Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
WillLennon

New I9 Rule For Our League, Thoughts?

Had our coaches meeting today and were told that there was a new rule instituted. Each player is limited to 4 carries (runs) per game. This does not include passes. It is my responsibility to track the other teams carries and the opposing coach to track mine. The intent is to prevent the coach from relying on one player (his "horse") too much. I am coaching K-1, 5v5. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts?

Thanks

Coach Will

Excellent rule! We've had this discussion several times on the board. It's tough when another team consistently runs their best player(s) against a backdrop of "every kid plays" and "ball touches for everyone".

Coaches get too wrapped up in winning at all costs and lose sight of the purpose i9 is trying to convey. We always keep our own stats on ball touches just to make sure our kids are getting their fair share. I had a volunteer alert me as to who needed touches. If someone had less than the others in a game, we made it up the next game.

If I were in your situation, I'd probably ask for two volunteers (or one if they could handle it) to track theirs and yours. That person could keep you up to date on who needs touches for your team during the game. If you take the angle of making sure you spread out the touches on your team, it will show up on their tracking system and hopefully influence them to spread the ball touches.

Too bad the league had to get to this point where they needed a mandatory rule on how many carries. Bet you still run into coaches who find a way around it (passing) and still miss the point of spreading the ball touches around.