Y-coach.com - Forum
GeorgeC

Effects Of Changing From Man To 3-2-1 Zone Defense

3rd grade boys, 6 v 6.

Last season, our defensive coach ran a man-to-man defense. This season, we have a new team, but about 5 returning from the old team. The defensive coach is unable to participate, so I scoured this board looking for zone defense ideas. I chose the 3-2-1 as it seemed to fit the skills of the boys, as well as seemed to be easy to explain. We had about 4 practices, but focused on defense for 1 of the practices, and run a gauntlet drill at 2 of them.

Last season, we had 0 picks and finished the season 0-6. Yesterday, we began the new season (admittedly against a first time team) with our new defense. We won 35-18 with 4 interceptions, one of them resulting in a TD. One of the interceptions, oddly enough, was on a PAT by the other team. Our kid took it the length of the field and the refs gave us one point.

We are allowed to rush one rusher from a marker 10 yards out. I would occasionally move my NT back from over center and have him blitz. That was reasonably effective in order to give different looks, especially on obvious passing downs.

I made one crucial, dumb defensive coaching mistake. One time, I sent in my very fast safety to blitz. I held back the LBs to cover. The QB threw a perfect pass over everyone to a kid who got behind the defense with no safety to cover. Kid caught the ball and took it home.

The biggest problem so far is getting the ends (the outside guys on the line) to force any runners to turn inside. They get sucked in, or they allow the kid to get outside of them.

The other problem to deal with are parents on the sidelines: "Joey, move up, move up", when I want them to cover their zone.

All in all, though, a pretty good start. Our next game though is against a team that has been together since Kindergarten.

• Like 1

George,

My defenses are drilled to death on turning the runner inside. We practice with half a field, so half a defense, and run from the middle to the edge trying to get to the corner. It helps not only the cornerbacks learning to turn runners inside, but our offense gets practice in getting to the sideline. The hardest part of this drill is working with the middle linebacker as they know the play is going to one corner. We work on bracketing the runner so he has to try and split the defense. That drill has really paid off for us.

3rd grade boys, 6 v 6.

The other problem to deal with are parents on the sidelines: "Joey, move up, move up", when I want them to cover their zone.

Classic. Almost as bad as baseball parents yelling at their kids to keep their elbow up while hitting.

I've had this happen a few times. We run a 3-2-1, and I line my ends up near the sideline. While I admit it looks very odd, it works (for my team). Our first game seasons ago when I implemented this style, on our very first defensive series I remember a dad yelling at my players "What are you guys doing? Move in! Move in!" I calmly (but sternly) said, "Just stay where you are." Of course there was some akward silence after that, but we only gave up one or two TDs that season. ;-)

As Patansdu alluded, it's all about keeping the runner in the box. Anyone who has been around football for this age knows that 90% of TDs/long plays are players getting to the outside and streaking down the sideline. We take that away at all costs.

I've had this happen a few times. We run a 3-2-1, and I line my ends up near the sideline.

Yup, we lost one touchdown when they got around our end who got sucked in. As I watched the play unfold, I suddenly saw my end in the backfield going after the QB.

I think a couple of Dads don't particularly like the responsibility dealt to the two LBs. If it is a RB dive, then for the most part, it is their responsibility. If the defensive end does turn the runner in to the box, then the LB is again responsible. And if it is a pass, then more than likely, it's in their neighborhood.

At the next practice, I'm going to reinforce .... listen to me. You had 4 interceptions. None last season. It's working..... And then pray that when we go up against a very good team, that it does work.

I think a couple of Dads don't particularly like the responsibility dealt to the two LBs.

I wouldn't worry about the other dads. None of us claim to be football savants, but we are doing one thing they are not--and that is out there actually trying. Not that I dismiss advice from dads. I know many of the my players' fathers very well, and quite often I will ask them their thoughts. After last season, one dad noted we should try to run the ball up the middle a little more---it simply affirmed what I was thinking, so I'm thankful for his feedback. One advantage to having the same players for years---the parents know your exact philosophy, and they trust/respect it--else they would probably not request to come back each season. They also know that I will always allow the best idea to win.

