Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Your Best Passing Play?

One of the things I love most about coaching is play creation. However, I am always looking for ways to improve our scheme.

Simple question for you coaches: what is your best passing play? I'm not looking so much for home-run plays, but instead your most high-percentage passing play. I want to add about five more passing plays to our playbook and have no problem seeing yours to help generate ideas, or flat out implement that play.

Thanks!

Our's is Orange Crush/Orange Juice which is attached in my playbook. We run this several times a game, sometimes handing off to the slot guy on a reverse to keep them honest. Usually the center is open on this, but I tell my QB to read the defense and its an easy throw to the slot guy curling over the middle after faking the handoff to him if the middle defender covers the center. We also see if the cornerback comes up to cover the center then the outside WR is sitting 5 yards deep wide open. We don't ahve great QB's this season but that is still our best play by far. I think the rolling out of the QB makes our guys feel like they have a few extra seconds on the rusher and they don't panic as much as ususal.

Winter playbook 2.pdf

Definitely the halfback swing pass. QB has to look off downfield and even fake pump then hit the swinging HB near the sideline/ los on the run. We certainly practiced it a lot. I mean a lot so that our timing was near perfect. When that play was run correctly it was very effective.

Thanks for the responses!

Patandsu: Ironically, "Orange Crush" is very simliar to our "Bootleg" play (which our most efficient passing play). I love rolling out our QB. I am confused a little about your play--does the QB hand-off to your RB and the RB throws the ball across the field?

Orange: I like the idea of a half-back swing pass, but that's a dangerous pass right there. What did you do to get your HB open? What formation? How far downfield is the RB when your QB hits him?

George: I like the flood passes. We run a Center flood that works well. The C-Drag used to be very effective for us, but for some reason the past three seasons it's not worked well. I can't put my finger on why that is. We use the Center heavily in our offense, and I've noticed some teams will put a spy on him around half-time, so maybe I'm just calling it at the wrong time.

Johnp2- We use the RB as a first option for either a handoff the other way or a fake, wither way the QB rolls out and completes the play by throwing a real or imaginary pass. We generally fake it the first 2 times to the RB, then on the third one, hand it to him catching the defense flowing with the QB.

Johnp2- We use the RB as a first option for either a handoff the other way or a fake, wither way the QB rolls out and completes the play by throwing a real or imaginary pass. We generally fake it the first 2 times to the RB, then on the third one, hand it to him catching the defense flowing with the QB.

Got it! I think that is a great approach, as setting up plays is what it's all about. This has given me a great idea on how to utilize this play (and variants of it). If you--or anyone--wants the gory details of my idea, let me know.

I have a pretty salty reputation for beginning our games forcing our opponents to believe our team does not know what we are doing, which carries through our first few plays. We then go for the throat and don't let up (until we have the game won).

I'll never stop loving the look of utter-shock on the opposing players/coaches/parents when we start over-powering them with our smart football. The problem is, everyone we've faced knows this about us now. It's good because I've always mandated our opponents "remember who they played", but it's becoming hard to sneak up on teams (as we made a huge statement in our first season of 10-12). I'll specifically target any new coaches and take advantage of that this season (hoping they have not been warned).

Every coach in our league knows my philosophy. They better not get caught flat-footed. Anything is fair game with my offense, and I want them to think they know how to stop us.

Thanks again for your response--it's really helped me!

Love this!

For big yardage: Run right, run right again, then fake hand off right roll out bomb left to a kid running a 30 yard fly! Gets them everytime. If they start to expect my play action fakes, I hand off and have the RB bomb it down the right side.

Spread formation with two stacked to the right. QB takes the snap, pump fakes a pass to the stacked WR and then bombs it to the center on a fly down the middle. Especially if the saftey is blitzing.

Short yardage: All curls and you can usually hit the center on a quick curl. Just read the defense and hit the WR that will hit the hole. Cake.

Trips Right Rollout Pass - Basically a flood of the right zone.

1st Slot 3 Yard Out Pattern.

2nd Slot Fly Pattern getting behind the deepest defender. Telling the receiver you can always come back to the ball, get deep.

3rd Slot Slant Pattern back to the middle. (Usually just a decoy to help clear the zone and create confusion).

QB rolls hard to the right, 1st option is the 3 Yard Out, 2nd is the Deep Fly 12-15 Yards. Always reminding the QB to set their feet and point the front shoulder at the target. If both are covered just throw it away Out of Bounds.

Good success on both the 3 Yard Out and the long pass.

We then run an End Around to the inside slot if the Defense starts to adjust.