Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cschernandez

Here Are My Kids

Hi my name is Juan. Here are couple of highlight videos of the kids I have coached. Currently we are the Buccaneers out here on Pearl Harbor, we are 3 - 0. The last 2 games were without our star player but our kids hung together and came up with some big wins. I am not the best Coach but I do learn from mistakes so if anyone wants some tips or plays please let me know.

Good stuff, coach. I particularly liked the double-reverse back to the QB. I assume he's looking to throw first (it appeared that way in the video) and if his primary his not open he takes off? I might try this play this season. Seems like it would be good set up by running the reverse a few times first, then double it back to the QB.

Thanks

Thank you Coach. I so copied that center-snap-back-to-center play (0:30 in the first video). Last night we played a very, very good team. We are not so very good. Thanks to your play, our kid banked 6 points on it and we spoiled the other team's shutout. Other coach screaming: that's not legal, that's not legal, that's not legal. We were still whooped, but that play alone made a bunch of kids happy.

Thank you Coach. I so copied that center-snap-back-to-center play (0:30 in the first video). Last night we played a very, very good team. We are not so very good. Thanks to your play, our kid banked 6 points on it and we spoiled the other team's shutout. Other coach screaming: that's not legal, that's not legal, that's not legal. We were still whooped, but that play alone made a bunch of kids happy.
Cool about not letting them shut you out. Our league "outlawed" that play a few years back and said that all handoffs had to be clean. Their definition of clean was making sure the QB had the ball and handed back off to the player. The one in that video looked clean to me, but our league won't even allow that. The center must turn around and be behind the los. I think centers were just letting the ball touch the QBs hands, then taking off running.

Cool about not letting them shut you out. Our league "outlawed" that play a few years back and said that all handoffs had to be clean. Their definition of clean was making sure the QB had the ball and handed back off to the player. The one in that video looked clean to me, but our league won't even allow that. The center must turn around and be behind the los. I think centers were just letting the ball touch the QBs hands, then taking off running.

Most leagues specify that a handoff back to the center cannot go between his legs. In other words the center would have to turn around and accept the handoff normally.

I'm surpised that is a legal play--but it they allow it--go for it. I'm sure I could come up with some pretty cool things to do if that were allowed in our league (oh, to dream...) ;-)

I re-checked the rules book and it doesn't say anything contrary to this particular play. The other thing that makes it work, is that usually my QB calls a very loud, clear "down-set-hike". In this case, he comes up and taps the center on the butt when he is ready for the snap. Even if we did the play so that the center had to turn around to take the ball, I think it would still work well with the silent snap.

This is the way our rulebook reads:

"Snapping the Ball

The center must snap the ball between the legs and must release the

ball to the quarterback for a legal play to begin. Shotgun snaps are

allowed but not required.

Handoffs to the center are allowed, however he/she may not receive a

handoff between the legs."

But like others said, if your league does not specifically disallow it and you can make it work, go for it. I see nothing wrong.

Great stuff there coach. They seem very well coached. I was particularly impressed how everyone stopped theri routes and stood still once the run or pass was past the line of scrimmage. That is one of the harder things to get kids to do sometimes.

So here is a question for everyone, if you were on your league's "competition committee", would you allow it?

I could argue either side of it. Against it, I would say that it is not in the spirit of the game and that it is too much unlike anything that you might see in high school or college play. For it though, I would argue that it teaches the defenses to keep their eye on the ball and not listen to the QB cadence.

So here is a question for everyone, if you were on your league's "competition committee", would you allow it?

Disallow. It's too gamey especially with limited numbers on a side (5v5, 7v7, etc).

Here is another video from the past 2 games.
Cscher - great little video, you've got some talented players on your team, pleasure to watch.
Wouldn't allow it only because it could be difficult for refs to see if a clean handoff takes place. Like I said previously, our league banned it b/c centers were lifting the ball quickly and touching the QB's hands, then taking off with the ball.

Nice play and is very well executed by the kids, but I do agree with my NFL Flag League: flag football should look a lot and emulate NFL except for the tackling. I donĀ“t know if NFL pro would allow a play like this in its ruling but at least I have never seen it executed by the big guys, so if I was in a committee, I would stick to making this play not legal.

Beside this, league ruling would not allow this type of plays, not because of the center snap but the Qb hand off would be illegal, ruling says all hand offs have to be done away from the LOS (side or back hand off), there has been previous discussion on this polemic rule before on this forum before.

We ran this play again at our last game. We gained about 10 yds (vs. the TD the first time we ran it). However, this time, the lead ref disallowed it. We agreed to both check with the Head of Referees and to replay the down.

I sent email to the Head, using Coach Cschernandez's youtube video at 0:30 as an example. The Head Ref responded:

The correct play is the center must turn a 180 and then have the ball place back into the centers hand. That was the old way. It is so fun to still talk about.

This is one of those things, where it's not in the rulebook, but the refs are not going to allow it. There's only one more game left in the season, so I'm not going to worry about it.

However, this time, the lead ref disallowed it. We agreed to both check with the Head of Referees and to replay the down.

See...this is what I like to hear about. I guarantee you in our league, had there been a point of contention like this, 90% of the coaches in our league would be ranting and raving the entire game. When I see a coach whine in our games, I always step on the gas a little more to (frankly) shut them up so they can take their beating like a man and not point to one play that cost them the game. I understand a lot of times it's because our team is smaller and slower (and they get a little embarrassed). In most games once we get up two TDs I take the foot off the pedal (sorry for the race car idioms), but when I see a coach refuse to accept an official's call--I have little mercy for them.

So...congrats to you and the other coach for agreeing to disagree and moving on.