Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
plmqwk

2Nd Yr Coach

This will be my 2nd yr of coaching flag football 5 on 5. Im looking for a couple insights on some issues.

First of all, I am firm in my belief of having each player play each position for some amount of time, question regarding QB, when do i pull him/her if they aren't doing so well. Nobody likes to lose but I dont want to beat up ones confidence by yanking them after a couple intercepts or fumbles.

Second, I used a zone defense last year with good success early but for some reason late in the season the wide runs to the outside beat us often. Was this just my players ability and out of position or is there something I can stress during practice more other than staying in their position?

I had little success with running the ball with 5 on 5 last year. rushers must be 7 yds back. This really hurt us if the QB talent wasnt there. I would try to offset a not so talented arm with one that did each game. (I would switch player positions at halftime).

I am sure there is more but Im drawing a blank for now. Just starting to prepare for start in a couple weeks.

Thanks in advance!

How old are the kids? How many on the team? How many games?

I agree that every kid should be given the chance at each position, especially QB. Some kids might even SAY they don't want to, but all they really want is for someone to give them a shot and put them out there. What the heck, this might be the only time in their lives that someone gives them a chance to be QB on a real team, and too many bonehead coaches are actually too worried about having the best record to consider letting little Johnny have his shot.

question regarding QB, when do i pull him/her if they aren't doing so well. but I dont want to beat up ones confidence by yanking them after a couple intercepts or fumbles
it's all about timing, wouldn't pull them right after an intercept or botched handoff. maybe run a simple play or two to get their confidence back up or call a time out and do a little pep talk.
Second, I used a zone defense last year with good success early but for some reason late in the season the wide runs to the outside beat us often. Was this just my players ability and out of position or is there something I can stress during practice more other than staying in their position?
"no one gets outside of you" - that should be your mantra on defense this year. during a scrimmage, run plays and have your offense try to run to the outside. catch the defense doing it the way you want and make a big deal out of it when they do. i usually pick a few things on defense and a few on offense that the kids know are BIG deals to me. not letting someone go to the outside is one of them. remind them when the offense comes up to the line, shout it out.
I had little success with running the ball with 5 on 5 last year. rushers must be 7 yds back. This really hurt us if the QB talent wasnt there. I would try to offset a not so talented arm with one that did each game. (I would switch player positions at halftime).
maybe some play action to set up a run? misdirection? have someone standing right by the QB for a handoff, that person can fake an end around and go up sideline or act like they are going to pass and run. trips way off to one side and try a run to the opposite side?

why weren't the runs successful in your opinion?

-rusher in backfield too quickly (play took to long to execute)?

-rb looking down to see if flag pulled?

-rb trying to juke instead of running full blast straight ahead?

I disagree that every player should have the chance to play QB. Not saying that allowing each player to do it is wrong, just noting that disallowing it is not wrong either (if that makes sense). I've had the same two QBs for years and have never had to yank one for poor play, but have scaled back their assignments in games where one of them is not playing well.

Regarding the zone, Rob is 100% correct. I'll let teams run up the middle all day, but never ever allow players to go to the outside. I go as far as lining my "Ends/CBs" a few feet from the out of bounds line to force runners in the box. The key with this approach is you have to teach them how to read run vs pass. The rule of thumb for us is once the backfield empties, we drop into pass coverage, else we focus on the run.

It's funny as if I were to face my defense, I would counter it by leaving RB in the back field and throw slants underneath all day. Ironically, no coach has ever picked up on this key we use.

Keep using the zone. You just have to drive home 'keeping runners in the box' and they will eventually get it. Good luck this season. The biggest jumps I've seen from teams is going from their first to second season together.

