Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Best Play To Beat The Blitz?

Our league allows up to two blitzers, seven yards back, every four downs. The defense must announce when they blitz, and who the rushers are.

This is the ONLY time the QB is allowed to run. 90% of the time, teams just have their QB take off running. This is always good for 5-7 yards, which is why we very rarely blitz.

I'm curious however, what your best play is for facing it. We currently have three ways:

--In anything shorter than five yards, I just have my QB make the run.

--My go-to play when we need a home-run? The players execute our Statue of Liberty-- giving it to our fastest player. We execute it from the Spread formation--the RB is about five yards to the QB's left. The key is for the RB to run against the blitzers. Quite often our QB will move in the pocket to change the angle of the blitzers so the RB is from the opposite direction. It's DEADLY. It typically ends up with one of the blitzers holding up the QB's flag while our RB is streaking down the field.

--Our third option is to pass to our slot. I run it from the Spread and call out to our slot reciever what his hot route is (Medium Out, Slant, Skinny Post, etc.). More often then not it's a quick inside Slant 5-7 yards in front of the Center (whom I ask to get in the blitzer's way).

I would love to hear what your best plays are with two blitzers. I know most of you coaches are in leagues with full-on rushing, so would really like to tap into your wisdom. While what we have works fine, I still love to hear new ways people combat this as to simply add to our arsenal.

Thanks!

They moved our rush line back to 10 yards out this year (2011). Probably a good thing because if you get a few fast kids, they can get in the backfield quickly.

Hard question to answer for me since the rush comes 90% of the time in our league. I'm assuming you don't know if the other team is rushing until you come up to the los? If that's the case, I'd have some preplanned plays that everyone knows and call out an audible.

We're in a 7-9 y/o league, 1 rusher unlimited times from 7 yards out. I don't really have a favorite play again the blitz, but when we run our plays in practice (non-scrimmage) we always have one kid rushing from 7 yards away. So our QB's are better prepared for game situation. We stress on avoiding the blitz, set your feet, then fire away. If there's no blitz, great, take your time to set your feet and throw to the target. During the game, I just have to remind our QB's to look for the blitz and they know what to do. A lot of times, once our QB goes into a "premeditated" scramble, the D gets out of formation and our QB's can find the open receiver. It's worked well for us so far.

I think most 5 on 5 leagues allow a rusher on every play and that seems to be the norm. One thing I have found is that there is usually a gap or void in the defense in the path of the rusher. A good play is to slide a receiver behind the rusher either as a curl or a dragging across the space. Let the rusher come and then pop the pass behind him as he goes on by. Send your other receivers long and wide to create more space in the middle.

Think of it this way. If you draw the defense and you have the two safeties blitz, where are the holes? I dont know what age group you are in, but I coach a 7/8 year old team. Honestly, I score more when they blitz me because I exploit the hole that is left.

We play 5v5 and 6v6 and when they blitz, it is usually just the safety blitzing 7 yards out. At this age, they are smart enough to fill the holes left by the safeties and we hit the center on a fly down the field about 15-20 yards. My son (who is QB) will quickly pump fake the outside WR and then turn and quickly throw over the linebackers and the rusher to a wide open center. We work on this pump fake and have done it enough that we usually score on it. Check out my game videos on here and you will see that we hit this play a lot and how we pump fake them. You need a good QB though.

I have had one team adjust fairly well to me doing this. They would have the linebacker drop and fill the safety spot. Well, I would line WRs up in front of those linebackers so they had to guard them and it left the middle safety spot wide open.

If the middle linebacker is dropping with my center on the fly, the corners are guarding my WRs on the outsides and they have a rusher, then they have a linebacker playing either the right or left side where I have my slot. It will leave a hole on the side of my single WR and typically I hit them on quick slants as they cut in front of the corner. Huge hole there.

Think about where the holes are after they blitz and exploit them.

Thanks for the great advice, coaches! It's got me thinking. Aside from the three options we execute (I listed at the top of this topic), I want to focus much more on my son's footwork at the QB position. He's 10 now, and is able to grasp the subtleties I expect: 3-5-7 drops, breaking fast out of his fakes, quick plants for when he finds his hots, etc.

I don't want the fact he is rarely rushed to hurt him later, so I appreciate your thoughts on how to pro-actively work on that. Thus fine-tuning his footwork (whether blitzed or not) will certainly help his QB skills, as we know that is incredibly important as the QB progresses throughout his "career". ;-)

That's a good point. We are rushed every play so our QB's just deal with it (they have to). If it were infrequent, then I could see it becoming more disruptive.

I want to focus much more on my son's footwork at the QB position. Thus fine-tuning his footwork (whether blitzed or not) will certainly help his QB skills, as we know that is incredibly important as the QB progresses throughout his "career". ;-)

Just have him do this 4 times every week.

I want to focus much more on my son's footwork at the QB position. Thus fine-tuning his footwork (whether blitzed or not) will certainly help his QB skills, as we know that is incredibly important as the QB progresses throughout his "career". ;-)

Just have him do this 4 times every week.

Yea! He can be the next Todd Marinovich. ;-) That kid was pretty good though.

Yea! He can be the next Todd Marinovich. ;-) That kid was pretty good though.

I'm detecting some trash-talking. Still would love to see some Coach Johnp2 vs. Coach Rob! :)

Now, about the blitz .... We're allowed one rusher from 10 yds out (used to be 8). The ref places a small cone. We do not have to designate the rusher nor tell whether or not we are rushing.

In practice, but not in a game, I've rushed two LBs -and- the safety. Only one of them is the real rusher, the other two are fakes. The "fakers" should pull up and backpedal at the last minute. The idea is to scare the QB into putting up a quick, lob pass that we can then get under and pick. It worked in practice, but my kids are not quite so disciplined so I was afraid to implement in a real game.

I'm detecting some trash-talking. Still would love to see some Coach Johnp2 vs. Coach Rob! :)

No question--coach Rob's team would kill us. ;-) That kid was pretty ridiculous. As much as I want my son to be a great QB, I don't see me ever investing that much time/money into a 10 year old QB. I have no illusions of my son playing big time football. If it happens, great. If not, at least he'll understand the game and we can intelligently discuss while we sit in front of the TV on autumn Saturday and Sundays. ;-)

No question--coach Rob's team would kill us. ;-) That kid was pretty ridiculous. As much as I want my son to be a great QB, I don't see me ever investing that much time/money into a 10 year old QB. I have no illusions of my son playing big time football. If it happens, great. If not, at least he'll understand the game and we can intelligently discuss while we sit in front of the TV on autumn Saturday and Sundays. ;-)

I don't think that's Coach Robs QB, just something he saw on Youtube. But he does have a very good QB, a girl I recall who could run and pass with the best of them.

Actually, I was thinking how cool it would be, not to play each others teams, but to get our best players together for a kind of all-star team. I know it's crazy but I was thinking that AAU game I posted about earlier would be where we could play. Just a passing thought.

Actually, I was thinking how cool it would be, not to play each others teams, but to get our best players together for a kind of all-star team. I know it's crazy but I was thinking that AAU game I posted about earlier would be where we could play. Just a passing thought.

Heh-heh. I still say that you as DC, me as OC, and Rob as Head Coach would field an incredibly strong team no matter who the players were. That's what I would like to see--joining forces with other coaches who have been around the block a few times.

• Like 1

You've got me pegged. I love, love, love to coach the defense. Coaching offense stresses me out too much. I usually end up doing it out of necessity but if I had a good OC, I'd never leave the defensive side of the ball.