Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KWILSON512

6 On 6 Help...new Coach

First time coach needs help!

My 5 year old nephew asked me to be the head coach of his team (5-6 year olds) and I couldnt refuse so...

I'm find myself trying to find info everywhere I can on how to conduct practices for 5 year olds, how to hold their attention and how to install any type of playbook. I know I have to keep it simple with runs but we have passing zones too. I also have no clue what defense to run...the questions are endless really.

Thanks alot in advance...I'm new here and the forums look great, alot of info on them and i've already spent alot of time looking, I plan to coach him all the way through high school so I will try to contribute in every way I can in the future.

Actually this question gets asked a lot and answered in these forums. Take some time to look through some of the older posts and you'll find info on how to coach up these younger kids. Good luck.

As mentioned you will find quite a bit of information concerning "where to start" with 5/6 year olds. The short answer is keep it fun (i.e. do not get caught up in winning/losing), spread the ball around, and put in some quality time practicing your plays. Also implement rules from day one---with one of the most important being "no talking in the huddle".

• Like 1