Y-coach.com - Forum
ThunderingHerdQB

Good Plays For League With Immediate Rushers

Our league has seven players on the field at once. One designated rusher can come right at the snap. It's 1st grade flag football, so often if the other team sends a quick player, they can easily disrupt the play.

Any suggestions on plays that would work well in this type of league. Maximum number of linemen is 3 and they cannot extend arms to block.

Thanks in advance!

My first thought is why in the world would a league allow an immediate rusher at the 1st grade level? It defeats the purpose of teaching the younger players how to play. A rush is definitely part of football, but it would be similar to allowing steals in basketball at that age level. They'd never learn the fundamentals. Enough with the rant.

My first question is can the QB run? If they can, I'd stack most of my players to the left side out wide, have one off to the right in a slot position and fake the hand off to him for a QB keeper. You could set it up by executing the hand off on the first down. The OB keeper with a fake is gold, especially if the fake is good and the QB is fast.

Another option we used was the FLOOD play. You can probably find it on here somewhere, I think I posted it as an example for the person who asked for a play template recently. The concept is all of the players head off on diagonal routes except one, who comes behind them and runs the opposite way along the los. Since the players are running pass routes, it's technically not blocking, but it sure does slow down the rusher.

Other than that, you'll have to train your kids to execute the plays quicker. If you don't want the rusher in your backfield disrupting plays, keep it simple with quick hard hitting plays.

It's probably going to boil down to execution rather than the play you run. If they can be good at fakes, run hard north/south - no weaving or juking, don't look down to see if their flag was pulled, and don't stop until they hear the whistle, you're gold. Most of time, I find that it isn't the actual plays that make a difference, it's the fundamentals within those plays.

Thanks a bunch Coach Rob. Totally agree with the rant, but it's the reality of the league we have. Yes, the QB can run, but only once every four plays...the intent there is try and use mutliple players on the field so that the QB doesn't monopolize all the action. I appreciate your suggestions and think they're great. We have done mostly north/south running with a very quick handoff to a RB in an I formation behind the QB. It has set up QB keeper fakes as well as a quick fake to the RB and quick pass to a slot receiver. Thanks again for the ideas!