Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
midwaymonster

5V5 Defense

Hey guys, This is my first yr coaching 3rd&4th grade flag football. I am the 2nd coach on our team in charge of D. I have plenty of 1st time players on D and one who is particularly slow and doesn’t quite understand the game yet. So my question is where could i put him without hurting our D and what would be the best defense to run with 1st time players.

Currently Use:

3-2

2-3

5 Across

Diagrams are welcome! Thanks

Hmm thats a tough one. I know sometimes when I get a player who is underperfoming it feels like 4-on-5 flag football.

I usually stick to the 3-2 and put my best safety behind my worst corner. I've read of people who put the worst at LB, but I prefer a fast LB who can stuff the run without much help.

I will put the least advanced kids at CB and tell them their one job is to not let anyone get past them to the sideline. Position them to block the edge, and just force the play back inside to the LB and safeties. Or stack them on the ball in a 2-3 and tell them their one job is to attack the RB as soon as they see a handoff.

Both ideas sound great. I'm a first year coach so.. I've been running 3-2 sometimes pulling my mlb up a step or two kind of a 2-1-2. Possibly the 1 spot would be a good for a player you speak of; slow and unaware. Then he's centrally located.

Thanks for the response. I've actually thought of putting him in the LB spot on 3-2 but the problem i had with that is when we went to 2-3 he does not drop back (he is having a hard time understanding formation). I did try to stack a safety behind him but on the 1st play he were burned by a reverse with him "picking" his own LB. i am still thinking of safety on D. Any thoughts?

Probably too late to this party, but I'd abandon the 5 across. With regards to your player, remember this is 3rd/4th grade flag football. Giving those developing players a chance to grow and learn is part of this whole coaching gig. Sticking him in a position where he can't get into too much trouble also won't give him the opportunities to get better.

• Like 1