Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ROJAS

Best Defense Against A Fast Qb/option?

I have a big game against a team who have two great athletes they pretty much just run plays through the entire time. I play in a 5 on 5 9-11 year old league where the QB cannot run.

They hike the ball to a player who hand offs to thier best player who is thier QB giving him the option to pass or run once they hand off the ball to him. We got burned really bad against this guy last time so I am trying to find the best defense against this team. He normally...fake pumps which my kids bite on almost every time or he throws it deep to thier other superstar. This kid loves to keep the ball so its the running and juking I am worried about. I was able to eliminate thier deep threat last game which is where I made the mistake. I was so focused on that so it left him the time to run most downs. Any advice is appreciated.

I run an 8 on 8 team, so what I throw out here is conjecture more than anything else.

I've always coached with the idea of making the offense do what it doesn't want to do, or at least take away their favorite options.

In your case, I'm thinking that Star#1(QB/RB) likes to run first, throw to Star#2 second, right? I think if you have someone who can do a fair job with the receiver, consider putting two players man to man on the RB, outside and inside. It'll take some coaching, as they'll need to ensure that the outside defender - regardless of which way he runs - doesn't let him get to the outside. Force him back inside to the other defender.

The only option at that point is to look for one of those players who isn't as good, or at least isn't one of their stars. And with three defenders occupied with containing those, your remaining two players will need to be smart and sharp in order to play an effective zone, but I think it's at least possible that if these two are accustomed to running the show, they'll get frustrated and possibly force a few things.

Also, if that first guy doesn't get the handoff, then one guy sticks man to man with him, and the other joins in to help the zone defense.

I don't know if it will work, or if this even helps, but good luck!

Have a defender mirror the player that winds up with the ball with the run/pass option. Keep that defender close to the line if scrimmage before the snap. As soon as the hand off or pitch takes place, have that player blitz. Once that hand off happens, the 7 yard rush does not apply.

It will make the player with the ball rush the play.

• Like 1

Good advice from Thrawn87, exactly what I was thinking as soon as read the original post.

Get on top of the line of scrimmage and watch for the hand-off, then get to him before he can really get going. You also want your player to ignore the pass and just go for the flags. Let your other defenders play pass protection.

I totally agree with the coaches above. I played vs. A team that ran similar plays, I coach 6 vs 6 so I ran a 4-2 defense. Two ends/cbs out wide 2 lbs 5 yards apart and two safetys deep. As soon as they handed off to their stud player ( who was their rb/qb player) my two lbs crossed the line of scrimmage pulling his flag almost immediately. Needless to say they stopped running plays through him.