Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Td Celebrations

At our last game, we had an interesting scenario. I mentioned I have a player who has never played, just turned seven a few weeks before our season started (in 8-9 league). Well, he scored his first TD! Amazingly, he spiked the ball in the end zone. It wasn't a demonstrative spike, but he spiked it and raised his arms.

The opposing coach started lobbying for an unsportsmanlike penalty. I personally think that is over the top---calling for a penalty on a seven year old kid who was not being malicious but simply having fun. (Our rule book says nothing about spiking the ball or end-zone "celebrations".)

On our next series we scored again. A different player, and he decided to toss the ball in the air and catch it while in the end zone. Not sure why--it was odd, but that is what he did. This time the official threw a flag. Once again, he was not being malicious or showing up the other team. No big deal. We took the penalty (got moved back five yards for the x-point, which we made anyway).

I jokingly said to the official, "Oh, now you've done it. We are going to choreograph a team dance for when we score." ;-)

Ironically the week before I was watching a game and each time this one team scored, all players (including those on the bench) ran to the player in the end zone that scored and dog-piled him. Better yet, one of the parents had an air-horn, and this guy would let loose on it with two LOOONG (10 second) blasts. No penalty. I'm okay with that also. I think the air-horn is a little odd, but if that is how he wants to "contribute" to the team, so be it.

To that end, it was the first time I ever had to deal with end-zone celebrations. I told my players that they can celebrate as long has they don't taunt the oppossing team. I am an old school guy (act like you've been there before), but at the same time see no problem with a kid celebrating his success--once again as long as he is respectful of his opponents.

Curious as to if any of you have ever had to deal with end-zone celebrations, either with your team or with your opponents? Thanks

Well, I put it to my kids - mostly to the better players who score more often - not to put out a big display when they score. I expect celebration, especially with the younger kids, and why not?

There are times, absolutely, where it can go over the top, and cross the sportsmanship line, and I'm big on keeping us a fair distance from that line, if you know what I mean. I mean, we notice when we feel the other team has crossed the line, so we need to watch it in ourselves.

Case in point, we played a team this past season, and in their first possession one of my kids picked off a pass and ran it back for a touchdown. He didn't do a big display, but he did spike it over his shoulder. (Granted, he then retrieved the ball to give it to the official, which I appreciated.) An assistant coach proceeded to make a big display himself, shouting about how my player was being showy, demanding a penalty, etc. On their next possession, they had a great drive (after a bobbled kickoff) to go the length of the field and score on us. Their player caught the pass and did a quick cheer - it was their first score on us in 2 games - so he tossed it in the air. Hey, he was excited, good for him. But that assistant coach started yelling his celebration, telling his player to spike it ... I shrugged it off, but the referee went over to him and politely informed him that further excessive celebration by him or the player would result in a penalty. He emphasized "excessive celebration" as it was what that coach was yelling about.

It's a fine line we walk. I'll often cheer like a fool when my boys execute a play well, I'll admit that. I try to restrain myself, but I'm thrilled when a play works to perfection. That said, we need to be cognizant of the other team, the other players. If you're up big, I'd caution the kids to hold themselves back, so it doesn't look like they're rubbing it in.

A tough road to walk for players and coaches both.

I like the college rules on celebration. A player can not celebrate in a way that it draws attention to himself. They can high five teammates or jump on each other a little as long as its not over the top. In my opinion, any kind of spiking should draw a flag.

As a side note several seasons ago when my team last played in a YMCA league we scored a lot of tds. I told my kids that in the olden days players would "down" the ball after crossing the endzone for a td. It's a sort of kneel and place the ball on the ground thing. I told them that it would be cool if we did that after scoring. That became our way of celebrating tds. It was kind of corny but fun.

Well if i'm officiating a game players cannot spike the ball or they are getting a flag lol.i mean obviously as long as they understand whats going on.ex 4-6/7 year olds usually get some slack but i let them know plus there coach.any age older automatic flag.

If im coaching i address this situation in practice.After they kids score, hand the ball to the official & go back to the huddle.if they want to do high 5's there then thats fine.but i dont want attention being drawed to my team/players because of a dumb decision after scoring a touchdown.so i make sure i take care of that during practice.

