Y-coach.com - Forum
Kodiakid

No Huddle Playbook

btw when i first ran this offense, i put it in the last two games of one season knowing I would need a change up to win the championship. Then never looked back. It really took those two games and another full season to fully get it in and understand where I needed to make changes and adjust it to my personnel where need be. I certainly don't follow it to a "t" and because we practice so fast we have time to put in some other special plays that we might huddle for.

Also don't neglect defense. Defense allowed us to put points on the board quickly.

In regards to formations. Almost all defenses try to predict offensive play calling by formation. Being able to run 80% of your offense out of any formation, is huge and a great way to keep the defense off balance.

Kodiakid,

Thanks for the replies, lots of good info there.

Two things I am changing this season- 1) Less emphasis on reading defenses to pick the play (which slows us down), focus more on playing fast, 2) Spend more time working on defense which was good but not great last season.

You mentioned that defense looks at formation to predict plays. The inverse is true as well- good coaches look at the opposing defensive setup to call offensive plays. I am going to try and throw a curve at those coaches this year. I feel like no matter what defense you pick, a good coach will know the weakness of that defense and adjust and call plays to take advantage of those weaknesses (I do). So I am planning on showing one defense and at the snap convert to a different defense. I have loaded an example on youtube showing lining up in a 1-3-1 and at the snap moving to a 2-1-2:

By waiting until the snap, the opposing coach will likely be watching his players and the ball and may not realize that we are not really playing a 1-3-1, and continue to call plays that work against a 1-3-1. I have tried to minimize the amount of movement- only 3 of the 5 defenders move and to the closest position from where they initially line up. Those 3 players are my strongest defenders also and should have no problem with the shift. My plan is to teach them the actual defense first and add the shift/disguise after they fully understand the defense. What do you think of this idea?

Tim

Great playbook, i've had success with it against zones, especially any 2-3 or 1-3-1 zones. Moving up to 12 & under I often see the umbrella type M2M defense. Tight coverage on wide outs (like 2 yards off the line), 2 defenders about 3-7 yards off the ball to cover slot and center and 1 deep safety. Motion works pretty well for moving defenders around and opens play action too. The bubble-go works when it is executed well but any under thrown balls can be an easy pick 6. What do you guys like to call? Also, do you guys use X/Z over for bubbles?

Hi calewine,

I am coaching 9-11 so I do not see much M2M. In a game last season when we saw it we ran alot of X/Zover and Sour/Saint Louis (outside run) to the side of the field opposite of the WRs and they really couldn't stop it. If you want to pass I would design some type of crossing pattern where a defender would likely get picked off his man.

We had our first game of this season last Friday and it was a big success again running this offense. We were up 40-7 at halftime so I stopped the hurry-up in the 2nd half to try and keep from running the score up. This was despite the fact that my players are still learning the plays and I would frequently have to tell the QB to wait and show or tell them what to do. We had a great defensive game as well with 4 picks although I have not implemented the disguise of my defense yet that I showed a couple of posts up. This may be the best overall team I have coached yet as I don't have any real weak players.

Tim

Yes, I am as well cazador. My first year coaching and I'm trying to piece together a playbook based on things I've found online - including this one. Most of it seems to be for 5 or 7 man, so lots of converting. How is it going for you?

Here is a video from our game last Friday of the X Bubble play that almost went for a TD because the receiver correctly took it outside:

A little more difficult to run some of these plays against a 6 man defense IMO.....but the concepts are workable....also, very difficult to run the ball effectively against a 6 man defense once the kids get older. (5th grade)

Teams in our league are just too fast to make the running plays work, except when the runs come after the passing game has softened them up a bit.

Just one mans opinion.

Nice bubble play in that video!

Interesting. Players in our division are 13-14 years old and we had a lot of success on the ground. They adjusted at first and we opened up the playbook vertically, then they spread back out and we just kept running to eventually seal the win. Way more offensive success in this game than our first. We do have two incredibly fast/quick guys on the team though which really helps the run. I'm looking forward to having a chance to run the bubble play but that first team just didn't give up on our outside receivers. Maybe they didn't expect a team to run as much as we did, as this league is typically pass heavy. We did have good success going deep though after the ground game was established.

I ended up taking the 6th player and putting him in a FB role that I could then swing out to slot receiver for more of a spread look. So we ran similar plays out of about two different looks, and with the deep I formation they weren't sure which player was getting the ball and which direction they were going. Worked well. Like I said, way more success adapting this playbook than the miniature one I had cooked up before our first game.

I wanted to post an update after the season ended last Friday. I decided to go away from the no-huddle offense about midway through the season for 3 reasons- 1) we were not getting any advantage with the hurry-up as the teams were ready for it, 2) some of my players were still having a hard time remembering the plays leading to wrong routes or having to show them the play from the book, 3) the other teams had learned the plays from running them the last 3 seasons and adjusted so it just wasn't working as well. So we began huddling and I added some additional plays from the forums here. We ended up 6-1 after the switch and after changing my defense from a 2-1-2 to a 1-1-3 in the playoffs, we dominated both of our playoff games and won the championship. The championship game was unbelievable, we were ahead of the previously unbeaten team 52-8 by mid 2nd half by virtue of 6 interceptions. So my conclusion is this offense is good, but in a league like ours, where most of the coaches return every season, it may need to be supplemented once the other teams adjust.