Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GeorgeC

Do You Ever Use A Silent Snap Count?

We used a silent snap count with the bummerooski play learned from Coach Cschernandez's post. But have been told by the refs to now not use that play. In last Monday's practice, we still used the silent snap count in a scrimmage with a variety of other plays. Normally, my QB comes up to the line with a very loud and distinct "Dowwwwwwn, Settttttt, Hike". With the other team used to the loud cadence, the silent snap gives us an extra second, and should catch a couple of defensive kids flat-footed. I don't intend it to be a hurry-up offense in order to get the snap off before they are ready.

What do you think? Fair practice? Or cheap?

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with a silent snap count, a hurry up offense would be something a bit more sketchy. Most rec leagues have kids who've never played, newbie coaches, etc., so I guess anything outside the norm could be misinterpreted as "cheap".

Keeping it in the context of playing in a rec league, I usually play straight forward football. We had more than one occasion where teams weren't ready on defense, even with the ref telling us to run the play, I told the QB to wait. Some may disagree, however, I always wanted to win leaving no doubt it was because we executed, not because of a "cheap play" in their eyes. If we were playing in a league with tryouts, I wouldn't wait and run everything I could within the regs and rules. I'm betting good fundamentals would still win out in the end though.

Speaking of tryout leagues, now that my son has moved up to a league with tryouts (in basketball), the teams on top let their skill and solid fundamentals do the talking. Teams that try and get fancy or run complicated plays usually get crushed.

We never ran it, but I considered it.

I don't think it is cheap. When you have a guy chomping at the bit, waiting to hear your QB ask for the ball so he can rush, I think anything that buys him that extra second is ok.

I don't see it as any different, especially at this level, than running the snap on 2 or 3 instead of the first "hike".

I am split on the hurry up. Teams in our league pretty much settle on the same d throughout the game. If they change it is inbetween posessions. We always tried to tell our D to get lined back up. If we don't tell them they are doing something different, then they are doing the same as last snap. Most teams, I don't think it would matter against.

There are 1 or 2 teams, that I felt I would do it against, just to see what happened because they are one of "those teams". You guys know what I mean, every league has one or two that will do anything to win, even in a 7-8 year old rec league.

There are a few teams, that we held up and waited for the snap. They were teams we were simply better than and the game was going to get out of hand, if it already hadn't. They weren't trying to stall, their kids were simply confused and didn't know where to go. As the season wore on, maybe, we didn't wait as long, but we gave them an extra couple of seconds. Honestly, I think it is a fine line between being courteous and slowing your offense's flow.

I have no problem with the silent count. I think it might be just as effective to vary the cadence. Hurry up, if someone was using it because it kept their offense flowing I would not care. If they were just trying to get a freebie play on a quick snap....I wouldn't say much, but, I wouldn't do it....it depends somewhat on the age level

There are 1 or 2 teams, that I felt I would do it against, just to see what happened because they are one of "those teams". You guys know what I mean, every league has one or two that will do anything to win, even in a 7-8 year old rec league. There are a few teams, that we held up and waited for the snap. They were teams we were simply better than and the game was going to get out of hand, if it already hadn't. They weren't trying to stall, their kids were simply confused and didn't know where to go. As the season wore on, maybe, we didn't wait as long, but we gave them an extra couple of seconds. Honestly, I think it is a fine line between being courteous and slowing your offense's flow.
You captured the spirit of what I was trying to say, it depends on the team you're playing against. If the teams are evenly matched, having a silent snap count or running a hurry up offense shouldn't make that big of a difference in the end. Most of the time, it's painfully obvious when a team doesn't have it together and using common sense (like you pointed out above) is the best solution.

We've fooled around with the silent snaps. A couple of times we even ran a whole game like that. I don't think it really ever gave us much of an edge but the kids thought it was cool, especially the center and QB. Qb would walk up and tap the center on the back of the leg when he was ready. If anything it makes the other players pay more attention to the snap.

We've run it a few times as well, and had mixed results. We've been more effective when we go on "Down". In our case it seems to lull the defense a little (have no idea why).

I agree with Rob that a hurry-up can be considered somewhat sketchy in a rec league. Although our defense can handle a hurry-up, I get little disappointed when I see a team do this, as he mentioned there are other teams that can't handle it due to being new. Personally, I always wait unil the defense is lined up before asking my QB to being his cadence.

But no, I see no problem with running a silent count. If anything it will be a good coaching point for the defensive coach to go over with his kids.