Y-coach.com - Forum
GeorgeC

Measuring Participation

I'd like to find out what all measures you are using to count participation. "Touches" is a big one that has been brought up. Within this particular measurement, do you include a dropped pass as a touch? Does the kid QB get a tick in his touch column for every snap?

What other measurements do you use?

3rd grade 6/6 flag football, one rusher.

When it comes to ball touches, I try to think like a kid or a parent who's paid for their child to play in a rec league. Most kids want to run or catch the ball and I'd say most parents want to see their child run or catch the ball.

We don't track playing QB or center as ball touches, we track actual runs and attempted catches as ball touches. The person tracking the touches uses [X] for a successful handoff or catch and a [/] if the handoff was bumbled or "catchable" pass was dropped. We won't focus on a kid if he's dropped a pass or fumbled the ball trying to get them a "successful" touch over and over. We move on and if we've been successful spreading around the touches, we'll try and get them another in the game.

Having said all that, I don't modify my offensive strategy based on ball touches. I look for exploits and plays that work, then check in with the ball touch tracker during the game for updates. They write down a few names and we try to get those kids touches. If a player has less touches in a game, we try to make it up the next game.

This is an interesting question. You are correct that the majority on here track touches as means to define participation. However, I think it should be re-worded (at least in my approach) as tracking "plays". On each passing play, we have a primary receiver. If the ball is thrown the the receiver and he drops it, I consider that a "touch". I've had games were a receiver did not get a single hand-off, but he had the ball thrown to him four or five times. In my mind, that equates to same thing as handing the ball off to him 4-5 times.

I don't really count touches at the QB level. Ironically, my son (who is our QB) once tried to pull the ol' "But I did not get x carries today." I told him if he wants to play QB, that is simply how it is, and if he would rather not play QB and get x carries, we can modify things (he got the message pretty quickly). ;-)

I think at the end of the day, if certain players are not involved, it is obvious. The majority of the teams we played last season only involved 3-4 players the entire game. It was glaring.

One thing I would recommend against is playing half the kids ONLY on offense, and half of them ONLY on defense. There are always one or two teams in our league that do this, and I simply don't think that is right to do.

We won't focus on a kid if he's dropped a pass or fumbled the ball trying to get them a "successful" touch over and over. We move on and if we've been successful spreading around the touches, we'll try and get them another in the game.

This is very interesting. i.e. How do you deal with players who are are simply having a bad game. First, I am proud to say I've never given the same player the ball twice (i.e. two plays in a row). I don't think there is much wrong with that other than it can possibly send the wrong message if you are not careful with it.

To that end, when I see a player has unprecented fumbles or drops, I tend to break the rules. So often in these situations, I find myself in the huddle telling the kids "We aren't going out like that. Same play!" By that, if I feel it was a freak thing, I go right back at the player to build some confidence.

I do agree if it's not the kid's day and he begins to embarass himself out there, it's important to let the kid know that. As I always tell the team when a player has a bad game, "Joey is coming out with a vengeance next week!" Usually this comes true. So basically, I give the player one more chance to make up for a complete meltdown play, and if he bombs again, then it becomes one of our focus items for the week.

John and Rob,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. We played our first game last night and lost miserably to a team that has been together since Kindergarten, playing both fall and spring flag football. We had one parent who kept track, so that at half-time and at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, I checked and made sure that we would get the ball to everyone. In the end, everyone did have a touch, but it was interesting that it was only 1-2 touches for most of the kids. Does that seem normal? Note: my first time coaching flag football.

George

3rd grade flag football, Kid QB, 6/6, one rusher

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. We played our first game last night and lost miserably to a team that has been together since Kindergarten, playing both fall and spring flag football.

This is always the great equalizer (playing a team that has been together a while). Not just because of the players, but assuming they have had the same coach--he probably knows how to use his players well.

In the end, everyone did have a touch, but it was interesting that it was only 1-2 touches for most of the kids. Does that seem normal? Note: my first time coaching flag football.

As long as everyone got a "touch" that is fair, in my opinion. Of course if one player got it 15 times, and the rest only 1-2 then that is different. However, if you were on the losing end (by a wide margin) I imagine you had a limited number of plays on offense.

Depends on the player's abilities and mental attitude, usually we just get them another touch and everything is cool. Haven't run into too many situations where a specific player fumbles and drops catches, usually one or the other. If they're having a hard time catching, I switch to a simple handoff.

Agreed. Unfortunately, I've had quite a few situations where a specific player has had a bad game. Seems to happen at least two games a season. One player last season fumbled three times, and the one hand-off he did take---he tripped over his feet with no one in front of him. He took it well, and laughed it off.

I've seen others cry. Usually when this happens, I will keep him in until we sub. When we sub (and the player is going to the bench), I'll motion to the parent to check on him. Usually a pep talk and a hug from dad does the trick. ;-)