Y-coach.com - Forum

I impulsively signed up to be a volunteer coach for my son's 4/5 flag football at the Y. For some reason, I didn't think it would be a big deal until I went to the coach's meeting and I am the only woman. I'm not intimidated but I received quite a few smirks from all the guys. I'm only 5ft 2in. Most of the parent's have been fine with me coaching their sons, but I did have one dad bail out on me.

I love football, but I've never coached before. The only football I play is backyard football with the guys and my husband and kids during the week. I love kids, teach Sunday school, so I have no doubt I can easily teach them the fundamentals. Any support from male coaches would be appreciated, but if there are any other women out there, please, I'm desperate. I need to know that there are women coaches out there. Thanks.

Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays

Well, I'm not female, but I'll respond to your post by telling you a quick story. My son started playing sports at age 3. After a few seasons of flakey coaches it became apparent that finding a coach that understood kids and the meaning of FUN was the key.

Enter Susie, an energetic lady who was great with the kids, the parents and kids both loved her, so naturally we latched on and requested her with each passing season. She was a master at teaching skills while making it fun at the same time. The practices moved quickly, the kids laughed, and we all had a blast together.

Somewhere during the 4/5 yr old season I became her assistant and eventually would become a head coach on my own. I used many of her techniques and owe a lot to her example as a coach.

Personally I think its fine as long as you're a decent coach. I'm not a huge fan of 4/5 year old football (think they are too young) but if you keep things simple, have fun and create a love for the sport, you'll do great. The goal should be to have every kid end the season, not wanting the season to end. Good luck.

PS Don't put too many passes in your playbook, if any.

Oh and as a side note I have not seen any woman flag football coaches. But my son's U12 basketball team plays in a competitive league against a very good team that's coached by a woman. There are only boys on her team. Admittedly your first thought is "a woman?" But once you see her in action you can tell she is very competent and any doubt quickly fades. She isn't more or less demonstrative than any of the other coaches, she just coaches like anyone else and carries herself with confidence.

Also, my daughter plays soccer and there are quite a number of woman coaches. Her team has a trainer who is an excellent coach. She is one of the better soccer coaches I've run into.

Hi Coach TB,

Another female coach here:) I am a conditioning coach for a Pop Warner Tackle team (www.deervalleybullwhips.com) ..this is my first season and I really enjoy being on the coaching staff. My Son also plays for the team and this is his first Pop Warner season as well. I was actually asked to Head Coach a flag team but my Son really wanted to play tackle. I am also USA Football certified. Next season the team will be moving up and we will not as my Son is the youngest on the team. I am, however, going to put a team together with another coach, My Husbands job is all over the place so he assist when he can:), and we are going to play the winter season with another youth sports program which will be 8 man (Pop Warner is 11 man) and we are currently looking for players with hopes that we can stay together to form a new Pop Warner team for the next season.

I have been blessed working the coaching staff and I have learned a lot:) there are 8 of us and 24 kiddos and I am looking forward to the opportunity to use what I learned and incorporate it with what I know.

I truly believe there is a place for Women in football..and I do not mean just cheerleading LOLOLOL:) but as long as you have the basics, fundamentals and techniques down there is no reason you cannot be as successful as a man. I would like to keep in touch with you and share with our experiences.

Have a great season,

Coach Amber

I coach Girls NFL 5x5 Flag in Texas. I have seen a few teams with Asst. Female coaches. As others have said keep it fun, make them want to play and it should work for you. This forum has many great tidbits of great info to use along the way.

Coaching girls 9-11yrs old takes a level of understanding your players. I have seen a few male coaches on other teams screaming at the little girls like they would the boys and they break down.

I had one set of parents say their daughter had a lot of fun playing for me, but since I run a system where every child gets to play, they want a coach that wants to be more competitive. I guess that is code for win at all costs and only play the best kids. Good luck and it will work for you.

I impulsively signed up to be a volunteer coach for my son's 4/5 flag football at the Y. For some reason, I didn't think it would be a big deal until I went to the coach's meeting and I am the only woman. I'm not intimidated but I received quite a few smirks from all the guys. I'm only 5ft 2in. Most of the parent's have been fine with me coaching their sons, but I did have one dad bail out on me.

I love football, but I've never coached before. The only football I play is backyard football with the guys and my husband and kids during the week. I love kids, teach Sunday school, so I have no doubt I can easily teach them the fundamentals. Any support from male coaches would be appreciated, but if there are any other women out there, please, I'm desperate. I need to know that there are women coaches out there. Thanks.