Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeC

Video Camera On Field

Anyone ever used a video camera on field during a game? With the size of the littler cameras, like the Flip, it would be easy to handle it. I'd use the video for post-season party, for history, to clip and send highlights to parents, and for post-game review. I'm concerned though what the refs and other coaches might not like it. We are forbidden from sharing game film, but that's not what I want it for. Ever done it? What do you think?

There are probably 3-5 camera's rolling film in any one of our games. Most do it, as you mentioned, for end-of-season highlights. Some are coaches trying to scout you (a little silly, IMO). I did have a parent provide me with a film of one of our games once, and it was incredible the little things I was able to pick out and improve on.

The whole video thing seems commonplace these days especially with parents and grandparents on the sidelines. Don't think it would even be an issue.

I've put a few together and consolidated them into DVDs for the parents:

Link is here to some of the vids

Use video all the time in basketball to teach the kids a concept. One of the vids I used to teach the kids things we'd gone over in practice: Link here

I'd review the "game film" if someone taped for a game. It was a tremendous help in determining what we needed to work on in the next practice. I took a few pro golf lessons a while back, first thing the pro did was set up a video camera. In the first 10 minutes, I knew right away what I was doing wrong by watching myself on the video. Still have my day job, so I don't think this method is 100% full proof yet, however, I'm convinced it's one of the best teaching methods though.

The difference in my question is that of you, the offensive coach, using the camera yourself on-field.

Rob, I've watched that floods play at 2:05 several times. It's worked a couple of times for us. My usual problems are that the kids haven't yet grasped the fake concept, and, the receiver gets way downfield. In the Floods play example, they are downfield 5-6 yards, instead of 2-4.

The difference in my question is that of you, the offensive coach, using the camera yourself on-field.

Ahh, no I haven't, although I did ask a parent to film from behind the endzones now and then. That worked pretty well.

I used a video camera yesterday in practice. I thought practice was going pretty well until I got home and looked at the videos. It's amazing some of the things that you see. Things like individuals not running correct routes, bad fakes, good fakes, great running, lackadaisical effort, the reason for consistent offsides, other execution problems.

For us, I found that a big part of our problem was the long time in the quarterback execution. All 3 of them would take the snap and then hesitate for a couple of seconds. In the short videos, you can see where the receiver is open, but the QB doesn't get the ball to them. One-two seconds of hesitation, the defender catches up to the receiver, and now the QB has to scramble, and more than likely set up a nice interception.

Even for a practice, I highly suggest taking a little Flip or other video camera, then review later.