Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Steve

Shot-put Throwing

I have about 3 or 4 kids on my team that release the ball really low, down around their ear, almost like they are pushing the ball. I have tried everything I can think of to get them to straighten their arm out and release higher...nothing works. Most of these kids have really strong arms and would really benefit from proper mechanics.

I just read about throwing from one knee and am going to try it. Does anyone else know of some drills I can use? I'm stuck here.

Try this little poem the Diamondbacks use in their training camps. "Thumb to thigh, Fingers to sky, Step and let it fly." Make sure that the fingers are on top of the baseball, facing away from the player. Most kids think that they have to turn their wrists while throwing. What they don't realize is that the step and trunk rotation is what brings their hand around to the throwing position. Good Luck.

I've coahed the little guys for a while and have seen this often...the shot-put throw.

Here's what I do...

First they usually throw "open" or with their chest facing the target. I get them to turn their body sideways to their target and have them point their glove hand elbow at the target...I call it "GUNSIGHT" and tell them it's like a video game and this is their "cursor" for firing. You can usually find photos showing this in SI or on baseball cards to illustrate.

Second I teach the "L"....that is to make a "L" with their throwing arm ( forearm and upper arm) and not a "V" which is what most Shotput throwers do, putting the ball against or near the ear.

Then step and throw , using their whole body and not just their arm or upper body.

Once they get the hang of it, it is eay to remind them with the word..."GUNSIGHT-L".

ALSO:

Teach them how to properly hold the baseball...Fingers on top, thumb (or as I tell them...the rudder) on the bottom and to throw using their fingers. Alot of the kids who shotput throw I found usually put the ball all the way back into their hand (almost like a change-up) which is why they can't THROW it and have to PUSH it. Get the ball out in the fingers.

You'll be surprised how quick they pick this up and improve...I know I have been.