Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach Chadwick

Single Wing Question - Youth Football

This fall football season I plan on running a basic single wing offense with my youth football team age 8 & 9 (3rd & 4th Graders). I have been reading a lot of books, blogs and website on this to get prepared for the season that is 6 month away… yeah I know it is early.

I want to know what is the best book or website out there for the single wing offense at the youth level?

The other question I have is how the plays are called and what the hole numbers are? With an unbalanced line the 8 hole on my traditional I-formation is now between the second tackle and my end… do I just have a 10 hole now on the outside for sweeps? In the I-Formation we had a 36 Blast where the 3 was the 3 back (TB) and the 6 was the hole. I am guessing I can still label my plays this way or is there a better way? Let me know…

Thanks,

Coach Chadwick

Coach Chadwick,

We are going to run the single winge this year and I have found the winning youth football website and dvd's to be very beneficial to building our team. Dave Cisar covers everything from implementing the offense, player personel to offensive line play and defense in his program.

The blog is really informative but I would recommend the complete package if you are just starting to implement.

Winningyouthfootball.com

Charlie

Can you explain what the right kids would be for the single wing offense?

I know half of my talent from last years team but don't know the new kids I will get?

I have to disagree with rushbuster a little here. I think that for your age group this is a perfect offense. Unless you happen to have a highly skilled quarterback, a big offensive line and a couple of lightening fast receivers you aren't going to find an offense much better than the single wing. This offense is geared towards the run and you will find success with undersized and underskilled players.

Do a search on youtube for youth single wing and check out some of the teams and I think you will agree.

Coach Dave Cisar has the best info out there for youth coaches. He has been on my show a few times. If you look on this link you can listen to an interview of him with a local club that went to his system and won the championships on 3 weight classes after only running his system that season. Plus he respond to emails and in some cases will reach out to you and call.

http://www.coachbigb.com/2010/07/red-zone-show-greatest-hits.html

(Check for Cisar interview)

http://www.coachbigb.com/2010/09/coach-dave-cisar-and-coach-glenn-mcnew.html

(He did a double header that week with Coach Glen Mcnew)

http://www.coachbigb.com/2010/11/next-up-this-week-on-red-zone-showcoach.html

(This one is of Coach Darlington who is a HS coach that went to his system and his team was seen on ESPN.)