Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lew7hokiefan

Motivational Talks

For me, it's: "I don't care how many touchdowns you score. I don't care about how many flags you pull. It's not about individual statistics. We let our opponents worry about who they are going to rely on. All I care about is at the end of the game, our opponent remembers who they played. Do your part."

That's pretty much how we roll. It's all about execution for us. Teach your team how to play smart football, and you will succeed. I guarantee it. :-)

I try to keep the pep talks short because my guys tune out quickly. One mantra I repeat quite a bit, though, is "Play Hard, Have Fun". It's one of several of our go-to sayings when we put hands in the middle.

We need everyone on the field engaged and into the game to succeed. Playing hard also gives players their best chance to succeed. I even tell them that I know we won't be perfect, but I'd rather see them make a mistake going all out then make a mistake going at half speed.

Again, not that this pumps anyone up necessarily, but I also lean on this, "You Gotta Crawl Before You Can Walk, Walk Before You Can Run, and Run Before You Can Fly"

One mantra I repeat quite a bit, though, is "Play Hard, Have Fun".

Very nice! I agree it's important for the kids to have a mantra (something that defines the team). Ours is "Smart Football". Sounds tiresome, but I've had over five seasons to drive this mantra into the team, and they hold it very dear. It's what they are about.

I stole it from friday night lights but the kids love it when i go. Clear Eyes full hearts and they yell cant lose.

Also the thing i enjoyed they love the most that gets em real hyped up is when i get em in a circle and have them clapping lounder and louder and then they get lower and then i yell break down they jump to the ground and yell tigers.(our team name)

Back in the day we were always underdogs. Only the past three seasons we have been "the team to beat." However, I have--and always will, coach my team to be the underdogs.

I want them to have the biggest chip on their shoulder, they are ready to play any team, any where!

I realize some may disagree with this approach, but we don't get "hyped up". We see too many teams do it, and we are different. In fact, my team loves watching and then clapping after a team does one of its Ray Lewis-type cheer before the game. This is not to dismiss it, just some teams in our league get REALLY into their cheers/chants, and we always stand like we are in awe.

Then it becomes a big social event for us. The kids are playing whatever football game they've made up (One flag, Monkey in the middle, etc.) and simply being kids. I remember my first season, a parent came up and asked, "Do you think we should be doing jumping jacks like the other team?". I told him "Nope."

Then when the game starts, we punch 'em in the mouth with smart football, and they have no idea what hit them.

Seeing the looks on the other players/coach's faces when this team--who they did not think much of--just kick the (you know what) out of them is my favorite part of coaching!

This is what I cannot wait for especially this season, when it will be easier for me to sell the team on being under-dogs. I will enjoy every minute of fight this team puts in.