****BORING STORY ALERT******

Last season we were overwhelmed from an athleticism stand-point. Our "2nd string" QB is a very smart player, and his arm-strength is average for a nine year old. We played one game against a team that had ALL 12 year olds (per their coach). When our second QB was in, I limited his passes as this defense could break on any ball that was not on a rope and out-leap our receivers to get it. This player kept telling me he wanted to throw. Although our opponent was the best in our division (eventual champs) we were tied in 6-6 late in the 3rd quarter. This player kept telling me he wanted to throw--and I gave in (for his own good). To this day, I firmly believe we could have defeated that team had not gone that route--but my mantra has ALWAYS been to coach my players as I would want my own son to be coached.

First pass: pick six. He was a little rattled.

Second pass: pick six. He was silent.

Third pass: pick (almost six). He turned, looked to the sky with tears and said "How can this be happening" and then he asked to come out. I dismissed that notion pretty quickly. In fact, I rode him pretty hard. NOT for the INT, but because he did not get after the defender who made the INT.

After the game, I explained to his dad (whom I know well) why things happened. I was not hanging him out to dry, but he wanted to test his skills as a QB against a stellar defense, and I let him.

That evening his dad sent me and email informing me that I will NEVER have to "justify" my actions to him, and that what I did for his son was not only a great "sports" lesson, but a great lesson in life (as this kid---who is AWESOME--is a bit of a head-hanger when he makes a mistake). It provided a forum for him to talk about such lessons.

The next game he came out swinging and threw a TD and an X-point. A few games later, he threw another INT, but this time he immediately went after the defender without hesitation and got his flag, and his body language showed he was ready to get out there and go again. I remember putting my arm around him after that and saying "now you are a QB."

I've had this happen a few times. We run a 3-2-1, and I line my ends up near the sideline. While I admit it looks very odd, it works (for my team). Our first game seasons ago when I implemented this style, on our very first defensive series I remember a dad yelling at my players "What are you guys doing? Move in! Move in!" I calmly (but sternly) said, "Just stay where you are." Of course there was some awkward silence after that, but we only gave up one or two TDs that season. ;-)

In our game last night, there was a Dad telling his son to move up. I didn't see it, but my wife tells me that the 9-year old boy calmly, but sternly, told his Dad: "this is where I'm supposed to be".

And that is why I love coaching these kids!

We played our second game of the season with our new-look 3-2-1 zone defense. The team we played against has been together since Kindergarten. We lost the game, 19-12, but overall, I was pleased with the results of the defense. Their QB had a great arm, so we really had to play soft quite a bit. We gave up several 3-5 yard runs, but limited their number of big plays. We missed two touchdowns on basic flag-pulling. I just can't seem to get the boys to get in front of the ball-carrier and "take the charge". We'll be running a gauntlet drill next practice.

We had no picks this week vs. 4 the week before. One of the LBs had a pick in his hands, but couldn't pull it in. So close!

Our defense smothered their players enough that their QB once had to throw the ball away. Unfortunately, there is not an "intentional grounding" rule.

The biggest hole showed up where their QB hit a receiver running a slant to the sideline, behind the defensive end, but outside of the linebacker. The receiver caught the pass and was off to the races. The safety couldn't quite catch him.

DE-----NT-----DE

--LB------LB----r

-------S-----------

In the diagram above, their receiver ( r ) was well-positioned in a hole to avoid pressure. Any suggestions on how to best cover this hole??

Thanks!

DE-----NT-----DE

--LB------LB----r

-------S-----------

In the diagram above, their receiver ( r ) was well-positioned in a hole to avoid pressure. Any suggestions on how to best cover this hole??

Thanks!

I think much of my response depends on how far downfield the receiver was. Was the receiver in front or behind your LB (or parallel per your diagram?) Depending on the down and distance, our LBs play anywhere from 7-10 yards off the LOS.

At what point do your DEs become CBs? We coach our DEs and NT to read the pass/run and adjust accordingly. The read is simple: If the backfield is empty, drop back into coverage. The DEs cover the flats with the NT dropping back about 10 yards. It's very important we keep everything in front of us. In this instance, I would place responsibility on the DE (now a CB) to attack the pass assuming it was within 10 yards (part of his pass protection zone).

If it was a deep slant (10+ yards), I would require the LB to attack it.

Finally, at this age, while there are a few QBs that can fling the ball, there are not a lot of players that can catch the deep ball consistently. Because of this, most QBs will often hone in on the best receiver (and coaches will design and call plays for that receiver over and over again). If a team starts moving the ball on us by playing throw and catch to their best receiver, I'll put a player on that receiver. I can only recall two times I've done this, but it worked. Of course the teams were not deep, so we simply said "we're going to take away your best player and then make you beat us with the rest of your team".

