Y-coach.com - Forum
GeorgeC

Elevating For Rebounds

Hi coaches,

I coach a 3rd grade boys YMCA team. Of 9 kids, 3-4 know well what they are doing, a couple are new to basketball, and the others are ok.

We've been successful in getting the kids to block out (we've got a couple of big-body kids), but are having a tougher time getting them to jump and snag the ball in mid-air for the rebound. They tend to sit and wait for the ball to come to them. Honestly, most teams are flat-footed, so I want the jump-height advantage.

Does anyone have any suggestions for fun drills to get them to get off their feet and to feel natural about jumping?

I've tried just tossing the ball up a bit and getting them to snag it out of the air, but as soon as they get into a scrimmage, they revert to flat feet. Any suggestions for something that seems to stick?

Rebounding always seems to be a challenge with the younger guys.

Couple of suggestions:

1) Mikan drill (improved my son's rebounding) make sure they rebound keeping ball up high at least chin level. This one might be a bit challenging for the smaller kids.

2) Scrimmage 1/2 court. Only way to get points is by being on defense and getting rebounds. Usually a team gets a point for any rebound, but you could make it so they have to jump up to get rebound for a point. Anyone getting a rebound flat footed, it doesn't count. Come up with a code word for it... "get up" or "fly" or "snags", whatever... so you can remind them during the real game with the code word.

Something like this:

3) Reward them in an actual game for their "get ups" or "snags" with some small deal at end of game. Give them a challenge, "if you guys get 7 "get ups" as a team, you all get what's in the bag at the end of the game" (could be gum, candy, etc.). Have a parent or coach track the rebounds when they jump up.

4) Anytime you see them doing it right in practice. Stop the practice and make a BIG deal out of it. "That's it! Right there!" "Did everyone see that?!?" type of thing.

Rebounding always seems to be a challenge with the younger guys.

Couple of suggestions:

1) Mikan drill (improved my son's rebounding) make sure they rebound keeping ball up high at least chin level. This one might be a bit challenging for the smaller kids.

Great idea. I've used it for my own son in the past, but forgot about it. For my own son, I lowered the basket to the 6-foot level. I wanted him to concentrate on the motions.

2) Scrimmage 1/2 court. Only way to get points is by being on defense and getting rebounds. Usually a team gets a point for any rebound, but you could make it so they have to jump up to get rebound for a point. Anyone getting a rebound flat footed, it doesn't count. Come up with a code word for it... "get up" or "fly" or "snags", whatever... so you can remind them during the real game with the code word.

We try to not scrimmage too much. I find it to be a big time waster. Some value, but mostly we spend lots of time getting the kids to stop and start. We have started doing walk-throughs, where we do a tip-off and then stop. Then one side is offense and we run one play. Then stop. Basically, walk-throughs gives lots of teaching moments.

The video that you posted was great. I'd love to find a simple way to create that animation. There is a big TV screen at the gym that we could plug into to talk about it.

3) Reward them in an actual game for their "get ups" or "snags" with some small deal at end of game. Give them a challenge, "if you guys get 7 "get ups" as a team, you all get what's in the bag at the end of the game" (could be gum, candy, etc.). Have a parent or coach track the rebounds when they jump up.

4) Anytime you see them doing it right in practice. Stop the practice and make a BIG deal out of it. "That's it! Right there!" "Did everyone see that?!?" type of thing.

We do similar types of that. I love the grins on kids faces when they get the big attaboy from their coach.

We try to not scrimmage too much. I find it to be a big time waster.
I hear you on the scrimmage, however, adding constraints (e.g. points only for rebounds) can help isolate a concept you're trying to teach. One our favorite scrimmages is no dribbling allowed. It has helped us emphasize good passing, getting open, coming to meet the ball, and helping out on offense.

One our favorite scrimmages is no dribbling allowed.

I saw you post that elsewhere. I'm going to try that next Wednesday practice. Part of the problem with scrimmaging-to-teach-offense is that the defense doesn't know to back off a bit so that the offense can learn the point in question. I've not been able to convince the defense-boys to back off ... let them learn what's going on. We've got 9 kids, with usually eight showing up at practice, so we'll do 5 on 3, but still difficult.

One our favorite scrimmages is no dribbling allowed.

I saw you post that elsewhere. I'm going to try that next Wednesday practice. Part of the problem with scrimmaging-to-teach-offense is that the defense doesn't know to back off a bit so that the offense can learn the point in question. I've not been able to convince the defense-boys to back off ... let them learn what's going on. We've got 9 kids, with usually eight showing up at practice, so we'll do 5 on 3, but still difficult.

If the defense isn't backing off, make them play with their hands behind their backs (they can only use hands to rebound). We use this in scrimmage situations to teach the kids that defense is all about moving their feet, not relying on their hands. That might help and serve two purposes.

Even 4 on 4 scrimmages are ok. We'll allow uneven mini-games like 3 on 2 to emphasize that someone will be open on offense and challenge the defense to communicate.