Y-coach.com - Forum
TNDoc

12-15 Year Old Plays

Any ideas on plays for 12-15 yo 5 on 5 flag? Not sure how advanced should make plays. Over past 4 years with younger ages kept pretty simple. Is it best to continue that or will 12 yo's playing with 15's be able to handle advanced plays while getting matched up with 15's? We can pitch, backward passes allowed, 7 yard rush.

Kick it up a notch with this group for sure. I'd highly recommend adding the Peyton Manning touch to your offense, have some fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik6Z7bq3njI

We had a few audibles that meant something, but a lot of times they meant nothing. The kids had a blast with the whole audible thing.

As far as plays go, I think you can definitely add a few wrinkles in there with 12 y/o's.

I have to ask? Why 12 yr olds matching up against 15 yr olds? That's a problem imo. BIG difference in maturity, size and athletic ability.

That is how the league has been for three years I think originally due to numbers. This year I am league director so looking to change the age brackets to make more fair in my opinion. Most years each age group is lucky to have a couple qb's capable of really running an offense that is really wide open. In past I have run conservative short passing offense that are high percentage but thinking after 12 should be able to open it up. Any specific ideas?

If you are looking to get more vertical in the passing game there are lots of philosophies. Your throw short approach good work well to setup the long throw. If you are looking for a more immediate approach, the smash concept works well and is great against any coverage. You can also run it as an inside and outside concept. It's also an easy read for the QB.

Outside concept: You have 2 receivers. The outside receiver runs a hitch while the inside receiver runs a corner. If the cornerback jumps the hitch, throw the corner. If the cornerback sinks, throw the hitch.

Inside concept: 2 receivers. Inside receiver runs a hitch and outside receiver runs a post. If the hitch gets jumped, throw the post.

Another genius concept is called "steal." I never thought it could work until I tried it myself. You pick a defender, usually a deep one. You have the QB throw the ball right at them while your WR comes underneath and "steals" the ball. The defender will stay put waiting for the ball making it an easy catch and run.