Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
pckidcoach

Hitting A Basketball Off A Tee

As Forest Gump would say "I may not be a smart man".

I am not real sure what the purpose of this would be other than maybe to help develop power somewhat like a boxer using a heavy bag? I would think that it may be a bit more effective with a slightly deflated basketball, though I have never used this method.

Hopefully someone will respond who has tried this and let us know if they saw any positive results.

Schann

I have used this drill. It helps with the kids that stop their bats when they contact the ball, thus not driving the ball when they hit. This reinforces that. However, you should be careful as some of the kids complain of sore wrists after this drill. Good Luck

I guess that makes sense. It might help with follow through and increase arm strength some. I've heard "through the grapevine of course" that a couple of teams using this drill have seen dramatic improvement in how hard they hit the baseball.

A similar drill that may be beneficial is to use water logged baseballs. It does the same thing as a basketball, but makes the hitter focus on a smaller object. With this drill, I'd recommend using an older bat in case of denting.