Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Texas_D_Coach

Texas_D's Spring Season Update

I thought I'd start a new thread to post updates on our spring season this year.

We had our first game of the spring season today. We won 26-0, and the kids played really well, especially on defense.

The game started out a little rough as we missed some great opportunities for some long catches. Really just showed the rust from only having a couple of practices with the whole team present before todays's game (we had 4 practices in all but due to spring break alot of kids missed 1 or 2 practices).

We were tied 0-0 at half, before we finally started to click on offense, and then we scored 26 straight points in the second half to seal the victory.

I was especially proud of one of my lesser talented kids who picked off a pass for a long gain and ran a 60 yard touchdown today.

Their defense was playing man coverage most of the game, and I was able to use crossing routes and misdirection very effectively in the second half.

The center end around and center end around reverse both scored today.

It is looking like we should have a really good season. I'll post video of the game when I get finished editing it.

Great job! My favorite thing is to see the lesser-skilled athletes come through and make a big play (something they will remember the rest of their lives) regardless of if it is my team or our opponent.

What age group do you coach again?

Finally, could you explain the Center End-Around? I assume the QB drops back and the Center gets it, but there seems to more to it than that.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Cool Update we had two games this weekend in the 4th thru 6th grade level and thanks to Texas D' playbook we won our first game 33-6 and won our second game 59-6 my team has hardly played with each other so it was exciting looking forward to the rest of the season

• Like 1

Great job! My favorite thing is to see the lesser-skilled athletes come through and make a big play (something they will remember the rest of their lives) regardless of if it is my team or our opponent.

What age group do you coach again?

Finally, could you explain the Center End-Around? I assume the QB drops back and the Center gets it, but there seems to more to it than that.

Thanks!

I coach 3rd/4th grade, so 9-11 year olds.

The center end around is a play that Orange broght to the forums last year,and I have been using it with great success since we started using it last fall. You can run it out of different formations, twins or trips. I prefer the trips version. So you line up trips right, QB is under center and snaps the ball, the center turns to his right and the QB gives him the ball immediately. The center then runs an end around to the right (where the trips were lined up). I run a fake reverse to the inside WR from the trips side first (center keeps the ball), and on the following play I run the real reverse. If you have a center who can throw, then a throwing option is available too. You can see diagrams of the 2 plays in my playbook at the link below. They are called "Center of the Action", and "Tiger's Blood Reverse"

Texas D's Spring 2010 Flag Football Playbook

Cool Update we had two games this weekend in the 4th thru 6th grade level and thanks to Texas D' playbook we won our first game 33-6 and won our second game 59-6 my team has hardly played with each other so it was exciting looking forward to the rest of the season

Thanks JQ. Sounds like the plays are working really well for you.

Thanks!

Here's how we run the center end around. It's a quick handoff. The center snaps the ball and then immediately pivots towards the sideline he's heading. The QB takes the snap and does not drop back. He immediately hands the ball to the center. The center then runs slightly behind the los and towards the sideline, eventually cutting upfield.

The traditional center handoff has the center going up the middle. We run the center as an end around because it does a couple of things. The defenders on the outside aren't usually looking for this play. If the center is quick he can beat the middle defenders to the outside. Also, we run options off it. One thing we do is bring a wideout back around for a potential reverse. We mostly fake the reverse and just the threat of it tends to slow the pursuing defenders down a step, giving the center space to cut upfield and beat them. Also,since the center takes the handoff and runs back behind the los he can throw the ball. If those outside defenders come in to stop him he pulls back and hits a wide open receiver on the outside.

Things happen very quickly on the center end around and you need a center who has a quick first step, can sprint, make a quick decision and throw. My brother coaches in a Jacksonville I-9 league and they added a rule which says the center cannot pass. It seems like the center end around was becoming the favorite play for a lot of teams and very hard to defend when he could pass. Of course when he told me that was when I wanted to install it in my offense.

• Like 1

Here's how we run the center end around....The QB takes the snap and does not drop back. He immediately hands the ball to the center.

Right there will disallow it for me. I had to lobby a LONG time just to allow the Center to take hand-offs about three seasons ago. We came to an agreement that they can do so as long as it is either behind the QB or the QB drops back (we use it as a draw play). I still don't agree with that, but was happy to at least get something.

I might still try it as it seems pretty basic and should not take long to learn I don't think (worst case they blow it dead but I doubt I will get a penalty). I can see how it would catch a team off-guard.

Video of Saturday's game:http://vimeo.com/10550964
Great stuff! Liked that center end around, noticed you used flood a few times. Your rushers did a great job of containment. Noticed your front guys on defense play off the los quite a bit compared to ours. Is there a reason you pull them back so far?
  • Like 1

Video of Saturday's game:http://vimeo.com/10550964
Great stuff! Liked that center end around, noticed you used flood a few times. Your rushers did a great job of containment. Noticed your front guys on defense play off the los quite a bit compared to ours. Is there a reason you pull them back so far?

Thanks Rob. Here is a video of the end around where we scored on the first play of the second half. That is our littlest player zooming down the sidelines there!!

We were playing against man coverage so that flood pass worked very well.