Well if i'm officiating a game players cannot spike the ball or they are getting a flag"

I'm curious if is this a rule in your league, or something you institute yourself? I can certainly respect an official condoning a team from "showing up" their opponents, but also think it is a judgment call. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Also, is it just spiking the ball that will cause you to throw a flag, or is it any sort of excessive celebration? For example, Rule#4 for us is that anytime a player gets a flag or scores a TD, ALL players on the field are to go to his teammate and congratulate him. A few seasons ago, we were losing by a point in the final seconds, and one of my smaller players intercepted the ball and returned it for a TD. My players actually picked this kid up and were carrying him around the field. I thought it was pretty cool, as I knew they weren't doing it to show up the other team, but were congratulating their teammate's success (and I'm sure that kid will remember it the rest of his life).

Finally, what about fans? If it is excessive celebration that is to be prevented, does it include them also? I mentioned "air-horn guy". ;-) As stated, I was okay with it, but boy I could tell it was really rubbing the opposing players/coaches/parents the wrong way each time he would run up and down the sideline blowing his horn. To me that is more obnoxious (especially coming from an adult) than spiking the ball.

Please note I am not challenging your line of reasoning (so forgive me if it comes off as such). I'm just wanting to gain a perspective as to what you (or any offial) deem flag-worthy for celebrations. Thanks

I'm curious if is this a rule in your league, or something you institute yourself?

Also, is it just spiking the ball that will cause you to throw a flag, or is it any sort of excessive celebration? For example, Rule#4 for us is that anytime a player gets a flag or scores a TD, ALL players on the field are to go to his teammate and congratulate him. A few seasons ago, we were losing by a point in the final seconds, and one of my smaller players intercepted the ball and returned it for a TD. My players actually picked this kid up and were carrying him around the field. I thought it was pretty cool, as I knew they weren't doing it to show up the other team, but were congratulating their teammate's success (and I'm sure that kid will remember it the rest of his life).

Finally, what about fans? If it is excessive celebration that is to be prevented, does it include them also? I mentioned "air-horn guy". ;-) As stated, I was okay with it, but boy I could tell it was really rubbing the opposing players/coaches/parents the wrong way each time he would run up and down the sideline blowing his horn. To me that is more obnoxious (especially coming from an adult) than spiking the ball.

Please note I am not challenging your line of reasoning (so forgive me if it comes off as such). I'm just wanting to gain a perspective as to what you (or any offial) deem flag-worthy for celebrations. Thanks

John...Great questions man.I have no prob answering them at at all...

As far as spiking the ball goes it depends on the league your doing.most leagues will outlaw that.if not it is up to the officials descretion and i will most definitely institute that as excessive celebration and pretty much every official i work with is the same way.this is usually something i address when i meet with the coaches before the game then the captains for the coin toss.i always go over a few things and celebration is always one of them.

Now as far as excessive celebration goes again that is a league rule kind of thing.some leagues i've officiated have allowed some crazy stuff and some dont allow much.in your situation in your league i would have allowed that.since your league has a rule in place to congratulate things like that obviously that would have been ok.now i would make sure i would get it clarified with league officials with the older kids but as far as younger kids go it wouldnt be a big deal.

oh man as i coach i love those air horn things.i love those & the cow-bells...as an official those have no bearing at all on the game.as long as a fan isnt getting all crazy on the sidelines & yelling obsurd things then i dont worry about fans.now that also depends on the league.some leagues i have done have parents on 1 side and players on the other.some of 1 team with players/coaches/parents on 1 side & the other team on the other side.it all varies.in a situation were a parent is starting to yell obsurd things at me or any official im working with the head official will address it with the head coach and advise them of what we are hearing and for it to stop.after 1 warning we can have the parent removed if need be.ive never ever had it go that far.i've thrown out coaches but never any parents.obviously you have the ones that yell when they think the penalty is bad or what not but usually you need 1 that rides your butt all game long to get under your skin.not normal...i personally dont worry about whats going on, on the sidelines with parents as far as celebration goes.it just makes them look dumb when they are doing crazy things.but to an official it really means nothing.

We played a team this season (the only one to beat us in the regular season btw), that would go to the sidelines and do pushups after every series they stopped us on defense.

I thought it was kind of funny, and didn't really bother me at all, but it rubbed one of my assistant coaches really wrong, so much so that I had to talk him out of going up and confronting the other teams coah after the game.

To me it's really just personality differences. Some people don't mind that type of stuff and some do. I guess it really just depends what personality the ref you get has, and how much it bothers him...