Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cashflow50

Qb Mental Issues Help

We play a 5 on 5 flag i9 rules. My QB has issues on locking in on one receiver that we call a play for. If I call a play for 'Y' he locks on that receiver. This QB is good and accurate, but tends to lock. I always preached to him that even though I call a play for 'Y' doesn't mean to go at him. He has to learn to check down on the next and nearest available receiver. Any Ideas. Help is much appreciated.

Is he a 1st time QB? if so you have to give him time to get adjusted to it? If hes not then you need to do drills to teach him to read the defense and move his eyes around.Just do like a 3 off vs 5 def with 2 WR & the QB.Have them run there routes and have him scan the field.How old is he?

Thanks for the reply RB70. He's 7 yrs of age and has a gun for an arm. He played QB for the 6U group and did pretty well. Although at that age the coach will instruct him to throw it in real time, since he's standing about 5 steps behind him. Now hes moved up to the 8U group. Got faster and taller kids in this division. Coaches actually signals in a play from the sidelines. I believe he was used to just being told to throw it to 'players name', because the coach standing directly behind him could read the defenses. What to do now he's at the 8U level. And you might be correct as he needs more time and game under his belt. This kid has potential and I want him to succeed.

Is he a 1st time QB? if so you have to give him time to get adjusted to it? If hes not then you need to do drills to teach him to read the defense and move his eyes around.Just do like a 3 off vs 5 def with 2 WR & the QB.Have them run there routes and have him scan the field.How old is he?

I assume that he doesn't have anything more than a 2 route read at this age.

At the 6/7 year old level last year we ran one play that gave the QB the option to choose his receiver.....even then (was still in the huddle) I occasionally had to make the Deep call for the QB to go ahead and let her rip.

Play we ran was basically a flood of the zone. 3 yard out and 12 yard fly. Almost all teams played zone at this age due to the threat of end around if you pull your coverage into M2M.

To rep it in practice I would play DB (the man we were attempting to put in conflict and would choose a receiver to cover. QB had to read me and throw to the open receiver. They got pretty good at it. We then added a 2nd DB and would double cover 1 receiver or at times cover both which signaled to the QB to throw it away (no QB run).

Reps, Reps, and more Reps that simulate the game situations the best you can.....how many reps....I don't know but as many as you can get till it becomes 2nd nature. Run your reps at pace and don't waste a lot of time instructing. Even an 8 Year old understands when he has success in this type of drill (Completed Pass). Remind them to get there front shoulder pointed at the target, feet set etc but don't over coach it....the read is what you are repping.

Consider working on his peripheral vision. In the youth basketball forum, one of the coaches (either Rob or Orange) had a drill to help with that.

Update: Its been 4 games in and my QB has been solid as the games progressed. 1st game he had 4 picks 0tds. 2nd game 1 pick 1td pass. 3rd game 0 picks 3 td passes. 4th game 0 picks 5td passes. 2-2 for the seaason at this point.

So you guys were right. Just let him adapt. He even calls audibles at the line. I believe I have my QB for several seasons in the 8U div. He just has to work hard at practice everytime.