Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Team Handshake

As I'm always looking for ways to employee cohesiveness with my players, I'm thinking of implementing a team "handshake" this season. It would be cool to see all the players celebrating on the field with a "team-only" handshake.

Nothing too cheesy. Something like slapping hands side-to-side then fist bump, or anything to that affect.

I'll ask the players at our first practice if they even want to do it, and assuming they do we will come up with one. To me it seems like it would be cool and fun to do.

I've not seen another team do this, but curious if any of you have done this, and/or what you think of the idea.

Thanks!

Some things I do to foster “team” cohesiveness:

Before the game, we go on the field together as a team, in single file behind the coach (me).

After the game, we come off the field together in the same manner and walk past where the parents are sitting. The parents cheer the “team” as they walk by.

We do a team “hands in” cheer (1, 2, 3, GO {fill in your team name here}) before the game, at halftime before the start of the second half, and after the game. We also do it after practice. I rotate which kid gets to yell out the “1, 2, 3.” They are only 6 years old, and they all want to be chosen for it.

We used a fist bump as our "handshake". Really wasn't the type of handshake I was looking for, more getting them to do it out on the field. When they were younger I used incentives (end of game goodies for entire team) for # of bumps out on the field. We actually had someone track the bumps during certain games. Sounds goofy and contrived, but it worked. Over time, it became part of who we were as a team, so we'd just have to say "let see lots of bumps out there today". They definitely looked like a team that supported and respected each other when you watched from the sidelines, which was our goal.

Team unity has been--and will always be my number one goal. We ended up developing a team handshake. It's pretty elaborate, but the kids all LOVE it. It's very entertaining to see the kids congratulate each other in this manner on the field. Everyone (including the crowd) appreciates it. ;-) The kids know it is not show-boating, but instead enjoying each other success.

It's kind of like a breakdown (chant) that is unique to your team. I'm with you on trying creative things to bring that team unity. If you ever get a chance to film it, would be cool to see.