Y-coach.com - Forum
WillLennon

New Coach Intro

I coach 6-8 yo 5 v 5 in an i9 League. This is my first year as a head coach, last year (4 & 5 yo) I was an assistant. Last year there was little structure to the practice or games, although the kids had fun. This year I wanted more structure and to develop skills in my players. We had our first practice and game last week. The practice went well, we did a few drills and I installed three basic plays out of the same formation. Defensive game plan was non existent. Kids did great in practice, but seemed to forget everything in the game. We lost 0-7 and only generated one sustained long drive (5-6 plays).

One of the challenges I find with the I9 format is you only have a one hour practice a week and that is right before a game. After practice a lot of the younger kids are tired and have a tough time staying focued. It works well for my scheudule, but I am not sure it is best for kids this age. I cannot change it, so I started looking around the webn for advice and found this site yesterday and have found more info than I could ever retain.

I found a lot of great info on drills, keeping kids engaged, playbooks, etc.

Thanks to all of the contributors, I have refocused my efforts for the upcoming week.

Go Bulldogs!

Will Lennon

One of the challenges I find with the I9 format is you only have a one hour practice a week and that is right before a game. After practice a lot of the younger kids are tired and have a tough time staying focued.
Welcome to the forums Will. The 1 hr practice deal is very common in the rec leagues of all sports; i9 pushes it even further with the "one hour before the game" practice. A big plus to that format is the retention factor for the kids, the downside is what you're experiencing.

I've been coaching in our i9 league for several years now, and to my knowledge, there are no rules against having another practice during the week once in a while. Especially if all the parents know it's not mandatory and won't affect their child's playing time if they can't attend. Another option is asking the parents to show up 10-15 min earlier than the start time, which would allow you 10-15 for some chill time before the game. Both of those options take a bit of selling and finesse though. Just remind the parents that it's never too early to start thinking about that "sports scholarship". heh

Will,

Name of the game is keeping them engaged. Try to look at drills that engage both defense and offense. The less kids you have sitting sidelines and actively engaged, the better the entire team will be come game-day :-)

I coach 6-8 yo 5 v 5 in an i9 League. This is my first year as a head coach, last year (4 & 5 yo) I was an assistant. Last year there was little structure to the practice or games, although the kids had fun. This year I wanted more structure and to develop skills in my players. We had our first practice and game last week. The practice went well, we did a few drills and I installed three basic plays out of the same formation. Defensive game plan was non existent. Kids did great in practice, but seemed to forget everything in the game. We lost 0-7 and only generated one sustained long drive (5-6 plays).

One of the challenges I find with the I9 format is you only have a one hour practice a week and that is right before a game. After practice a lot of the younger kids are tired and have a tough time staying focued. It works well for my scheudule, but I am not sure it is best for kids this age. I cannot change it, so I started looking around the webn for advice and found this site yesterday and have found more info than I could ever retain.

I found a lot of great info on drills, keeping kids engaged, playbooks, etc.

Thanks to all of the contributors, I have refocused my efforts for the upcoming week.

Go Bulldogs!

Will Lennon