catch. I've had a few parents and coaches come up after games to tell me they appreciated the comments. I don't do it for that reason, but it's cool to know that people are aware of it.

We've been talking about sportsmanship and respect with the 4-6 yr olds. Last game I had two 4 yr olds as captains. We won the coin toss and the ref asked my kids if they wanted the ball or did they want the other team to have the ball first. They both looked at each other and pointed to the other team. The coach and ref looked shocked, they asked if my captains were absolutely sure. We told them our captains make the coin toss decisions.

You're both right, some coaches just don't get it. Three situations this season to illustrate it further.

We were losing the game, about 4 minutes left, and they were kicking off. The ball bounced and my kid tipped it. In our league, if it's touched on a kickoff and not held, it's down where it hits. It hit about 18 inches from our goal line. Well, I was surprised that they put the ball out where my player hit it, up at the first line. I didn't know why, but I figured I just missed something. The coaches from the other team were arguing about the spot, and both of them and the officials discussed it (a bit heated), and I heard the official say it landed in the endzone. A coach pointed right at me. "You saw it - where'd the ball land?"

I shrugged and pointed at the spot where it landed, miserable as I felt to do it. The official (I've known him for years) raised his eyebrows, but he nodded, said thanks, and spotted it about where I pointed. The other coach thanked me - both then, and after the game. As I told him, for me it was the only think I could do. My players were frowning at me as I gathered them in the huddle, but I shook it off. "You win or lose with pride in your conduct," I said, and thankfully we went on to drive the ball down the field.

Second example - one of my players caught an out pattern and was cruising down the sidelines. He slipped through the defenders and just as he got into the endzone the ref blew the whistle, pointing to a spot a few yards shy, saying he stepped out of bounds. My player denied that, of course, but then when did a player admit to it, right? The opposing coach stepped in, though, and said "no, he never stepped out. I watched for it, hoping." We all got a chuckle for how he said it, but I was glad all of my team was right there.

Last example? Coach of the team we just beat, last week's playoff game. Pass was low in traffic. Just happened I was literally about 6 feet from it, he was closer. Ball skipped off the ground, but the refs were cut off, blew the whistle thinking it hit. The player and the coach were literally screaming at the refs that it was clean, never bounced. It was obvious, impossible to miss if you were that close, but he was screaming. The head official asked me and I shrugged. "Looked like it hit the ground." The other coach literally jumped off the ground, calling me a liar right there. I laughed and walked away, motioning to the official to give it to them there. Wasn't worth it to me to fight, especially on a first down completion for about 2 yards.

After the game, Drew (the official) thanked me. For me, this wasn't any big deal. And this isn't to blow my own horn, there are plenty of coaches who respond exactly the same way, and at the Y most of them are like I am. I think most of the people here on this cork are the same as well.

But you're right, some coaches just don't get it. Winning is the most important thing. For me, it never can be. Not when you're building the politicians, the bankers, the fathers and mothers and leaders of the future.

The Y preaches Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility. I for one and proud to support that ideal.

my 10-12 year olds are in the championship we had a bye week and wond our semi final game 51-6 we have a really tough game game we only beat this team by 4 points last time and i know they will be well prepared my 6-8 year olds start there playoff games i hope to get them to the champions cause it would be the first time that my two flag football teams and my girls basketball team all made it to the championship

Congratulations, jq! It's a wonderful feeling that they make their way to the finals, isn't it? I love to see at the end of the season how much my players have grown and learned through the season.

I'll be eager to hear how well your teams do this weekend! I've got a championship game (10-13) at noon and my 8-9 team plays at 2, trying for their perfect season.

(and after that, I start basketball!)

We won last week 40-0.It actually sounds a lot worse than it is.Everyone got tons of touches so it was a great game.The other team was a great team to play against.1 of the best sportsmanship teams i've ever played against.After meeting in the middle to shake hands after the game they ran off like they won the game.It was awesome to see.

Defensively we gave up 1 1st down and that was it.It was impressive.

We have our last game of the season this week.Its going to be interesting.This is going to be my last season of flag football until my son gets older and starts to play.We will be doing kickball in the fall :)

We won our last game 28-7...We went 7-1 this past season.It was an amazing season.Every player got multiple touches every game.Probably been the best season i've had with touches.It was another good season and i'm happy.Last season of flag for a while.So we will see.

We will be doing kickball in the fall :)

LOL! I like it, I like it.

Our 4-6 yr old team had a fun time for the final game in spite of the other team who decided to run their biggest/fastest kid a lot! I mean, A LOT, like 4 times in a row one series. Strange, as we weren't really playing for anything, plus it's 4-6 yr old football for Pete's sake. Our ball touches were awesome, all kids had at least 2-3 each and those were runs or receptions. Made them dance for their trophies and handed out mini-squirt guns.

