Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ProudAg96

My Playbook - Comments Appreciated

I have stolen from many of you and have decided to use the color coded system with my 5v5 team (5-7 YO I9 rules)

each player will wear a different colored wristband to correspond to his spot on the the field. I'll show them the play in the huddle and announce (by color or letter or number) who will get the ball. By having the colors in a variety of places in my playbook, i can get every player time at every position. I can also run the same play four times in a row and get the ball to all four non-QBs.

There are 15 plays in here, I'd only expect to run 4-5 per game.

Please tell me what you think. I played football for a long time, and have coached my son in soccer and t-ball. I'm not sure yet what to expect out of flag football, especially not sure what these kids can process.

I expect that I'll need to incorporate some motion or spacing changes to get the timing right on some of these plays. The general idea is to have simplicity for my team but deception for the defense.

WCS 2010 playbook.ppt

For that age group I found that the defense really bites on reverses, so think of adding one or two of those in there. We would run a play like your first one, wildcat, have the off side reciever come back for a reverse. We liked to run the same play twice, once on the reverse, then the next play fake the reverse. Lastly, I would be careful of shotgun as in I9 a dropped ball is a dead ball. We don't even run shotgun for our 8-10 year old team, as I just don't have anyone reliable enough. Good luck!

For that age group I found that the defense really bites on reverses, so think of adding one or two of those in there. We would run a play like your first one, wildcat, have the off side reciever come back for a reverse. We liked to run the same play twice, once on the reverse, then the next play fake the reverse. Lastly, I would be careful of shotgun as in I9 a dropped ball is a dead ball. We don't even run shotgun for our 8-10 year old team, as I just don't have anyone reliable enough. Good luck!

I was wondering about shotgun. I was really hesitant to add it in there, but got enamoured with that diamond offense that teams are running this year.

thanks

One last thing I will add. At that age and for the 8-10 year old group I coach, our defense has benefitted greatly by teaching the kids to stay home until after the ball crosses the LOS. By practicing this, our defense has become much better to where reverses, fakes,etc don't work on us. We had a team in the fall that run double/triple reverses on us all game and our kids just sat back and waited for all the handoffs to finish before attacking. If you can teach them to stay home on D and develop good flag pulling, it will be tough for anyone to score on you as there is little downfield passing at that age.

Of course this is free advice and only worth what I charge for it :)

Good luck on the season.

A lot will depend upon the athleticism of your team. My recent experience with kids that age resulted in a pretty simple offensive scheme. Long passes rarely worked and even short passes only seemed to work with the better players. Misdirection and fakes worked best.

The link below is to a thread on coaching younger kids, I believe it also has links to other discussions on this topic.

Thread on coaching younger kids

I have stolen from many of you and have decided to use the color coded system with my 5v5 team (5-7 YO I9 rules)

each player will wear a different colored wristband to correspond to his spot on the the field. I'll show them the play in the huddle and announce (by color or letter or number) who will get the ball. By having the colors in a variety of places in my playbook, i can get every player time at every position. I can also run the same play four times in a row and get the ball to all four non-QBs.

There are 15 plays in here, I'd only expect to run 4-5 per game.

Please tell me what you think. I played football for a long time, and have coached my son in soccer and t-ball. I'm not sure yet what to expect out of flag football, especially not sure what these kids can process.

I expect that I'll need to incorporate some motion or spacing changes to get the timing right on some of these plays. The general idea is to have simplicity for my team but deception for the defense.

I like your plays, the color coding can be a bit confusing for 5 - 7 yr olds. The plays have a lot of deception which is always good to throw off the defense.

We played our first game last week. One our kids had four carries and four length of the field TDs. We ran about 6 other offensive plays - 4 XPs (converted one) and 2 others for no yards.

Its chaotic back there. I'm really going to impress on our kids and the refs that players CANNOT cross the line until the handoff occurs (except those behind the seven yard rush line)

for the most part we had fun. but its going to be a while before we can run a more complicated play (like a reverse or something)

and we have some work to do on defense - we would get there, just not get the flag pulled.

This is my opinion, please dont take it the wrong way.

After looking at your playbook it seems you have slow developing plays. Im assuming all the plays where a WR or slot runs pass the Qb its for a sweeep or fake sweep and that takes a lot of time. You have some plays where two guys cross before the qb hands off the ball. If they send blitzers they could blow it up in the backfield quick.

Your trips formation, I would spread out the routes. You have the curl play to black, but all three receivers are in one area so it would only take 1 or 2 defeders in that area. If you make one WR run a streak, another a post/flag, and the third run the curl. That should make the defense spread out which helps the passing lanes.

Finally, and this is personal preference, but I dont care for the diamond formation or any tight formation. You have all your players bunched up, why not use the entire field and spread them out? Flag football is all about speed, use the field to your advantage. Spread out the defense and let your speedsters carve their way through the defense. In your Diamond left/right, you have all your receivers in the middle of the field which helps the defense cause the area they need to cover is small and they have all their defenders there pre line up. Also, it takes long for the play to develop cause two of the receivers are running across your QB. Again, if they send the blitz theyre gonna blow it up.

I may be off the wall or wrong cause I never coached your age group. Can they blitz? Im just trying to be helpful and give my two cents on what I see.

Im also surprised you had only 10 total offensive plays, six really as four was XP's. But it goes to show that your offense relys on big plays rather than consistant ones. Yes a big play happens, but I would rather be consistant. (6-7 play drive for TD) If you meet a disciplined defense that arent gonna give up the big play your gonna have a rough time scoring.

we are now 2-0-1 and playing pretty well.

I have attached our playbook. I have adopted your comments.

The league in general relies on big plays. At this age, defensive discipline is the single biggest driver. We preach that our corners stay home and get the flag quickly.

On defense, we line up a guy at the 7-yard cone (the MONSTER). He often blitzes at the snap.

then we have two LBs and two CBs. each with instructions to stay home and wait for the ball to cross the line, then attack the ball/flags.

WCS 2010 playbook FrontBack only.ppt

do you have anymore lays that run off from the diamond formation? I kind of ran couple of plays through the diamond formation. Worked pretty well.

Its chaotic back there. I'm really going to impress on our kids and the refs that players CANNOT cross the line until the handoff occurs (except those behind the seven yard rush line)

I'm not sure what rulebook you are using but IFAF says the line may be broken on a fake handoff.