Y-coach.com - Forum
chillyc

To Stay At Home Or Swarm?

Hi coaches.

First I'd like to say thanks for all the great info you have all shared. I've used a bunch of it last year and this season. What a great website!

I'm coaching a 5-7 year old flag football team. I'm curious if you think it's best to have the kids stay at home on defense or swarm to the ball carrier.

Thanks.

At that age with out a doubt its better to stress swarming than worry about getting burned by them leaving their home position. Your biggest worry about them 'leaving home' is if the other team can pull off a reverse, which really comes more into play later in the season as its hard to get the execution down right on a reverse at that age.

I'm with macvolcan, swarm. I think you increase your odds of pulling a flag with the swarm, especially if you don't see a potential reverse in the backfield. I'd add one thing though and that's contain. With the 5-7 y/o group, you will probably find a kid or two that can reverse field and burn you though. So, I'd teach them to swarm and contain the runner as a group.