I disagree that every player should have the chance to play QB. Not saying that allowing each player to do it is wrong, just noting that disallowing it is not wrong either (if that makes sense).
I've been down the "every kid playing QB road" and it's rough, especially at the younger ages. After experimenting with that for a few games in 2nd grade, Orange set me straight and I never looked back. I usually have 2-3 kids who "get it" on the QB position. It's not about winning for me, it's about not cheating the other 9 kids out of quality ball touches. I watched teams rotate QBs and fumble, botch the snap, bad exchanges, and in a matter of minutes they were back on defense. Big bummer for the rest of the kids who just wanted to run with the ball. In our league, they keep the clock running and we only have 20 minute halves, so capitalizing on opportunities for ball touches is a priority.

The best way for someone to learn the QB position is definitely by playing QB in a game, under pressure. However, not at the expense of cheating the other players out of ball touches and chances to score. I got around this by allowing everyone to play QB in practice with this set-up 3 on 3 drill. Kids love it, moves fast, and everyone gets to play QB. This was a good way to get them experience at playing QB in a fast paced environment.

I would always give every kid a chance to play QB in a game during the season though. We'd track it to make sure no one was left out and went with the flow if things were going well (not a lot of fumbles, botched snaps, etc.). Seemed to work well and we ended up getting tons of successful runs/catches for the kids.

This will be my 2nd yr of coaching flag football 5 on 5. Im looking for a couple insights on some issues.

First of all, I am firm in my belief of having each player play each position for some amount of time, question regarding QB, when do i pull him/her if they aren't doing so well. Nobody likes to lose but I dont want to beat up ones confidence by yanking them after a couple intercepts or fumbles.

This is one of those things that you just have to get a feel for. I would determine in practice who your QBs are going to be and then during the game you're going to have to use your judgement. If QBA is struggling, then make a switch. The preferred way is to make a change at a new possession. That's most natural and doesn't look like you're pulling someone. The only time I'd pull someone in the middle of a possession is if they are totally rattled, and don't look ready to play. I've had QBs throw a pick or make a bad decision, get sacked, whatever and you can visibly see they are out of it.

Which zone? A 2-1-2 should be able to stop outside runs. If you are getting beat outside in a 2-1-2 you have containment issues.

I disagree that every player should have the chance to play QB. Not saying that allowing each player to do it is wrong, just noting that disallowing it is not wrong either (if that makes sense).
I've been down the "every kid playing QB road" and it's rough, especially at the younger ages. After experimenting with that for a few games in 2nd grade, Orange set me straight and I never looked back. I usually have 2-3 kids who "get it" on the QB position. It's not about winning for me, it's about not cheating the other 9 kids out of quality ball touches. I watched teams rotate QBs and fumble, botch the snap, bad exchanges, and in a matter of minutes they were back on defense. Big bummer for the rest of the kids who just wanted to run with the ball. In our league, they keep the clock running and we only have 20 minute halves, so capitalizing on opportunities for ball touches is a priority.

The best way for someone to learn the QB position is definitely by playing QB in a game, under pressure. However, not at the expense of cheating the other players out of ball touches and chances to score. I got around this by allowing everyone to play QB in practice with this set-up 3 on 3 drill. Kids love it, moves fast, and everyone gets to play QB. This was a good way to get them experience at playing QB in a fast paced environment.

I would always give every kid a chance to play QB in a game during the season though. We'd track it to make sure no one was left out and went with the flow if things were going well (not a lot of fumbles, botched snaps, etc.). Seemed to work well and we ended up getting tons of successful runs/catches for the kids.

Thanks for all the input guys. I just found out I will not have all the same kids as last year, bummer, but we will have an additional week to practice before we start playing games. This should help tremendously with the teaching aspect of things before the fast paced caos of gametime.

I kinda did the 2-3 QB thing. Most of my kid's just wanted to win the game(6-8 y/o's) even thou I told them it's about having fun and learning lol. I always tried to get everyone a turn with ball handling thou. It was hard to keep up at times cause I'd have a game plan for 9 kid's and only 7 would show up to a game. I wish they would let us have 10 kid's per team so I could break them into two teams. Would be easier to let 5 play offense 1st half then switch to defense 2nd half giving everyone a turn at both sides.