Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dnewberry

7V7 6-8Yo Help

I am trying to figure out if there is something I am not getting. We have played two games so far and lost both. I'm not worried about that since only one of my players have ever played flag football before. But I got parents and asst. coaches that are saying that we need to get all the players a chance to touch the ball. Now by doing this, it is very hard to get here kids organized fast enough in the huddle to form a play. I have had the ref tell me twice that we needed to hurry up in the huddle. I have seen that both the other teams that we played are having the kids stay in the same positions. So their huddles are quick. My question is do I lean more to having the kids stay in one or two positions or keep moving them around so they get ball time? What has worked for you?

I'm curious if your league has any rules or guidelines regarding ball touches? If all the kids on those other teams are staying in the same positions, I can't imagine they are making sure the same kids aren't getting the ball every time. At the 6-8 yr old level in flag, I think it is very important to spread the touches. Playing 7v7 makes it a lot more challenging.

Sounds like most of your players are new, so I'd design some simple plays and make sure they get the touches. What worked for me is getting the kids in the backfield that needed touches and just doing it. I didn't have them play the same positions each game, but my plays were simple enough for anyone to understand. For the more developing players, I'd try to add a good fake going the opposite way with one of my better players before handing it off to them.

Teach your kids to a) not look down to see if their flag was pulled and b)run hard and not to stop until they hear the whistle. You'll be surprised how far some of them can get on a simple handoff.

Don't worry about the score at this point. Have someone on the sideline track the touches so you know who needs them during the game. If not every one gets a touch that game, make sure they get the first touches in the next game. You'll run into other teams who are out to win at all costs, even it if means handing off to the same two fast runners every time. Can't worry about them either.