Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spider

How To Beat The Blitz For Medium To Long Passes?

I've been a reader for several months. Thanks for all the advise shared by all of the coaches. Your comments have definitely improved my coaching. I've just recently started posting.

I coach 8-9 year olds I9 rules, 7 yard blitz 5 on 5. Currently I beat the blitz with a center drag (runs down the line 5 yds- easy pitch catch) center hots 3-4 yds throw it over the blitzer. Or a run play. But I finally have a good qb and kids that can catch. So I wonder if I'm missing out on some big plays. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to hit the middle of the field or any other ideas. Most defenses in our league play a 2-1-2 zone and blitz the middle guy. I've had some rollout success by holding the safety with play action and throwing down the sideline. But I'm looking for a timing play toward the middle of the field or outside(whatever you've had success with) and how to practice it. I am not a fan of shotgun and my qb has good feet and can move a little. But it seems like a fast blitz guy only gives you 2-3 seconds in the pocket. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm not looking for quick passes, I've got that covered. I'm thinking 8-12 yards will open up my passing game. Thanks

One play we use alot with a good QB is we line up 2 WR on one side, with one out on the sidelines the other in the slot. In a 2-1-2, the defensive corner will line up either shading one or the other WR. We have the QB read this and if the corner is outside the slot WR, we run a 5 step slant over the middle, or if the corner is in tight on the slot guy we fire a quick pass to the sideline WR on the run. This play really stresses the 2-1-2 defense for us and has resulted in several big plays.

Aside from that, any slant or delayed crossing route behind the blitzer would help you stretch the D.

I have a pretty good timing play for that defense. QB under center, wide receivers left and right. Put a slot receiver maybe 5 yards wide, right or left, whatever he is more comfortable with. On the snap, the slot receiver makes a beeline at the 7 yard rusher mark. Our league uses a bean bag that they place in the middle of the field 7 yards back. It gives the slot receiver and the QB something to aim at. The QB merely times it so he throws the ball and it reaches the bean bag around the time the slot receiver gets there. If you have the outside receivers run flags, they should tie up the safeties and give you the entire middle of the field wide open. This is a nice 7 yard pass with lots of room to run in the middle of the field.

Have the center run a go route right down the middle of the field where the rusher is coming from. We stack a side and pump fake the quick pass there and then hit a 20 yard bomb down the middle. TD most of the time. Teams learn quick not to rush me from their safety position.