Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
patandsu

How To Attack A Discipled Non-Blitzing Defense

8-9 year old, I9 rules 5on5.

We are playing our championship game this weekend and are facing a team that is very disciplined, runs a 2-3 defense and does not blitz. We have scored on them in the 2 previous games but both times I have a hard time moving the ball. We have a decent QB but not to the point of the obvious answer which is throw deep. We end up with several 7 second calls, and our run game has not produced much either straight ahead or misdirection.

I have thought of very delayed handoffs, like 5 second delays, or also handing off to my QB so he can run/throw, which would at least make their defense react instead of sitting back.

Anyone have any ideas on overall strategies? I am not asking for plays as much as gameplan ideas.

Thanks

I think you're on the right track with the delayed draw and handing to the qb with run pass option. The key to the halfback pass is how will they react. Will they come in and attack or will they drop into an area and cover the pass? I would have a plan for both. I love this play especially if they dont rush in. I'm hoping you have one more practice before the game. If so, I would encourage you to practice a hurry up offense. So you have this in your back pocket if you get in a pinch and nothing is working. I love coming up with a different wrinkle. Because you know the other coach is expecting what you normally run. You might catch them off guard with the hurry up. Out of your hurry up set I would have set routes that are always the same (to keep it simple for the kids) and the guy that hands off the ball goes out for a pass. The running back can hit the open man or take off running. I used this once and it totally changed the momentum of the 2nd half. We almost won the game. Hit them with the hurry up after they just covered all your players deep. Your guys are sprinting back to the line of scrimmage and they probably are not.

Describe for me the defense. Do the 2 kids up front play wide? Are they right on the los? How far back do the safeties play? Do they play 3 deep across or does one drop down closer in the middle?

How does this team defend runs right up the middle? On a pass play what kind of drops do they take?

In general if the other team was giving me time to let plays develop, I'd let them develop. I'd use elaborate misdirections and routes. I'd place my QB under center and have him standing right on the los making passes. I'd run delayed handoffs too.

Give me some more info so I can be more specific.

Orange. From what i remember, they drop the middle kid deep, leaving some room on short routes over the middle. They don't play wide up front, tend to pinch in for runs not on a the LOS, but have good speed which has caused me trouble getting to the corner. I run a quick motion play with my speedy kid taking the handoff full speed from left to right and that usually gets the corner, but this team sees it coming and adjusts.

Most of my playbook and practices has focused on quick action to take the rush out of the picture, but this team throws a wrench in it. I only have one practice left to put anything new in place, but will work in delayed HO and long crosses behind the defenders.

THanks for the help.

We played a team that pinched their up front guys in for runs. Here is one of the things I did using a balanced set, QB under center, RB behind QB, 1 WR right, 1 left.

We ran the ball up the middle and they would bring those up front guys hard to cut it off.

Then I ran the same play and faked the handoff which baited those up front guys in. My WRs stepped 1 yard past the los and moved towards the sidelines and was wide open. After the fake, the QB turned and threw over the defenders head for an easy pass and catch. It was a 1 yard pass but he had all kinds of room to run. Then it was one-on-one with the WR and the safety. Make the one kid miss and you have 6 points.

I'd go back to the up the middle handoff every once in a while to keep them honest. Eventually they'd bring the safety down or perhaps the safety would cheat down anticipating my sideline short pass. This is where it got fun. Fake the handoff then run a pump and go with the WR.

By the way, I'd call that WR pattern a "sideline sit." It was the simplest of things but I think the description helps the kid get what he's supposed to do. I really wanted him to get to a certain spot and sit there and wait for the pass. I knew where he'd be, he'd be wide open. What I didn't want was him drifting downfield towards the safety who could make a play on the ball. The defense was relying on the close defender or corner to cover that area but since he pinched in for the run, it left that short flat wide.

We have a team on our league who played in a similar fashion. They did blitz but not ever time and were very disciplined when they stayed back.

They kept their front two a little tighter than what yours sounds like, but they were wide enough we could run up the middle. They relied on their back three, who played tight to pick up the run.

On pass plays, they relied on the blitz, if sent, or the outside guys in the back to cover the edges. They left the middle up to the nose to drop back.

One thing we did score on against them was a misdirection pass sort of play.

We set up in a balanced formation. We ran the LWR on a slant to the middle and the center ran a slant toward the right sideline. The RB ran a wide toward the right sideline, as well.

We had the RWR take a couple steps forward then run towards the middle of the field, parallel to the line of scrimmage. The QB would roll to the right toward and as he and the RWR passed, he would flip the ball to him.

If they were blitzing, the blitzer changed directions and followed the QB who rolled right away/ We got the ball out quick enough that the WR caught it underneath the blitz and in stride. He would cut up field with only one guy to beat and the whole left side of the field to work with.

If they didn't blitz it was the same idea, he just had a foot race to the sideline. Bare minimum, it was good for decent yardage, regardless.

It might help to run a similar play before somethign like that, to set it up.

We used a very similar design, only having the center run a drag right at the line and the RWR holding. We had the QB looking at the center the whol time and the center calling for the ball. At the last second the QB drops the ball down, without ecen looking and the RWR takes it.

The two usually worked pretty well together.

Just an update. We put in the new plays, moved the ball well against them, but lost by 6. We had 2 drives that ended in either a dropped wide open 10 yard TD, and a drop where we could have walked into the endzone. So, my kids outplayed them, which made me feel good, but those dropped passes cost them the game.

Thanks for the ideas guys, they did work, just didn't have the talent to make catches when they needed it.