Our 11-14 yr old season was probably the funkiest I've ever had. At least our ball touches were off the hook, we only count real handoffs and receptions, every kid had at least 2-3 per game this season, good stuff.

We had more teams with newer coaches out to win at all costs, it was a bummer to see kids getting 0 or 1 touch per game. The team we were supposed to play for our final game flaked. Found out the coach (long timer with our league) was fed up with everything (lack of ball touches, no support from refs or league director) and basically opted not to play the final game. We ended up scrimmaging, but I could tell the kids were having a hard time with it as teams were playing right next to us. Made them dance for their trophies, had to pick a parent as their partner and gave them bigger squirt guns. Let's just say not much stayed dry after that point. Guess we made the best of a funky season.

Received an amazing framed photo montage with various pictures of the kids. It was very well done by a mom who is a photog by trade. We should have a video coming out recapping the season, I think it will be good.

My 6-8 year old team lost the semi finals 26-14 it was a hard fought game and they were bummed but we got to go to Peter Piper Pizza and then they forgot all about it. my 9-12 year olds won the Championship 40-18 I've never seen my players run so fast and everyone was catching left and right it will be pritty interesting to see football players play basketball this summer

We will be doing kickball in the fall smile.gif

LOL! I like it, I like it.

Our 4-6 yr old team had a fun time for the final game in spite of the other team who decided to run their biggest/fastest kid a lot! I mean, A LOT, like 4 times in a row one series. Strange, as we weren't really playing for anything, plus it's 4-6 yr old football for Pete's sake. Our ball touches were awesome, all kids had at least 2-3 each and those were runs or receptions. Made them dance for their trophies and handed out mini-squirt guns.

Our 11-14 yr old season was probably the funkiest I've ever had. At least our ball touches were off the hook, we only count real handoffs and receptions, every kid had at least 2-3 per game this season, good stuff.

We had more teams with newer coaches out to win at all costs, it was a bummer to see kids getting 0 or 1 touch per game. The team we were supposed to play for our final game flaked. Found out the coach (long timer with our league) was fed up with everything (lack of ball touches, no support from refs or league director) and basically opted not to play the final game. We ended up scrimmaging, but I could tell the kids were having a hard time with it as teams were playing right next to us. Made them dance for their trophies, had to pick a parent as their partner and gave them bigger squirt guns. Let's just say not much stayed dry after that point. Guess we made the best of a funky season.

Received an amazing framed photo montage with various pictures of the kids. It was very well done by a mom who is a photog by trade. We should have a video coming out recapping the season, I think it will be good.

Good job Rob. You are the kind of coach I would want my kids to have. Too many coaches/parents these days with the win at all costs mentality.

Can't wait to see your video. I know you've been busy this season coaching 2 teams.

I agree it seems like it is mostly the newer coaches who are the "win at all costs" type coaches. I chaulk it up to newer coaches feeling the pressure to win. Quite often, even if they think they know football, they get a bit of an eye-opening experience their first few games. It's very rare for a new coach to be able to win consistently without constantly dishing it to his studs. This is because (as most of us know) it takes a season or two to really figure out how to win and keep all players equally involved---the mark of a great youth sports coach, in my opinion.

I'm proud that I've never gone tit-for-tat in this, and there have been a plethora of times I could have. This season, I probably do have the most-skilled players in the league (top to bottom)--and really this is a first for me. The cool thing is these are the **same** kids I've coached for years, and they have simply gotten bigger, faster, more-skilled, and of course have been well-coached. ;-)

I've got a few kids that can score almost anytime they touch the ball, and quite often after games if a coach says, "Wow, that #4 is an incredible player", I'll say, "You know, he only got the ball three times." This, because often it can APPEAR like these players get it more, simply because they are the ones people remember--especially if he scored on all three touches.

I've never said anything to a coach about dishing it to his best player, but there have been a few instances where it was ridiculously blantant, and while on defense I've instructed my players before the snap (for everyone, parents included to hear), "Watch #12, he gets the ball on nearly every play." Some coaches get the hint and snap back into reality by doing the right thing, and some simply don't care...

*****CORNY STORY ALERT********

A few seasons ago, we were in a tie game. We had the ball at about the opponents 10 yard line. We had one play left (yes, there was tension in the air). In the huddle I started thinking about which play to run. I looked at my kids, and realized one of my players had only gotten the ball once--and he was my least-skilled players. I was at a cross-roads. I had a few players that had a good chance to score, but I'll never forget thinking to myself, 'I have to do the right thing. What is more important to me? Winning, or doing the right thing?'. I called that player's play--and frankly I knew he had VERY little chance to score. He got the ball, and he made a pretty good run but had his flag pulled without scoring. Game over. I wondered if the parents thought I had lost my mind. After the game, the kid's father came up to me (he knew his son was not that good) and he said, "I want to thank you for giving my son that opportunity." I'll never forget that as long as I live. To a man, that meant MUCH more to me than the win.