I think much of my response depends on how far downfield the receiver was. Was the receiver in front or behind your LB (or parallel per your diagram?) Depending on the down and distance, our LBs play anywhere from 7-10 yards off the LOS.

At what point do your DEs become CBs? We coach our DEs and NT to read the pass/run and adjust accordingly. The read is simple: If the backfield is empty, drop back into coverage. The DEs cover the flats with the NT dropping back about 10 yards. It's very important we keep everything in front of us. In this instance, I would place responsibility on the DE (now a CB) to attack the pass assuming it was within 10 yards (part of his pass protection zone).

If it was a deep slant (10+ yards), I would require the LB to attack it.

We were playing pretty soft with the LBs playing 8-10 yards off. The receiver ( r ) was just parallel with the LBs, perhaps a yard or two deeper. I think we probably need to work with the NT to drop him back a bit and take some of the burden off of the LBs. Right now, he moves back and forth to ensure that there is no quick-dive, up-the-gut run. Plus I need to get the LBs and S to read the QB a bit better.

Four games into the season and I think our kids are getting it. In the four games, we've got 4, 0, 1, and 2 interceptions. We're now working on reading the QB eyes so that they can break on the pass. After enough interceptions, they believe in it now. As for other Dads in their sideline coaching, I enlisted their help by putting the players who were more tempted to break from their zone on the side with the Dads. Those players are lined up so close to the sideline that they get their Dads in their ear ... "hold your zone, hold it.... now. go get him". The Dads have bought in. Now, though, they do still try to get me to switch to a 1-2-3 or a 2-3-1. And they try to get me to rush more often (we can rush one kid from 10 yards out). Occasionally, when I think it is safe enough, we'll rush the blitzer, just to keep the offense honest.

Two weeks ago, though, we had a miserable game. Lost something like 35-0. The boys just couldn't wake up (standing like petrified tree stumps), the other team had a really funky offense, and we were just plain outcoached. They kept running beautiful crossing patterns with solid passing and hitting the receivers right in our crease. Combined with our tree-stumps, they had a field day.

A few days ago was much better, winning 38-6. Flag pulling is much better. I'm not sure that they had even one completed pass (well, except to us). Our offense improved a bit, but defense won the game.

Going to try to work on QB-eye-reading. I also want to work on swapping the two LBs back and forth to keep them a little bit awake.

A little update: Our 3-2-1 is performing reasonably well. We still have a problem sometimes when the kids get sucked out of their zones. Halfback option passes and reverses are most difficult. Still working on getting the kids to read QB eyes, very important in this defense. Safety must be your fastest kid; someone able to run almost sideline to sideline in the time that the ball is in the air.

Couple more games left in the season.

Last update. We finished the season with a win last night. 4 interceptions in the game. Last season (with about half of the same players), we had zero interceptions, but 12 interceptions this seasons. The 3-2-1 turned out to be relatively easy to sub players into. Many of the kids wanted to play LB, with the perception that that is where the most interceptions will come from. The hardest problem was keeping the corners from chasing the ball and leaving their zone open. We did OK, but still lost too many touchdowns to kids getting either around the corner, or through the corner/LB gap. We rarely pulled a flag in the backfield, but if the NT got to the ball carrier, it would just be a 2-3 yard gain. That's OK most of the time, but ineffective if the offense needs a few inches to a couple of yards for a first down. We could never shut that down.

We found that we should never rush the safety (we are allowed one rusher from 10-yards out) as that left a big gap over the top. Even a lob pass would be effective. However, occasional rushing from the weakside LB could be effective if the safety knew he had to help out on that side. We didn't do it much.

We did find that a very accurate, strong QB could pick us apart. If there is no rush, then the QB has 7-seconds to get the play off. That's plenty of time for a smart kid who has receivers moving around to find at least one open receiver. Against two teams that have been together since Mommy & Me playgroup, with terrific QBs, we had very, very long days.

All in all, a pretty good start. Need to work on reading QB eyes and reading the formation. Gotta get some quick-step into the kids as they are often flat-footed when the play begins. It wasn't a winning season by the win-loss column, but the kids had a good time and we learned new formations to build off of. Next season won't happen until Spring.