Y-coach.com - Forum
Dave Chatelain

2Nd Year Coach Needs Advice!

Heya all!

My name is Dave Chatelain. I am 28 years old and live in Holland. I have been playing ball since I was 4.

Almost got drafted for the -16 dutch national team. I know the fundamentals and get lots of help from

parents and other coaches.

My problem is not the game. I coach kids ages 9-13. Some of the kids are acting up and demotavating

the younger players. Having a bit of trouble motavating them to give it all during trainings. Even playing dodgeball

(focusing on the trow) which all the kids love btw. I keep the trainings fun but hard.

Is there anyone that can give me tips on how to deal with the problems I'm facing. Don't want to loose members.

We aren't as big as the clubs in the states, amd we only have this team for the youth.

Thanks alot for taking your time to read this and hope u can help me out!!

Hi Dave,

This is not an uncommon problem and can take some hard work to fix things up. My ultimate recommendation is to take the PCA (positive coaching alliance) Double Goal Coach program. They offer outstanding tools and information to help coaches manage the "mental/psychological" side of coaching.

I also offer the following advice-

1) Set expectations to your players and their parents- As the manager of the team you need to set expectations of how players are expected to act on the field. This should include consequences for ignoring the team rules. PCA talks about Honoring the game and R.O.O.T.S - Honoring Rules, Officials, Opponents, Teammates, Self.

2) You need to enlist help - Other coaches and parents to help you enforce team rules (No negative talk, Paying attention, etc.) Each time a player breaks the team rules they need to be given the consequences immediately. Whether its running poles, taking a lap, being taken off the field to sit the bench for a certain amount of time, asked to leave the field, whatever. It needs to be 100% consistent for it to work.

3) Another process you can try and use is the team concept of discipline. When one player acts up, the entire team has to run, do the exercises, etc. This can be effective and players can learn to self regulate their teammates. However, it can also cause resentment between players if one player just wants to clown all the time and never takes anything seriously.

I wish you luck and I hope some of this helps!

That's quite a wide gap in the age group. It's too bad it couldn't be split into two, but it sounds like your area doesn't have much of a choice.

Coach's advice is great. You have to set the tone early of what you expect and the repercussions for certain behavior.

On the first day of any season, I sit the kids down and tell them what kind of team we're going to be; good teammates, encouraging, if someone gets a hit we congratulate, if someone strikes-out we lift them up, etc, etc.

This also applies to the parents as well. I talk with them as a whole before the season begins and lay out my expectations of the kids and what my goals are.

So they know well in advance if one of their kids is acting-up, bullying or has a poor attitude they will be sat or punished to some degree.

Another thing that helped me was to be very prepared for each practice. I've seen kids eat coaches alive who were disorganized or didn't have any confidence in what they were doing.

I'm not saying you're like that. I'm just throwing that out there for other new coaches who may be looking for advice.

I come into each practice very ready with a gameplan and stick to it. The kids feed off of that and they pay better attention for it.

Good luck!