We are playing a 2-2-1 defense this season, where we have the 2 corners play about 5 yards of the LOS, 2 blitzers and 1 safety. We sometimes send 2 blitzers and we are doing a lot of stunting with those guys. Sometimes we send both, sometimes only one or the other, and sometimes send them in halfway and have them pull out. We are trying to get them to read the play on their own more this season, and especially concentrating on containing the run when they do blitz.

We use our weaker/slower defenders on the corners, so we keep them backed up a bit so they can keep the play in front of them and react to runs or passes better. We figure if the offense completes a 5 yard run or pass against us we are happy, it's when we let one get outside of us or over our heads that we get burned.

That's a great video of the center end around. You can even see how the fake reverse stops the pursuing defender in his tracks.

PS I love the reaction of the rest of the team on the sideline! Awesome!

• Like 1

That's a great video of the center end around. You can even see how the fake reverse stops the pursuing defender in his tracks.

PS I love the reaction of the rest of the team on the sideline! Awesome!

Thanks Orange. That center end around is one of my favorite plays now. You're absolutely right, the fake reverse makes the play even more effective.

One thing I like about running the reverse, is if the defense sends a rusher, usually the rusher breaks towards the side where the center is headed after the initial handoff to the center, and when the reverse happens, the QB can just stand there or move slightly and create an obstacle for the rusher to have to go around after the reverse handoff which serves like a pick for the rusher who doesn't have a chance of getting to the runner then. You can see a good example of this at 5:30 and 8:07 in the video.

Thanks for the video, coach. ("Is he the hutter?") Too funny. Sounds like my mom. :-)

At our upcoming coach's meeting, I am going to request they allow a hand-off the the C in front of the QB without dropping back. I've already started lobbying with some other coaches, and figure if I can get them on board, the league will allow it.

On to the end-around. It looks like a great play. My only concern (visualizing it in my head) is that defenses in our league usually put 2-3 players directly on the LOS. I can see them getting the C's flag before he takes a few steps (no matter how fast the C is). Of course I won't know until we run it. It looked like defenses you faced were playing off a few yards---is that mandatory?

It does look like a good play. I'd probably run it a few times---skipping the fake reverse--and then reverse it to the slot receiver.

Again, thanks for the videos. It does help. Hopefully this will be the season we finally roll tape on our games. A parent actually did last season, but then ran into issues transferring them to his PC and somehow lost them and gave up. :-(

Well we finally played our 2nd and 3rd games Saturday (it's been 3 weeks since our last game due to Easter weekend and rainouts).

We won our first game 32-0, we played OK, and the team we played wasn't that great, so it was a very easy game for us.

Our second game we played the best team in our division, and lost 20-0. The kids really lost focus during that game, and mentally just weren't into the game.

I could not get them focused or pumped up no matter what I tried. They were walking through the motions instead of running crisp routes and executing like they normally do.

I may have to try some new tactics to get them motivated if that happens again (hopefully it won't).

So we're 2-1 so far and still in the top 4 of our division.

We have 2 more games this weekend which should give us a good idea where we'll end up in the final standings with only 1 more game to play before the playoffs.

Well we are down to our last 2 game of the regular season we are 5-0 and have scored 229 points this season averaging 46 points a game and have only givin up 46 points we play the other undefeated team in our league this weekend and the 3rd place team the follwing weekend should be a real good test for my team

Hey Texas_D. I'm a new poster. Great video of the center option. What league do you coach in Central Texas? Currently coaching i9 South in Austin. (6-9 year olds.)

Hey Texas_D. I'm a new poster. Great video of the center option. What league do you coach in Central Texas? Currently coaching i9 South in Austin. (6-9 year olds.)

We play in the neighborhood sports NFL flag league.

We won our 2 games Saturday, 19-6, and 21-6. Our defense has been very solid this season giving up a total of 32 points so far through 5 games, and 6 of those points were due to an interception return.

We are 4-1 with one game left before playoffs, and our only loss to the only unbeaten team in our league.

Well we finished the season with a close win against a gritty team on Saturday. It was a defensive struggle, but we held on to win 7-6.We finished the season 5-1 and head into the playoffs this weekend as the 2nd or 3rd seed out of 14 teams.Should be alot of fun.

We had our playoffs 2 weeks ago, and won one and lost the next. First game we won 14-13, and the next game we got slaughtered like 31-6 by the team that went on to win the championship in the next game. Our kids scored near the end of the game and held the other team on their last few posessions, but we just didn't play well in that second game. Our kids broke down on the deep passes and let the other team throw it over our safeties heads 4 times for long scores. Defense has been our strength this season and we just didn't play like ourselves.

Oh well, it was a very successful season overall, and I know the kids had fun.cool.gif

We have played flag football for about 2 years straight now, and my son is finally interested in playing some other sports, so we're gonna give basketball a try this summer (and I'm not coaching this time, YEAH!!). It will be strange to be on the sidelines as a regular parent again...huh.gif

In the fall we are looking into a new form of flag football called Extreme Flag here in the Austin area. Sounds interesting, it's 7 on 7 flag with helmet and shoulder pads. More on that in a separate post.

Congrats, Texas_D. We had a tough Championship game ourselves in Austin last weekend (i9). Hadn't heard about the Extreme Flag league here in town. Need to look that one up. Enjoy the summer.