Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Help With New Play

I introduced a new play that I think will work okay. We've executed it twice and it's work well, but it has to be perfect.

I know I've stated I will never run shotgun, but my players started doing this one day in practice, and they have the snap down extremely well.

1. QB is in shotgun formation.

2. RB split out to the left.

3. On "Down", RB goes in motion in front of QB.

4. Once C sees RB, he snaps the ball and RB catches it in motion.

5. QB jumps up like he missed the ball and turns around to chase the "fake ball".

6. RB (who is now the QB and cannot run) rolls right and throws a deep bomb to a wide-out, running a Go route. The RB can throw almost as far as I can, so it's a perfect play for him. Plus the defense cannot cross the LOS so he has time to throw.

I need some ideas on how to get the wide-out isolated. The wide-out is actually split out to the right, and I'm thinking as the RB rolls to his right the Safety is rolling with him.

The slot receiver runs an inside slant, and the left receiver runs a short in. I'm thinking to ask the left receiver run a delay go route. He can delay enough so that the CB on his side lets up to look and see what is happening on the other side, and then he takes off--giving the RB two options. Of course throwing across the field can be difficult and dangerous, but it does give a second deep option. I've attached an example of it...would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Thoughts?

post-10378-0-63695500-1305843303_thumb.j

This definitely could work. I also think if you can make it look like the QB is handing the ball off to the RB it might deceive the defense. All you really need is for the outside receiver to get a couple of steps. The QB is the safety valve and actually a good option would be a throwback to him.

Going further with my thought, you could shotgun snap to the QB and have him hand off to the RB earlier, setting up the direct snap to the RB.

As regards the safety, all you need to do is get him to hesitate and the receiver should blow by him. If he stays disciplined and goes long with the receiver you're going to need another option. I'd slide the center on a short drag or even have the slot receiver cut back towards the sidelines, kind of like a shake move, but short. The corner should be sufficiently overwhelmed. Plus you have the throwback to the QB if needed.

I would drag the center along with the flow and have him as your safety valve on a short pass. We run a similar play where we motion the left WR across and have the QB handoff to him on the run, he then has the option of running or throwing a deep pass to the outisde WR on a fly. The WR with the ball just has to make a quick read to see if the deep WR is open, if not tuck it and hit the corner.

John,

I like this play. I love fake outs and trick plays as you know.

I think it could work fine as it is, but if you want to make it a bit more tricky, how about this:

Line up 2 WR's on either side of the center, with the RB out wide left and one WR out WR right.

When the RB comes in motion and grabs the snap, have the QB jump as you mentioned and yell something (like Oh no!) and then he immediately turns around and chases the fake ball.

The 3 guys on the line (C and 2 WR's) immediately stand up at the snap and turn around toward the scrambling QB to further sell the fake.

I think this could add some cloaking to the RB snap, as well as further confuse the defense.

It's a little bit on the wildcat side. You could set it up beforehand with a similar shotgun snap to the QB, who rolls left and attempts to hit the streaking LR. Then, on this one, he rolls again while the RB takes off.

You can forewarn the refs so that the other team gets the penalty if they rush too many people across the LOS, thinking that you handed off to the RB.

Another possibility is to have the QB delay and run parallel and behind to your RB. Your RB then has the option of passing to the right WR or option it back to the QB. This has the effect of further drawing in the defense. The QB, now an option running back, turns and burns up the sideline.

Funny, we were practicing a new shotgun play last night and some ideas on our play could be implemented on yours. I have attached the play in .jpg format, but basically we have a double shotgun where both QBs line up shoulder to shoulder. Center snaps to one and quickly hands of to the other. From that point, you have several options. The first if the option pitch (as long as it is before the LOS), bomb to the outside WR if the corners bite on the run/option or hit the center on a out or fly as a pass, or have the QB keep it (since he is really the RB). Our league the QB cant run until handoff and there are no pitches downfield.

With some practice, imagine what the option would be like in a quick snap formation like that and a pass threat on the slants and flys.

Also, we use to run this in our adult leagues. We would huddle in tight formation, and the RB would start running from far out left as the QB started calling out audible routes and moving around. The RB is just jogging kind of confused but still moving and in the midst of all the drama, the C snaps the ball and everyone floods right. Now, in the adult leagues, the RB can run the ball so his options would be typically a easy run in to the endzone or a easy lob pass to the flooding WRs. Perfect extra point play or short yardage play. It was funny as the defense was amazed and confused about what was happening.

You could have the coach start calling out audibles and the QB turn around and start talking the the coach or run to the side line to see what is going on. Funny!

post-23145-0-19826400-1305921960_thumb.j