Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sharpie

Managing Youth Pitchers

Well the baseball season is fast approaching. I would like to have some thoughts and opinions on how to best manage the youth (12-14) pitcher. When they are struggling with their control do you try to let them work through it and for how long? Do you set-up certain rules so the pitcher knows ahead of time that for example after to consecutive walks you will pull him?

I know that game time situations will sometimes dictate how you handle the situation, but I am just looking for general things that you all have done that you have found to be successful in managing your pitchers.

Thanks!

Sharpie,

This is not always an easy one, especially at the younger levels. You like to give kids a chance to work through their control problems, but at the same time you don't want a kid to walk the whole side of the batting order.

We have usually set-up a pre-determined number of pitches 50 - 60, and also a pre-determined number of walks - 8 in a game or 3 batters in a row.

This helps easy the situation when you have to pull a pitcher especially if they know that they will get another opportunity to pitch down the road.

I would be interested in other's opinions on handling pitchers.

Doug

I will have to agree with the pre-determined pitch count. Also with the walks. Alot of the times a kid will

eventually work through the control problem but then you run into the problem of ruining self-confidence.

If I was you I would try to devellop at least 4-5decent pitchers. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH GOOD PITCHING.

Sharpie,

I try to make sure I know my players little idiosyncracies especially my pitchers. To know the difference between thier fatigue and just "not having it" that day. Your pitchers should have a mental toughness to be able to work thru a bad outing and a pitcher morre than any other player should have a high desire to compete.

I like to let my pitchers work thru a bad outing but of course not the the extent that they are walking in more than a run or 2. After 2 runs walked in in they are gone. I guess this goes back to "knowing" your pitchers.

Also, being able to fix mechanical breakdowns "on the fly" is critical to being a good coach and being able to "talk" a pitcher thru a bad "spell". It's almost like being a "shrink" Knowing just what to say and how much comes from knowing the game and being able to see flaws in your pitchers mechanics and being able to correct them in game time situations.

Things like, hands breaking late, front side opening too soon. Being able to see things real time and knowing how to fix them is not an easy thing, especially during a game. Hope I've answered your questions and good luck!

Syn

Thanks to all for the information.

I know the game well I have played it for many years, but it's very difficult to know the right approach and to do the right thing when it comes to coaching youth.

Predetermines pitch counts, and predetermined walk limits are a must. Players must have structured limits so they know what to expect.

Every year I tell my players that if they want to pitch for me they need to throw strikes. There is no defense to a walk.

Early in the year we are at 30 pitches a game adding 10 pitches to the limit each week . Two walks in an inning without an out is time for a change. Three walks in an inning is shower time. This may sound harsh but leaving them in to give up a big inning is even worse to their confidence.

Find opportunities for young pitchers to succeed. Use the veteran against tougher opponents and the new pitchers against weaker teams. Confidence in pitching (as in life) is everything.

Seadog

The number one criteria for a good pitcher is being able to throw strikes. Don't let a pitcher take the mound who cannot throw more strikes than balls in practice.

Give the kids a called pitch that's just a nice easy strike. In other words, don't worry about velocity or movement, just make a nice easy throw across the plate to either get a strike or get the ball in play. It could be a three, one being a fastball, two being a change, and three being a nice easy strike. If they dont' have a change-up, make it the two. Then when they get ahead on the hitter they throw the heat.

Have practices that only include Pitchers and Catchers. Work on their throwing motions, and teach them how to throw strikes, over and over in pratice. Why practice fielding drills when your Pitchers can't even get the ball in play? I've found kids are more accurate pitching from the wind-up, they naturally get more body movement going towards the plate. The footwork is more complicated so coaches like to teach the stretch, but again, I recommend pitching practices where you can work on these techniques, over and over again until it's natural for them. A little extra work on footwork will pay off with less walks....in my opinion.

Give them incentives to pitch more innings if they pitch well, not pitch counts that put undue stress on them. Most importantly, don't put them on the mound until they can throw strikes. Quite frankly, if your kids aren't throwing strikes you better look in the mirror. If you've been dealt an extremely poor hand of pitchers you need to have one or two pitching practices a week until they can throw strikes.