Y-coach.com - Forum
express 1

6 On 6 Youth Flag Football

I have been coaching in a 5 on 5 flag football until this season where we have signed up with a 6 on 6 league. can any one provide us with play book on offense. can you tell us what are the best defensive schemes to use. Please advise. Thanks

There is a forum on here "Youth Flag Football Plays" that has some 6v6 plays. Although I never coached 5v5, I did go from 8v8 (which I loved) down to 6v6.

I would not think there is a huge difference between 5v5 and 6v6, however advantage defense. My recommendation would be to take your 5v5 playbook--assuming you are content with it--and add an extra slot receiver.

Good luck!

We use a 3-2-1. First and foremost, we contain the sidelines and stop the run. The DE's play extremely wide and everything is forced back into the box.

I've found once we are able to stop the run, teams will panic and go to passing plays they normally don't execute in games. From there it's a 60-30-10 percentage: incompletion, INT, or completion, respectfully. As a defense, you've got to like those odds. That's our philosophy.

We typically use one safety. His only goal on the football field is to ensure no one gets behind him---no one. Our three LBs are the "playmakers". They get to be stop the run and play the pass, equally (of course these are our best athletes). Our two ends are the unsung heros, selling out to play in perfection position in order to own their end of the field.

Every now and then, we will go to a 2-2-2, or (my personal favorite) a 4-2. Our DC likes to change up formations on the fly just to keep the offensive coach on his heels.

Offenses will probably start going underneath more now than with 5v5. I know that is how I'd use the extra player. In our 3-2-1, we teach the NT how to drop back underneath, yet still watch and be ready for the draw play.

We use a 3-2-1.

As I recall, you are in a league that allows one rusher to get to the QB. Do you always rush one kid? Selectively?

We are allowed to rush up to two blizter (five yards away) every four downs. QBs cannot run in our league (unless being blitzed). Additionally, we have to announce that we are blitzing, as the rusher(s) must hold their hand up. This has to occur before the offense breaks their huddle.

As you can imagine, we rarely--if ever blitz. Two seasons ago we did not blitz once the entire season. Last season we blitzed maybe 2-3 times.

With that, the majority of teams in our league do blitz at each allowed interval. With all the pre-requisites around blitzing, I feel it puts the offense at an advantage in our league--so we welcome it.

we don't have any restriction on the blitzing front. that being said how often would you blitz playing 6 man. i was even thinking of crashing the back field to flush out the run may be with 2 or 3 guys?/ thoughts?? opinions??

With that, the majority of teams in our league do blitz at each allowed interval.

Our league (YMCA, 3rd grade boys) allows one rusher from 7 yards out. QB can't run. Defense can't enter the backfield (excepting that one rusher) until there is a ball exchange from the QB.

Most of the teams rush one kid pretty much every time.

It sounds like you pretty much stay in your 3-2-1 and focus on containing.

Correct, we pretty much stick to our positions. We can control that. If we blitz, we open ourselves up to be exposed on a big play. As mentioned, our defense is about one thing: preventing the big play. We let offenses beat themselves.

It's ironic, because I can never recall seeing a QB getting "sacked" in our league. As mentioned, QBs can ONLY run when blitzed (once the blitzer crosses the LOS), so 99% of the time teams ask their QB to just take off running--and it's good for decent gain.

When we are being blitzed, we execute one of two plays. Usually it depends on how well my son (QB) lobbys for me to allow him to run with the ball. ;-) If the play is not crucial OR I think he can get the first down, I'll let him go. However, the KILLER play for us when we are blitzed is our slot-receiver Statue of Liberty. We score probably 80% on this play in this situation.

This works well for two reasons: 1) Our slot-receiver is probably the fastest guy in our league, and 2) because a defense 'announces' it is going to blitz, most the defenders sit and watch the blitzer(s) as opposed to maintaining coverage. Before they know what is happening the blitzer is standing there holding the QB's flag in the air (with everyone watching), while the slot-receiver is on the other side of the field with the ball streaking down the sideline for a TD.

Two seasons ago (in 8-9 league) a defender actually started crying in the game because he was so embarassed. He made a big deal out of a sack he thought he had (jumping around, fist-pumping) that really ended up in a TD on our Statue of Liberty. Frankly, I thought it was funny. If it were my player, I would have told him "if you talk the talk...."

I know it's an easy way to score, but again the way our league allows blitzing, I think it is an advantage to the offense, so take full advantage of that. ;-)