Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Rob

You're The What?!?

I used the sweet sixteen method of picking a team name last night, think John came up with that idea. Kids love it, parents get a kick out of it, and the coaches cringe when the team picks a name. I showed up to practice with 16 names and paired them off in brackets. Kids vote advancing teams to the next bracket. Fun process.

Here were the top 10 names:

Epic Sauce, Angry Birds, Black Vortex, Nacho Cheese, Old Ladies, Screaming Eagles, Space Hogs, Leggo My Flag Yo, Couch Potatoes, and Flying Monkeys.

I'll let you take a guess at which two names made it in the finals and what our team name is this season. The kids on my team range from 11-14.

My son is a little younger and his final two would probably be Epic Sauce and Leggo My Flag Yo. I would think those two, along with Angry Birds and Nacho Cheese would be in the mix.

I like the naming idea. My group came up with the Flying Burritos last year, which was definitely not my favorite name.

I'm gonna guess Angry Birds as the winner with Nacho Cheese taking 2nd place.
Close.

So, they got it down to the Old Ladies v the Angry Birds. And? Yep, we're the Old Ladies. They wanted to be the Angry Old Ladies, kids these days.

It was interesting trying to come up with a team chant after the first pratice.

I'm gonna guess Angry Birds as the winner with Nacho Cheese taking 2nd place.
Close.

So, they got it down to the Old Ladies v the Angry Birds. And? Yep, we're the Old Ladies. They wanted to be the Angry Old Ladies, kids these days.

It was interesting trying to come up with a team chant after the first pratice.

Ha! I can imagine...

The Angry Old Ladies? Oh my. How did they come up with voting on that? To funny!!

Do you gear your team cheer around the team name? If so, what is ya'll cheer?

Speaking of team names....this past season we played a team (must have been at least 3-4 games into the season). I asked the coach his team name and he said, "Oh, we don't have one. I guess we never got around to selecting one." Really? I mean c'mon. Frankly this irked me, and we came out firing on them in the first half then let up (they were bigger/faster/older so it was not like we were bullying them). I know that is an odd reaction to them not having a name, but it was my way of saying "coach your team".

The only other coaches that irk me than the ones who are over-zealous about winning are the ones put NOTHING into coaching. They practice only a few times a season, and spend half the practice stretching, run a few plays, and then go through the motions all season. Give your players at least a fighting chance to compete, and if not, at least give the team a name. Ugh!!

The Angry Old Ladies? Oh my. How did they come up with voting on that? To funny!!Do you gear your team cheer around the team name? If so, what is ya'll cheer?
Actually, just Old Ladies. They wanted to be the Angry Old Ladies. The team chant/cheer usually isn't geared around our name, but I came up with something that has Old Ladies in it. One of the kids said he'd come up with some lyrics too. We have an army cadence type thing for one of the cheers, "I don't know but I've been told..." kind of deal. I think our mascot is going to be a walker.
I asked the coach his team name and he said, "Oh, we don't have one. I guess we never got around to selecting one"
I've run across more than my fair share of teams with no name. In the rec leagues we usually do some type of cheer for the opposing team before going through the handshake line. Kinda funky when we have to say..."Team with no name".