Y-coach.com - Forum
djmrg

Need Help Defeating A 4-3 Zone Defense

We are a NYS 7 man league(8-10 year old) with no rushing and a 5 second count on the QB. We are in our 8th season and the team has a great record in past seasons. We were anticipated to go undefeated and we just lost to this team who shut down our powerhouse offense by running a 4 front 3 safety zone. We have about 15 plays that can run either right or left with a good mix of pass, pitch and run.

The 4 men up front played about 3 yards back and only allowed real short plays. The three floating deep safety's took away our deep game. I am thinking we need crossing routes over the middle or overload plays to compensate when we see them in the tournament, but would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

My first suggestion is to design plays specifically for this team. Then practice against a 4-3 pointing out where the weaknesses will be and how to exploit them.

I’m assuming there’s a rush after 5 seconds? Is that from anywhere?

A few ideas:

Make the corners on each side commit to a receiver and throw to the other one. For example, if you have two WR's out wide on each side, one goes deep along the sidelines (decoy), the other can run a shorter route under the corner. The center can run a deep route up the middle to occupy the safety on each of these.

You could also take a WR out wide on each side and have them run slants in towards middle. That should get both outside LB’s in the 4 set to commit. Then take two receivers from the LOS and send them out in the flats towards sidelines.

Take a WR on each side and have them run at the corners and take two TEs running routes out to the flats. Again center or another los player runs deep route

Have a slot out to the right, two WR’s out wide right, one runs deep route, the other one runs a slant route across the middle, center runs another deep route. Have another receiver next to center on right go 5 yards and run route to the right sideline. Fake the hand off to the slot, receiver headed toward right sideline should be open.

I’m thinking a few successful curl patterns in front of a corner, then throw in a pump and go should also work.

All these ideas rely heavily on passing though.